What is your guilty pleasure?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by jneanz • Apr 18, 2014.

1. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Mine is beef, particularly steaks and prime rib. When I was younger, I prepared and ate steaks often but since my family's gone on a health kick, this is seldom now. Before I rarely thought about these things but it seems that with age, I find myself thinking about it more than ever. Even burgers that use angus are deep in my thoughts.

How will I prepare it? Are the right spices in the pantry? When will I go to Lawry's again? OMG, it's been over a year and I'm freaking out!

Yep... these are actual thoughts I get in my head from time to time. And don't get me started on shows like American Eats or the Food Paradise series.:D

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that meat is a guilty pleasure, but in my case it's because of money not health. The price of meat has one up in South Florida, so we have to use it more sparingly.
    Instead of meat being a main dish, I use it as more of an garnish in stir fry and soups. I experienced a bit of sticker shock when I saw a $16 steak at Walmart. $16 usually buys me a small bag of groceries, not one package of meat.

3. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I am ashamed to say I have more than one guilty pleasure. But I go through phases and the latest are coconut rings a bargain at 39p a packet and the packet is huge but my are they moreish. I can eat the whole packet in one sitting (guilt). And there's the problem at 39p what's to stop me. They're dangerous I'm telling you.
    I wanted to put at the end of this that I have refrained from eating them but I had half a packet today so I will say instead that is the last.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I always feel super bloated when I gorge on Chinese takeout. Every once in a while I would order something like a dinner sized order of General Tso's Chicken over fried rice, along with an extra egg roll or two. It's clearly enough for three good sized meals, but some days my appetite will be through the roof and I will sit there and gorge on the whole thing while watching some TV shows. I will even polish off all the egg rolls as well.

Another favorite is Penn Station. Their philly cheese steak sandwiches are so good, but they are enormous and loaded with fat and grease and cheese. As if that wasn't bad enough, you must get the fresh cut fries to go along with them. I am in a food coma after I eat that stuff but it is so worth it.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Panda Express 100%. Every time after I eat there I feel like utter garbage, but I still insist on eating out there. I don't even think I like the food all that much but I always end up back there. Guilty pleasures are certainly strange things at times.

6. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think you like the food either because I certainly don't. If I had that big of a craving for Asian cuisine, I would go to PF Changs (predictable, overpriced but mostly safe) or make it myself. PE is like the McDonalds of Asian cuisine...hope you get over it soon :D

7. BlacKnight1090

BlacKnight1090Member

Threads:
    When I hear "guilty pleasure" I immediately think desserts (which I will HAPPILY mention soon). If we're speaking about the usual...I too love my ribs. Probably my favorite thing to eat just as much as I like chicken. I grew up on it so I can't help my addiction. o.o I also like beef smoothered in gravy and mixed with all types of rice. Cheap and delicious meal. Now for what is my guilty pleasure, it has to be cheese cake...My goodness it really is a slice of heaven. If it wasn't so expensive...I'd be in trouble. Lol. I'd easily be the number one customer, but I won't like what it does to my body. I'm also not picky on the flavor. There's probably only two I refuse to touch.

8. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I would say takeout food, especially after a long run or a busy day lol. In most cases, my craving is chinese food.

I don't do this too often, but I sometimes catch myself doing it even when I'm fully capable of making dinner :)

9. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    Oh man, I love my guilty pleasures! I grew up in the south and love just about anything smothered in gravy...like country fried steak or country style steak or hamburger steak with a rich gravy and homemade mashed potatoes...yummy. I also love fried chicken, indulgent pastas with cream-based sauces, steak and anything smothered in cheese.

Can you tell that I'm not the healthiest eater in the world? LOL.

10. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if I have a guilty pleasure but if I do, it would easily be Cinnabons. Luckily, Burger King still has mini ones as far as I know to satisfy when I have a craving. I could eat those every day. It was sad when I couldn't find any place to eat them for a long time.

11. BlacKnight1090

BlacKnight1090Member

Threads:
    Like I said, I love my gravy and southern food is admittedly addictive. x_x You have good taste in food. Ha. I don't think a guilty pleasure is allowed to be healthy so it's okay as long as you don't choke on the food or cause your body too much harm. o.o I'm far from a healthy person. I'm actually a contradiction since I love exercising but eat the delicious stuff you listed and then some...

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My guilty pleasure is french fries or potato chips. I could never have enough of them, and whenever I start with even just one bit, I immediately feel like I have to eat more. It's why I try to stay away from eating fast food as much as I can, because I know I wouldn't be able to resist buying fries if I ever passed by a favorite restaurant, especially since it's so easy to buy it via drive-thru. I also try to limit my potato chip purchase in groceries because I know I'll be too tempted to gorge on it if I have a hefty supply at home.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mine is sweets, specially chocolate and cookies! I also love pasta, but I wouldn't consider it a guilty pleasure just because I don't have as much and don't lose control over it as much as I do with chocolate and sweets in general! I've been on and off my diet now for 5 months, and everytime I ruin it it's because of sweets!! I tell myself I deserve them only that time around for some reason and when I stop and notice what I'm doing, I'm having sweets every day as a "reward" for my stressful life!