What Is Your Favorite Dipping Sauce?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cocolgooh • Jan 18, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Of course it depends what I'm dipping into it, but I love barbecue sauce with almost anything savory to be honest. I also like tomato sauce though, especially with fries or sausages.

I also like apples dipped in peanut butter sauce or caramel sauce, although I don't tend to have that so often.

On the other hand I don't like mayonnaise or guacamole at all and generally avoid them both at all costs!

2. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I love all kinds of dipping sauces. For meat - I love tzatiki for chicken or pork marinaded in greek salad dressing, sweet and sour sauce, plum sauce, ranch dressing for chicken fingers and my new favourite is sweet thai chili sauce which goes great with chicken or pork. When I do a beef roast I love horseradish or au jus. I love salsa, guacamole and yes I'll even dip french fries into mayonnaise. For potato chips I'll make my own chip dip with onion soup mix and sour cream. My kids love sauces too so I'm always looking for good recipes for different sauces. I love making my own pestos too.

3. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I've got a few one depending on the food I'm eating. For chips, I always use either a sour and cream dip or a cheese dip. For fries, I use a cheese dip as well. For barbecues, I use barbecue sauce. Basically anything that has cheese or closely resembles cheese is my go-to dip. Anything with chili though is a No-no simply because I hate spicy food.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:For my chicken I love spicy, sweet citrus dips. Chips I love sour creme and onion. Meats au jus please. I love to dip my sandwich into the au jus and add fries mmm good!
    French+Dip+Sandwich+with+au+Jus.
    image from

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I keep hearing apple and peanut butter is a good combination, but for some reason, i always forget to try it out! I know it sounds weird, but often the weirdest combinations can be the most delightful surprise LOL

Interesting that you hate mayo and guacamole, because they're among my favourites! I also like creamy garlic and herb with chopped up vegetable and crisps. Salsa is another good one for me :)

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been trying to cut out bad foods for a while now, and have successfully done so. But one of the things that I struggle the most with is not eating Mayonnaise. I love it, and always have, given it is the correct brand, because some brands taste funny and are absolutely awful.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Watch Earthlings, that'll take care of it lol.. gah. There are some whole food options you can search that are great substitutes, but I don't know if it would take getting used to or not.. it was an easy switch for me, since I hadn't eaten mayo in years as it was. Do you have Pinterest? You'll find a sub for everything there.
    Kudos for the change, Dreekster.. keep it up!

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    Earthlings? The reference is going straight over my head. I almost want to make an age joke lmao :p I am sure there are alternatives, but do they taste as scrumptious as Mayonnaise? That is the million dollar question lol. I am willing to make the jump though, for sure. My health is very important to me these days :) I have Pinterest, but don't use it. I am going to give it a look over there. Thank you so much for suggesting it ;) And thank you for the encouragement :)

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah the dipping sauce of preference has a lot to do with the foods I am eating, but it is hard to beat a good guacamole or salsa. I love both of those with tortilla chips but I could not imagine eating them with fruit for instance. I like a peanut butter caramel sauce with fruit or a coolwhip based dip of some sort. With vegetables any kind of salad dressing is a favored dip. Oh I forgot the spinach, artichoke dip is a great flavor combo for bread, crackers or any sort of chip.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No problem, I'll be your biggest cheeleader! lol.. yep, Pinterest is my fave for searching recipes.. everything on the net on one site (if labelled correctly). I think the trick to subbing is finding something you'll like just as much or more.. or even almost as much lol, but once you say "sub for mayo" it's out the window lol. Then your brain just expects it to be the same and if it's not, it's a fail. Mind games, meh.
    Earthlings is a documentary about the meat/animal products industry lol.. I'm too scared to watch it, but it would just be preaching to the choir anyway. I was joking, but yeh.. another option for trying to give up mayo? haha. I dare you!!!!!! :p

11. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what I'm eating! If it's chicken strips or nuggets, I love honey, or just ketchup. Honey mustard is also good with that and ranch! I don't like bbq sauce that much, but it's great with a hamburger. Apples in peanut butter is really good I do that often and for my kids as well. They love it. Pizza with ranch as dip is good too. Guacamole is really good with nacho chips or plain queso cheese dip. I'm not that big of a fan of salsa.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    You can be my cheerleader, but I am not paying you or paying for any tears in your uniform, pom-poms etc lmao :p Ok, thanks for the Pinterest tips. I cannot even remember the email address that I used to sign up with them. I might as well just create a new account and get to subbing :) Oh my God, the word Earthlings just took on a much more sister tone. I think I will give that one a miss too, for I am just as afraid as you are lol.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wuss!! (says the wuss lol).
    Yes, get thee a Pinterest account! Wonder how long it will take you to repin something of mine lol, I think I've got everything healthy on there. If you don't find a mayo sub, you'll find something.. I have a board completely for sauces and spreads etc because it was one of the hardest parts to making my food taste good in the beginning lol. I was so used to coating my food in gook before then. Now I don't rely so much on stuff like that, but I'm still a dipoholic, so they all still come in handy.

14. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like ranch, if it's homemade. I make a really good, easy, homemade Ranch dressing (thinned a little bit with milk when used for salad dressing instead of dip). I need to learn to measure when I make it, so I can share the recipe. I usually just dump stuff in and mix to taste.

I'm shying away from it lately. If I could find some good substitutes for the mayo and sour cream, I'd be golden. I want to try plain Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream, but I have no idea what to use (that would actually taste decent) in place of the mayonnaise. What do you use for mayo, @JosieP@JosieP ?

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yes, it is so difficult at first to make the switch. Ketchup, salad cream, mayo, burger sauce - they are all so easy to grab and coat your food with, but when you are consciously eating, and that stuff no longer entice you as far as health, it is like shit, what the hell do I dress this meal with now? Then you get into the avocado sauces and stuff.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What's wrong with avocado? Don't tell me you're afraid of fat? lol I personally can't stand avocadao, but it does make a good mayo sub in some cases. For me it has to be near dead and tasteless though LOL. Mayo was a turn off for me for a long time, so finding a sub wasn't an issue, it was more like you said, how to dress the meal.. in which case there's many different ways, it's a matter of getting creative. When you want creamy though, avocado seems to be the go-to add in.. and tofu (but most people are scared to death of soy, psshh). I know you aren't vegan and I'm definitely not pushing that on you lol, but if you search pinterest for vegan sauces or dips or spreads etc, then you'll find a lot of easy whole foods options.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really use anything to sub mayo exactly, because I wasn't a fan before I went vegan anyway. But for things that had mayo as an ingredient, all I can think of off the top of my head, as I said to Dreek, is avocado or tofu. Oh and probably cashews.. subbers love their cashews lol. I know there are tofu recipes for mayo and they do come pretty close (don't expect exact for ANY subs or you might not like it.. it's a matter of adjustment) and from there you can turn it into pretty much any cream based dressing. Just a few more ingredients and you'd have a "sub" for many of the creamy dressings on the shelf.

I know there are others, I'll add them if I think of it.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    I don't have a problem with Avocado... other than it tastes like absolute shit!!! Yes, I yelled that lol. I love all the health benefits of it, and all the things that they claim it does for the body. But it is just so awful on the taste buds. I have to think about other things when eating it. But then remind myself that if I can eat vagina, then I can eat avocado lmao. I'm kidding, because Avocado tastes awful. Nothing enticing about it. Near dead and tasteless? The avocado? Or the vaginas? LOL Thanks again for the advice. I would love to be vegan, because I think it would make cooking a lot easier, and I would not be taking on another living being's energy - as well as the stuff that they inject animals with. But I have issues with iron, and meat seems to be a quick way to get that up, although I am aware that there are other ways to get the iron in :)

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh don't get me started on iron lol. I always had issues myself, but no worries, I'll let you find your own way on that one.. you're a smart cookie. If you do or don't drop the animals, you're still making great strides in getting healthy. Looks awesome on you :)

Annnyway, as I said, can't stand avo either, but I (very flipping reluctantly) spread a thin layer on a tomato sandwhich (and whatever else I had on there), a pinch of salt and.. it was awesome! Very surprising. I can't eat it in chunks or completely plain, way too planty and ... ew lol. But just a little goes a long way and I really enjoy it now. Just on that sandwhich though, I'm not brave enough to try anything else. OH WAIT.. yes I am lol.. I tried an avacoado based, creamy, pesto type sauce. Also very good, but couldn't get past the avo flavour hiding in there. That was before I knew when to eat one in it's ripening stage though, so maybe I'll give it a go again.
    OH WAIT! I tried avo pudding too.. tons of cocoa and some sweetener. I think I liked it, but it's been ages lol.
    huh.. braver than I thought.. go me lol.

20. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Okay, thanks. Yeah, those are good ideas, but I want something that actually tastes good, ha ha. I'm allergic to avocado, so that's out and tofu? Ugh. I may have to try it, but it's definitely going to be a stretch. Not a fan. I've found that you can adjust to many things if you really try though.

Maybe I'll just give up ranch instead. :p