What Is Your Favorite Leftover Meal?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cocolgooh • Nov 13, 2015.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I love leftover pizza, I must say. I'm not sure what it is about cold leftover pizza that's so appealing but it really is! And curries and chillis always seem better the next day as well!

On the other hand, I hate leftover potatoes or fries that get cold. Everyone else in my family loves them though.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aside from pizza that we heat in the oven toaster, another favorite leftover is the lechon or roasted pig. We cook the leftover lechon into a stew made from the lechon sauce plus some spices. Boiled for 5 minutes that softens the pork, the taste is somewhat sweet when sugar is added to the sauce mix. It is best served with steamed rice.

3. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I'll eat just about anything left over from supper the next day. I do agree that fries do not do well the next day so if I have extras I usually toss them. Leftover pizza is fantastic. Left over pasta reheats well for a lunch at work. I find soups and stews taste better the next day. If I have time I'll even make fried rice one day and serve it the next. I guess technically it isn't leftovers but it taste better after it has sat for a day in the fridge. I think my favourite left over meal is lasagna. It tastes better the next day and reheats like it was just made.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Leftover pizza is absolutely gorgeous. Sometimes I will intentionally leave them for the next morning and that is breakfast sorted. As far as Chinese food, that is also really nice the next day or cold, specifically curry. The other sauces tend to thin out as they get cooler. They almost turn into a sort of jelly, and they are awful reheated.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pizza here too! It's not the same now that I don't eat animal products, but still delicious. I'm scared of leftover rice though.. I saw something on the bacteria in it once and haven't looked at cold rice the same way since lol. Haven't looked into it though (won't base decisions on one report), so maybe I'll do that as I used to love leftover chinese as well.

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    I saw an article about a list of foods that you shouldn't reheat, but I have forgotten half of the foods on it now. I do know that chicken was one of the foods though, and we have always reheated chicken. But at the same time, who do you trust for information?

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite would be leftover Chinese Fried Rice. It is better the second day. We don't usually have any Fried Rice leftover so I don't get to have it very often. My second favorite leftover is cold fried chicken breast.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like making fried rice out of leftover meat. First off, I already like fried rice to begin with, and having different meats and ingredients the next day also forces me to get creative and figure out new recipes on how to make it work. Sometimes I'd need to put in soy sauce and sometimes I would leave it plain or put in garlic. The possibilities are endless and you get to extend the use of small portions of ingredients.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I love second day beef stews and curries. Left overs are not fun to eat. I like to have something new daily for meals so I cook smaller portions. I love macaroni salads with stews and curries, but macaroni salads always tastes terrible for left overs! I like spaghetti too for left overs.

10. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I love left over pizza as well. Sometimes I might even eat the pizza cold from the fridge if it's made very well. French fries become soggy once they go cold so they are not good left overs. I would say that biscuits have to be eaten fresh and hot as well. They just aren't the same once they go cold. Lately we have been making chili and I like left over chili. Chicken soup is also another good left over food.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hehe this post could very easily have been written by me! I actually thought I'd be in the minority, because I didn't think many people liked leftovers. My absolute favourite leftover meal has to be pizza, although where we differ's that I prefer to reheat it. I don't know why, but leftovers always seem to taste better :)

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I trust whatever sources I look into and bacteria is bacteria.. can't really imagine that or get it wrong if it's present, but I wish I could remember where I saw that last one (not one I would trust.. it was a tv show reporting on food lol).. they tested it and the minute it started to cool down, it started swarming.. it was disgusting lol. I think there was a way to lessen it or maybe even stop it as long as you ate it the next day, but I'll have to get back to you on that. If you trust me haha

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    Lol!!! I never know who to trust as far as sources, because they are always changing their minds about what is beneficial to people and what is not, and it just is one big mess to be honest. You sort of have to play it by ear, but you can't see bacteria on food, and that is a scary thing, because how do you know it is ok to eat?

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fortunately, some things you just can't mess up.. so it's easier to trust some topics than others. I believe the bacteria thing.. you can measure that. What I want to know is if it's a harmful or innocent bacteria, which bacteria is it? Obviously mannny people eat leftover rice.. but many people get food poisoning too, so whatever whatever. My curiosity more than anything.. but yes, I can't unsee the swarming rice now, as much as I would like to so I can bury my face in cold chinese again lmao.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    Exactly, that was exactly what I was thinking. Is it harmful bacteria or not. But the article was about the foods you should not reheat, so I'm guessing the bacteria on them is bad bacteria. LOL!! So when you cook rice and it cools down, bacteria begins to swarm?? Does it matter if there is a lid on the container that the rice is in?? I try to put food in the fridge as soon as it cools down.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I honestly don't remember.. if I recall, it was the minute it stopped cooking and started to cool. And by morning it was insane. I think? haha. I'm the worst with retaining information, I'm going to see if I can find that show again and then dig in to see if it's worth worrying about.. which I doubt; it was just gross lol.

17. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes,
    leftover pizza is good. I also like some stews and soups that seem to be better the next day as all the flavors seemed to have blended together a bit more. These are some good leftovers.

18. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that leftover pizza is one of the best leftover meals. It is conveniently eaten cold or heated up. I also enjoy leftover spaghetti. Sometimes I will make leftover spaghetti and garlic toast sandwiches. They are hardly healthy but definitely yummy! Leftover chili is usually better than when it is made fresh, as long as it is reheated.

19. DreekLass

Threads:
    That is awful. I will never look at foods, or certain foods, the same way again. I am just now starting to learn how to make more complex meals, and I felt all bright and jovial, and the whole time the moment that some of the ingredients begin to cool, they become a swarming mess of germs lol.

20. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lol.. I haven't looked into that side of food yet. I did a quick five second look into the rice thing though and I guess it happens the longer the rice sits out right after cooking. If you throw it directly into the fridge, you're good to go for a couple of days. So that does worry me about take out, but if making it at home, it's not such a biggie. I suppose... I stopped at the part that allowed me to eat leftover rice again, let's not push it lmao.