What is your most expensive habit?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gmac9100 • Apr 7, 2014.

1. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    My most expensive habit is Chinese food.

I absolutely love it. I can not get enough of it. It has been that way since i was younger. I buy it at least 3 times a week, and as you know Chinese food can be very expensive. I love it, but it puts a major dent in my pocket.

What is your most expensive habit?

2. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I was about to say smoking, but since I don't smoke and you mentioned food, I have to say Starbucks. I mean sure its not that expensive, but man, I spend almost $40 per day to get my fix, but that's not really on a day to day basis, maybe three or two times a week, but still, its a habit I've gotten into and it's not a pretty sight for my health I guess.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Up until three weeks ago when I quit, my most expensive habit was smoking. I used to smoke one pack a day and that brought me to 150$ per month (cigarettes are cheaper here). Now that the awful smell of cigarette smoke is gone I'm guessing I'll save a bunch on detergents also since I used to wash my clothes often to get rid of it. I'm pretty sure the money I save by not buying cigarettes will be spent on something else, but at least I'm not destroying my heath willingly anymore :eek:

4. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I would say takeout in general. We've gotten a lot better, but usually 2-3 times a month now, we will get takeout. We often spend $50-70 a month, so I consider that a large portion that could be used in another way. I know it can be difficult to break this habit, because it's so convenient and of course yummy! I do generally eat pretty healthy otherwise.

5. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    Shopping at whole foods for beauty products. They are over priced and it probably would be wiser to make my own. But, I love healthy and organic products.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger and I didn't have a computer, I used to spend all my money on arcade and internet cafe's. I was addicted back then. Nowadays since I now have a pc, then I can just play video games and surf at home.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Booze would probably be at the top of the list. There were some weeks, when I would have people over a few times, that I would end up spending more on liquor in a given week than I would on groceries. Second to that was previously cigarettes and I would say soda/coffee in third place.

I quit smoking about a year ago, and I've been drinking iced tea instead of soda for nearly two years now. I've also tried to pair back my drinking to only about twice a week now.\

I love ordering takeout food, especially when I was on my way home from work and starving and didn't want to wait for something to cook in my oven. It can add up quickly, but Chinese food in particular is still a pretty decent bargain. I figure, a combo meal from them is like $7.50, but it's easily enough for three good sized meals if I portion it out properly and don't gorge on it in one sitting - so on a per meal basis, it's still cheaper than ordering like three combo meals at some other fast food joint. Plus if I was having the food delivered, I would only have to tip for delivery once, as opposed to each time if it were something like a pizza.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    So I was just reviewing my finances from over the last 3 months and realized that I have been spending way too much on food in general! I used to be so good at keeping costs low, but I guess I got lazy this last quarter because my take-out cost was higher than expected....and so was my grocery cost overall. Yikes.

Based on that, I would say my most expensive habit is the occasional delivery cost that ends up happening more often than I recognized!

9. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Horse racing, not actually racing myself but better. I mean sometimes it has the opposite effect but usually it results in a loss. I do enjoy it though and only spend minimally so it's not so bad. Other than that I think simply traveling. I'm not a smoker and not really a drinker either, so certainly not them.

10. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    My most expensive habit is buying hair products. I would go in a store and spend hundreds on beauty supply products. I would go to the store looking for one thing and pick up many others. So I try to send my daughter to the store now to get just the items I need it sad but true.

11. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had to think about this but maybe water. We have filtered water at home but I can't take that with me and I only want to drink it if I have nothing else. I'm a water snob because I'll only get Fiji now. I've heard things about other bottled water and I wouldn't dare drink tap unless I'm in a restaurant.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My most expensive habit when it comes to food is buying junk food like ice cream, chocolates, and chips. I tend to go for more expensive brands when it comes to these because the cheaper ones are not that satisfying as a substitute. I also tend to buy a lot for when I decide to binge, because I don't want to have to go out regularly to buy them, so I always see how much the bulk cost is of what I am spending, and it amounts to a lot since as I've said, the brands are a bit expensive. I don't buy these that often, though, because they are unhealthy and they cost a lot.

13. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My most expensive habit is doing tennis, buying equipment and apparels for it. There was never a month when I did not buy anything related to it. I am an avid player and fan. To satisfy my enthusiasm, I feel that it is really necessary to buy. I cannot stop myself. I'm just lucky my habit is not bad at all unlike a vice.

14. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    ah, this is an easy one. Getting oatmeal and a smoothie at Jamba Juice is probably my favorite breakfast. Fills me up for the whole day and absolutely delicious. Unfortunately, I can't get it every day as it runs me about $8:00 a meal.

Other than that, it's trying to limit how much I eat out

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Wow, really? $8 for oatmeal and a smoothie!?? That just seems so excessive to me. I understand they're delicious, but it feels like they shouldn't be charging that much in the first place. Is it something you can recreate at home or have you tried?

16. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to spend money on exotic food ingredients, such as umeboshi plums, organic sauerkraut, seaweed condiments, and many more divine tasting things that I love to experiment with in my cooking. I am never too excessive, but have been known to put in special orders with my local delicatessen shop. I also order my favourite chocolate online from Europe.

17. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    I can relate to this.

But i found a way to cut back this expense. Instead of buying name brand snacks.i buy the store brands. This is good because hey are half the price. Not to mention that i do not taste a difference between the them. I always thought that the quality would be worse, but was wrong.

Now i only buy store brand snacks.