what is the worst book to movie adaptation?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by lindbergh • Dec 2, 2012.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hollywood sometimes runs out of good ideas. If this happens, the film makers have a tendency to adopt a wildly popular book and make it into a movie. Sadly, more often than not, the movie adaptations fall way short of the original material. Take for instance The da Vinci Code. The source material was a highly entertaining piece of literature with lots of plot twists galore. The movie adaptation though was bland and highly uninspired. Add to the fact that those who already read the book already knew what would come next and you really had a snorefest of a movie.

2. mnicole

mnicoleMember

Threads:
    i didn't really like how the Grinch stole Christmas with Jim carrey it could have been better i find it hard to get the kids in the house to watch that movie.

3. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you in regards to the Da Vinci code. Though for the absolute worst I'd have to say queen of the damned. If you've read the book and seen the movie you understand...it is just nothing alike. They shouldn't even have the same name.

4. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    I read the book and did not see the movie. Honestly not that big a Tom Hanks fan.
    Never have been. Regardless, liked the book.
    I know several book adaptations that were top rate including Godfather, Jaws, The Exorcist. And I guess Lord of the Rings.
    I am not too sure about the book and film of Naked Lunch. I read the book and I guess the film had its moments. Haven't seen it for a few years. Hard book to film I have to say.
    Ryder13

5. sinayat3

sinayat3New Member

Threads:
    The worst book to movie adaptation I have seen is "Queen of the Damned". Personally I liked "Interview with the Vampire". I thought they actually did a good job on the movie and picked pretty good actors to portray the characters. I was expecting Queen of the Damned to be just as good but sadly I was mistaken. The movie was just sooo bad! The acting was atrocious, and the actors didn't fit the characters in the book at all. The movie was really dumbed down. I guess my expectations were too high.

6. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I'm quite scared to see the movie adaptation of On the Road actually. It is one of my favorites books. I don't know if it would be fair to call this the worst example, but I didn't like the 1998 version of Great Expectations. That is only my pick because it is my all time favorite novel.

7. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I usually end up seeing the movie before I read the book, but I did read Great Expectstions before seeing the movie, and I have to agree the movie was pretty bad and disappointing. Not a good adaptation.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't read the book version of the Da Vinci Code yet, but I think that the movie was pretty good. So maybe since you didn't like it, then I guess the book was way even better? If that's the case then the book must be better than the movie, and to think that Da Vinci Code movie was quite ok for my standards.

9. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say that the Book version of Queen of the Damned was as bad if not worst. It just wasn't very good and so I can't really get on the movie too bad. That doesn't mean I give it a pass, but it's hard to elevate something that bad. Ah, well.

10. jaindar343

jaindar343New Member

Threads:
    many books are a worst book movie adaption. but the holy book of Bibal are a the best movie book of adaption .

11. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Funny most of you would bring up the DA Vinci Code as the worst movie adaptation because my sister had an opposite reaction. She actually hated the book, thought it was boring and didn't finish it but she liked the movie adaptation from it saying it was easier to follow. Now don't get on me for her opinion, to be honest I never read to book but saw the movie, so I can't really judge which one was better. I guess it just comes down to personal taste, I didn't mind the movie version of How The Grinch Stole Christmas, which was entitled The Grinch, but I understood why so many didn't like it. After all Dr. Seuss wrote a sweet clever story with a brilliant message that was dragged out into something that seem to lose the meaning of the source material. So, for me this would probably be my worse movie adaptation of a book, given what was done to this story.

Now, if we were to discuss the adaptation where the movie was actually better then the source book material (there were some like this) I want to nominate War and Peace. Talk about a book that seem to drag out, couldn't even get through the first few pages. Saw the movie easier to follow and I think still told the same story. Yes, a long movie to watch but it was well done.