What is your favorite home fragrance?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Zyni • Dec 23, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What scent smells the best to you, and how do you get that scent in your home? You can use a Fabric refresher like Febreeze or those Airwick things or maybe a spray like Glade. Some people like scented candles or cleaners or potpourri or scented oil in warmers. This time of the year, you can add to it with all the holiday scents. You can also use peels from fruit such as apples, oranges, lemons, and limes, with cloves, to make your own fragrance. Some people boil cinnamon sticks or cinnamon and apples, though with all the cooking going on, The House smells pretty good anyway. What fragrance do you like best and what source do you use to make your home smell nice?

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Any smell that isn't horrible to smell or repulsive to my sinuses, is good to go as a fragrance in my house. I personally like the natural air I let in from the outside, so long as it is not humid or musty. However, I like citrus fragrance the most, because I like the smell of such fruits and it's not too overwhelming in its effects.

3. PennySafe

PennySafeNew Member

Threads:
    I love scented candles, particularly those that smell like baking cookies or cakes--anything sweet. I absolutely hate the smell of gardenias and I guess I can say that Im not a fan of floral scents, in general. However I do like the scent of fresh laundry, sometimes the clean linen scents are okay because they smell crisp and fresh.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like scented candles, but only the linen or fresh breeze ones. I have a friend who has an assortment of strong and spicy smells and it always makes me sick. I used ot use the plug ins which can be good when you have a party or people smoking, but there is nothing that can beat fresh air. Still a bowl of pot pourri is very useful in the bathroom whatever the smell!

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love scented candles, potpourri and sprays. The only problem I find with candles though, is that they have to be eye wateringly expensive for me to really smell them! In terms of the scent I prefer, it changes all the time. I currently like the Airwick Cool linen and white lilac spray a lot. It just smells so clean and fresh :)

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite scents are usually soft flowery scents. I like lavender, peony and honeysuckle, those are my favorites. I am a big fan of candles for my home, and my favorite ones are usually the ones that have those scents on them. However, one of my favorite candles of all time is called Leaves by Bath and Bodyworks.... Not really sure what it smells like, or which specific notes are on it, but I love it so much! I prefer candles to air refreshers for my home, as they are usually more subtle and stay on longer.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't want to pollute my home.. the air quality in general is very poor these days, depending where you live, so I'm not going to add to the junk we're breathing in. Sometimes I do want to smell something in the air though.. just not often. When I do, it will be real vanilla or citrus scents, but I usually just where those lol. I use homemade vanilla extract on the stove or in the oven. Same with orange peels or both together. Store bought stuff just smells synthetic and it's not comforting at all.

8. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I usually get a scented candle of some sort. Some of my favorite scents are Apple Cinnamon or Vanilla. When I get Febreze spray or something along those lines, I will always go for the linen scented. There's just something about the smell of fresh laundry that is just great.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the Walmart scented candles and room spray that smell like a hazelnut latte. I like coffee smells anyway, but this candle smells delicious because you can almost smell the whipped cream on the coffee drink. I almost want to eat the candle, lol.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to put some cloves, cimmamon and orange peels in a simmer pot on the stove to make the house smell good if I am not cooking something good smelling.

11. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I have found something organic which can add a real fresh fragrance to the toilet. In Malaysia, it's called the daun pandan. This is how it looks like:
    daunpandan.
    This plant thrives in wet conditions. So just plant one in a small pot in the toilet or bathroom. It doesn't even need soil. Just put it into a container of water and it will do fine.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually just spray one of my old perfumes whenever I feel like having a good scent in the room. I don't mind wasting them a bit since they are already old and I have plenty more since I have a collection. What's good about my old scents is that I've been using them since I was young so smelling those scents always brings me back to my earlier years.

13. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    I love the smell of vanilla candles. Once in a while I'll burn some sage incense to clear the air. These I'll use throughout the home but the one that I prefer to use in my bedroom is lilac. It is so calming and soothing that it just makes the bedroom feel so much more relaxing to me and that's what a bedroom should feel like.

14. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like scented things like potpourri or those glade things. Many of them make me sneeze and I prefer no odors in my home at all. I do sometimes like incense, but that only lingers a short time after you burn it, which means you can choose different varieties when you want. As long as no one is smoking or burning anything outdoors, I like to open the windows and have fresh air.

15. MsCalamityJane

MsCalamityJaneNew Member

Threads:
    The older I get the less I like fragrances. I wonder why that is. When I do purchase something I look for linen or fresh breeze. Anything that smells light and fresh. My husband always likes strong manly smelling scents. I love his cologne, but I don't want the whole house smelling like that. He's burning a Christmas candle for the holidays that he bought. It makes me gag, it's so strong! When he least expects it, it will disappear, but for now he can enjoy our house smelling like a fir tree.

16. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    I love having my windows open too. Since our landlord pays for our heat and tends to make it really hot, I get the joy of having the windows open all year long LOL The time when I really like having my window open though is when it's raining and you get the fresh smell of it. Both my daughter and I love hearing the rain and enjoying the fragrance.

17. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, my favorite home fragrance is natural fresh air. :) Naturally, there are times when things get a little musty during heavy monsoon seasons despite of thoroughly cleaning everything. During the wet and humid months I like to have a natural lemon or cinnamon scent around my house. Usually, I use essential oils in my cleaning water or cleaning rag. I also burn a lot of incense and candles as well.

18. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    After I responded to this post I was out shopping and stopped at Whole Foods to get some coffee beans. They are in bulk bins and sold by the pound, so you can get the amount want and try different varieties without having to get a huge bag you may not like. I got three different ones and put them through the coffee grinder. The smell that permeates the car and the house is amazing! As I was driving home I thought of this thrfead and had to come back and say that fresh ground coffee is my favorite home fragrance, lol.

19. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    You know, I honestly didn't even think about the fact that I do this too until you made your post. Of course, since I like vanilla, that's the scent I use. Nevertheless, I do put it in my water and in my Shaklee cleaning solution that I use on everything.

20. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    Well as much as I love spray air fresheners -- I much rather use my oil burners to create a long lasting scent throughout the day. I am very particular to cinnamon. That's probably my favorite to use.