What Is The Best Way To Buy A Reliable Used Vehicle?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by PennyPincher • Feb 13, 2016.

1. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    When buying a used car, you normally have a choice of buying from a private owner, getting one from a buy here pay here car lot, going to an auto auction or buying from a large dealer that sells both new and newer model used cars. Which way of buying a used car do you think is best to guarantee you get a good quality car at a reasonable price?

2. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I would say a reputable dealer who sells new and previously owned vehicles. Most offer a warranty or have certified vehicles on their lots. Certified vehicles have to meet the manufacturer's inspection criteria to be certified before resale as such. An additional plus would be a Carfax report available upon request on vehicles with warranties.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have only 2 experiences in buying a used car. First is the Gemini that we saw in the classified ads. Second is the Honda Civic that was owned by our bank's executive. The first car turned out to have so many problems that included a leaking roof. But with the second car, there was practically no problem at all that's why it was a neat lesson that you should only buy a used car when you know the owner and that you can trust him with the condition of the car.

4. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know if the used car dealer would be a better bet than the a private owner. Some used car dealers are just agents for the seller ( the owner leaves the car on the dealer's lot who gets a commission if the car is sold), therefore, the lot owner does not always make the necessary checks to ensure that the vehicle is in good condition. The onus is on the purchaser to have a reliable mechanic and body man check the vehicle to ensure it's worthiness.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of this before ".Some used car dealers are just agents for the seller." Interesting... I thought that inventory on a used car lot was as a trade-in for another vehicle. To receive a commission from a car dealer that vehicle would have to be in demand I would think.

6. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    In my country (Jamaica) this situation do exist. There are persons who will provide a lot and invite persons who, wish to dispose of their vehicle, to place it on the lot.The lot owner would take care of the sales process, and collect his commission from the person selling the vehicle.

7. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    @explorerx7@explorerx7. Well that explains a lot. I live in the U.S. Who knows, this may even occur here too. People can people very creative when it comes to making money all around the world and you have to give them their props.

8. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I'd say via a friend ideally. That way you know they are far less likely to try and feed you lies, and you'll still be around to hassle them if it does go wrong. If you are in need of a car and don't know anyone selling at the moment, take someone with you who knows what they are looking for (problem wise).

9. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    Thanks for the replies. I have only bought at buy here pay here lots recently and have not had the best luck. My problem is never having a large down payment because a bank will usually only finance a vehicle up to 80% around here. The van I am driving now was bought at a buy here pay here last September and my goodness we have had to put a lot into it to keep it running. I am hoping this is the last time I have to buy a vehicle from this type of dealer.

10. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes 'buy here pay here' dealers have good reputations and dependable vehicles. If a dealer doesn't have or isn't willing to foot the cost of a Carfax to make a sale I would question the reliability of the inventory on the lot. You would probably do better to find a mechanic or someone who is familiar with vehicles and check online for your next purchase. Before you do though, consider purchasing your own Carfax if you really want the vehicle. I'm not sure how much one report cost but it surely will help in avoiding the purchase of another 'lemon' in the future.

Be up front with the owner of the vehicle about the Carfax and if the owner doesn't agree and refuses to give you the information to obtain a Carfax before you hand over cash then walk away. If the owner agrees he has nothing to hide regarding the reliability of the vehicle. If the owner should have a Carfax make sure it's a recent one.

#10Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Purchasing a used vehicle is treaty business. I do have a friend that works on cars who will check out any car I want to purchase to make sure I am getting a good deal or the vehicle does need repairs it is something he can do at a price that is reasonable. I have purchase brand new vehicles and got lemons so who is to say a used can not be a good deal.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have bought used cars in my time and every time I ask my mechanic to look at it before I buy it. I ask the dealer and my mechanic about it and they both agree to have the business done the way I want it to be done before I buy a used car. I bought the used car twice and both times they were gems, no problems at all. This way I get what I want with the maximum safety for driving too. Good luck!