What is your favourite healthy dish?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Aurora • Nov 3, 2014.

1. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    People are growing more concern for healthy diet today. They try to avoid high levels of sodium, sugar and fats. They like to do exercise to keep the heart and body healthy. I want to be healthy but do not want to sacrifice my joy of eating. I have no idea of what is healthy yet delicious food. So what is your favourite healthy dish that you will recommend to us?

2. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    My most favorite healthy dish is chickpeas and rice. I especially love it topped with cheddar cheese shavings.
    I love chickpeas because thy are full of natural fiber, and the nutrients are great for your health, manganese, folate, and copper. Although I do not greatly like chickpeas with corn, that combination offers a protein that can replace meat.

3. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Humans need sodium, sugars, and fats, but not in the excessive amount it is being used in processed foods these days. I tend to aim at a dish that is whole in its content of what a human body needs, and may even be antithetical to so-called healthy diet [Atkins diet is a good example]. My mainstay dish is composed of at least 8 ounces of meat of some sort, 4 ounces vegetables, 4 ounces fruits, and the rest I usually add some carbohydrate food - sometimes processed like noodles. I have momentary favorites, not memorable favorites, thus I have no favored dish to write about.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Even though I am a meat eater, and not really a healthy eater in general, I have no problem ordering a nice piece of broiled fish in place of something like a steak. Heck, in some cases the seafood can cost more than the beef depending on what you order and where you are eating at.

For example, I really like "Chilean Sea Bass" (it's not really Bass at all, it's real name is Patagonian Toothfish), which runs me about $18 for a substantial size portion for me. I could get two large ribeye steaks for around that price or less. Although I do use butter on it during the broiling process, and a little more a the end, the amount I end up consuming is negligible. One of my most recent favorite ways to broil it, is with some melted butter and dry sherry mixed together with a pinch of cayenne, drizzled over it before popping it under the broiler.

5. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    I agree with you. One of the joys in my life is to be able to enjoy delicious meals. I understand health is important. However, I do not want to sacrifice this joy altogether. I try to have healthy diets most of the days. However, I would like to relax myself a little bit to have buffets at times. There is so much food that I love. I hope I will never get any illness that deprives my joy of delicious food.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I highly recommend a garden salad a la Greek. The typical garden salad covers ingredients like lettuce, tomato, egg, raisins and green or black olives, topped with vinaigrette or Caesar dressing. So you can eat as much servings as you want without sacrificing your desire to eat more, you can prepare the salad in a huge bowl and add cuts of low-sodium cheese and fruits like avocado and apple. Even if this recipe is meant for the health conscious, you'll feel so full after several rounds.

7. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I think the healthiest dishes are fruits and vegetables, and kosher meats. There are all kinds of studies about how beneficial eating "raw" can be. And of course, can't forget about all the YouTube videos out there about the benefits of clean eating.
    My favorite healthy dishes are pastas, chicken, kosher beef when I can get it, certain types of fish (like salmon), eggs, seeds, beans, nuts, and steamed or sometimes sauteed vegetables.

8. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I like eating shredded cabbage done Japanese style - Ice cold, with a sesame/yuzu dressing. It tastes fresh and light, I could literally eat a whole salad bowl of the stuff!

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My diet is healthy all around, and I have many favourite dishes. I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years now, and enjoy all fresh, organic produce, grains, legumes, nuts and seaweed. I like experimenting with new dishes all the time, forever trying out new combinations with herbs and spices. I also enjoy growing the food that I eat.

10. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    My favourite healthy dish is stuffed bell peppers. You can add any vegetables that you like and a lean meat like poultry. Then add you favorite cheese as a topping. It's healthy and filling. :p

11. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I think the key to a healthy diet is moderation- don't expect to completely cut out less healthy options, just limit them so your diet doesn't feel too restrictive. I've been trying to eat more fruits and vegetables, and just all around more clean/"real" food and less processed junk. That's made a big difference already for me. I'm loving eggs right now- so many different, easy ways to prepare them and they're great for a little extra protein to start off the day. Just find what works for you, everyone has their own "ideal" diet =)

12. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite healthy dish is making a quick marinade for salmon and then baking it. I serve it with some steamed veggies and if I am more hungry than that I'll make some brown rice on the side. It's healthy and also quick. If I don't have any fish I'll bake some chicken too.

Stuffed bell peppers sounds really good! Thanks for the idea. I will have to make some soon.

13. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    I love the idea of stuffed bell peppers, too. I like to stuff it with minced pork or fish instead of poultry because it is much easy for me to prepare the ingredients. I like to stuff the banana pepper, too. It is much more delicious if you are not afraid of the hot ones.

14. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite would have to be a good steak (grass fed beef is very healthy) Mashed sweet potatoes and a big pile of steamed vegetables with some salt and pepper on them. I love beef, although I rarely get it now days. I will only get the grass fed beef because I feel it is better to eat less and get the best and healthiest meat rather than more, but have it be unhealthy due to what the animal was fed.

15. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Mine is a warm cup of Sukiyaki. The main ingredients are healthy slices of beef, large tofu dumplings, a portion of noodle, and vegetable chops that usually include onion, peas and types of cabbages. I like to add more veggies like cucumber, tomato slices and potato slices to the bowl of broth and serve it warm. On second place is the Vietnamese Pho Noodle soup with beef shanks and fresh garden spice. A normal Pho take about 1 hour to finish, but it is usually adequate to shoo away symptoms of cold.

16. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I eat a pretty healthy, balanced diet. I am vegan and have been for quite some time. My favorite healthy dishes include just about anything with lentils and chana dal (young chickpeas). Red lentils with berbere stew on top of injera is just divine. That would have to definitely be my favorite dish.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My favorite greatly dishes are store fried vegetables with oyster sauce and beef with broccoli. They are mostly available in Chinese restaurants but at the same time they are fairly easy to make at home as well which is what I love about these dishes the most. The best thing is that if you're too lazy to make them and decide to buy it instead, they aren't even all that expensive to order either.

18. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it would be fruit or vegetable salad. When I eat these dishes, I don't add those commercially sold dressings because they are too salty or sweet. I just add olive oil or lemon zest. :D I really love cucumbers and lettuce.

19. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Veggie omelet with egg whites. The great thing about this is that its a good way to use leftover vegetables that haven't been cooked already. Although I may add spinach or broccoli from the night before. Sometimes I use extra garlic instead of cheese.

20. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Chickpeas here too! I love eating them with rice and a ton of veggies, and depending on how I season them they’re great with shredded parmesan. Veggie omelets are quickly becoming a staple dish for me as well. Extra delicious with hot sauce of some sort. Generally I try to eat a good amount of veggies with every dish, then balance them out with protein and carbs.