What is the book that you can keep coming back to?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Webene • Dec 21, 2014.

1. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    Some novels connect with us more than others, and some have a plot or characters that we never get tired of. While reading a book multiple times can get boring because the plot might not have the same appeal, some books we could read many times more. These books hold a special place with us, as every time we read them, there might be something missed from a small plot hole to a funny moment. What book can you or have you read multiple times, and never get bored of?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only book I read almost every year is Alice In Wonderland. It's the not that the story is very interesting or something. I like the way Lewis Carroll used words. He was a master of word-play and each time I read the book his skills never fail to impress me. In any case the book is also somewhat humorous and that gets another point in the book's favor.

3. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    I have never read Alice in Wonderland before, but I think you may have convinced me to give it a try to see the word-play you describe. For me, the book - or books in this case - would be the Harry Potter series. There's something magical (excuse the pun) about the series, and I find re-reading the books to still be enjoyable. The plot obviously doesn't change, but I really enjoy the character's interactions throughout the series and watching the change in each character. Also, a lot of the foreshadowing can be picked up on during subsequent readings. Every time I read it, there seems to be a detail that I had previously missed which adds to the enjoyment.

4. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    A few books I can always reread, which I have done so, are:

Art of War by Sun Tzu; I can never get enough in reading this materpiece of literature, because every time I read it I understanding it with a broaden perception and learning something new.

Dao De Ching by Lao Tzu; similar to Art of War, every time I had re-read this book, I've learned something new about the book and in reflection, my understand of myself.

Lord of the Rings, Hobbit and Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien; The main fantasy/history books I will alway have in my library, it is far more amazing the films could ever capture and it resonates deeply with me because I've learned that it is in fact J.R.R. Tolkien's mythos to the history of humans.

There are so many other books I've read that had a profound effect to change my mind, but it will be too long winded, plus my memory of all these books is too foggy these days.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've read the first few Harry Potter books quite a number of times when I was in my teens. When I started working, however, Books 5, 6 and 7 became a chore. I couldn't muster enough stamina or find enough time for reading them. Haruki Murakami's novels - Kafka on the Shore and Sputnik Sweetheart - are always a welcome respite from this mundane world. I've also read Isabel Allende's House of the Spirits and Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire several times (can't get enough of Louis).

6. helpingcollier4

helpingcollier4Member

Threads:
    I keep coming back to The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. Lewis' writing has always captivated me, beginning when I was a child reading his Chronicles of Narnia books. As I got older, I found myself drawn to his faith-driven works, especially Mere Christianity. In Screwtape, Lewis takes Christians inside the mind of a demon whose assignment is to disrupt the Christian's life and make him/her ineffective in pleasing God. As a follower of Jesus, I am challenged every time I read the book to increase my devotion to God. I strongly recommend it to all the Christians I know, and I even recommend it to non-Christians as a fine example of mid-20th century writing. C.S. Lewis is a treasure!

7. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Harry Potter series is also my go-to books. I've read each probably 3 times now and I'm sure I'll one day reread them again. It's really a great book and really captivating. You can just get lost to it and forget reality for a few hours. I also love Twilight series, despite the negative reviews about it, it's really a great book with great characters and interesting story. :p

8. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I don't read that much (I should really read more) but a book that I always seem to go back to is Purple Cow. I just love the way the author breaks down starting your own business. I really believe that he has his own way of writing, and it really shows in this book. I've already read this book about three times, and I plan on reading it again sometime soon. The more serious I get about starting my own business, the more I want to read this book again.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The book that I keep coming back to is Conversations With God. Well, I wouldn't say that it was just one book that I keep coming back to, since Conversations With God comes in three parts. So it's one book series, but there are three separate books that make it up! Even though I understood the wisdom and magnificence of the books the first times that I listened to and read them - because there is also an audiobook format, available for free on Youtube that I listen to - I ALWAYS take something new away, and why shouldn't I, when each book is so long?

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have read "1984" by George Orwell countless times. Every so often, there is some kind of reference to the book in the media, which reminds me what a great book it is. Although it was written 45 years ang and 1984 has been and gone, the book remains relevant to todays society.

11. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    HARRY POTTER! HARRY POTTER! HARRY POTTER! All of the books of Harry Potter just keep coming back on me, anytime that I don't have time, and if I need some immediate relief or pleasure, I don't think twice or much, I grab right away the Harry Potter. But among them, the ones I keep coming back to are the first and the last book.

12. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Harry Potter is my favourite book and I enjoy it at all times. I think it is one of the best book that is available. I think it is quite cool to try and read it at all times required.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am really shocked that Harry Potter seems to be a favorite amongst more than one of the people in this thread. The memories that I have of Harry Potter, reading it in class when I was a child - the book sucked. I was so so so bored. I would have to say that I prefer the movies, and I am an avid reader. I didn't like the lack of creativity in the way that the book was written, even though the content itself was very creative. But to each their own. I enjoyed George Orwell's 1984 too. Brilliant book and very very telling. but my fav book series that I can always go back to is Conversations With God!!! simply amazing!!!

14. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    I like the classic book, The Old Man and the Fish, by Hemingway, this is a wonderful book that has captured my imagination and for some reason I keep going back to it, I think it has something to tell us in our own lives, in school, I'd didn't like reading very much until a teacher introduced me to that book I was hooked after that.