What Is Your Opinion Of Homeschooling?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by dorothymoreno • Sep 11, 2015.

1. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I have been homeschooling for about 14 years and I really enjoy being able to homeschool my kids. I am always looking for new and interesting ways for keeping my daughter interested in learning. She loves to learn and we make learning an everyday thing, no matter where we are. All of my other kids are grown and making their own lives and doing really well and some of them are also homeschooling their kids. My daughter is my youngest child and she is the only one I'm homeschooling now. I love homeschooling and i DON'T REGRET my decision to Homeschool. What is your opinion of homeschooling? :):)

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Homeschooling is not a thing in my country, it is not an option. You either go to school or you don't get an education. With the exception off famous celebrity kids and maybe things like that, they get several private teachers, but that is incredibly expensive. It's nothing like traditional homeschooling were The parents do the teaching. I am not sure how effective that is.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never favored homeschooling.

While I must admit public schools no longer are the best place to send kids to the alternatives home schooling or private schools don't provide the kids with important life lessons which they'll find useful when they are grown up. The alternatives might guarantee them success but . . .

Apart from that, I've heard that homeschooling can be expensive especially for those taking a stab at it for the first time.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You'll get a lot of responses against homeschooling and unfortunately, those people have never really looked into it. A LOT of misinformation and bias. Good for you for doing what you feel is right and best.. I agree with you completely that it is. I too homeschool my children (although one graduated early) and it's the best decision I've ever made. I could go on all day lol, but just thought I'd jump in with a positive note before you drown in nays lol.

5. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    If done properly homeschooling can work. I've met plenty of intelligent adults who were homeschooled for various reasons.

That said, I typically don't favour homeschooling because it puts the kids at risk of not becoming properly socialized. A few years ago I worked at a mailing centre - fun times - and an entire family of homeschooled teens and young adults worked there too. They were perfectly nice people, but the three kids (and when I say 'kids' I mean they ranged from sixteen to twenty-one) did not know how to talk to people outside their family. Either you talked about Star Wars or you got nothing from them. Sitting down at the lunch table with them was an awkward, strange, strained experience every time.

I know this isn't a universal issue with homeschooled kids, but depriving them of classrooms full of their peers seems a good way to thoroughly isolate a growing mind. If you're going to homeschool your kids, make sure they have plenty of opportunities to socialize.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, obviously you shouldn't keep your kids from people (not just their peers.. they need to know how to get along with, work with and communicate with ALL ages). Generally, homeschooling gives the child MORE opportunity to socialize and experience the real world. Far more than they'll ever be allowed in a school environment.

I know many awkward adults. Many bully types. Many not so educated (to put it mildly), many depressed, antisocial, aggressive, shy, manipulative etc etc etc people. They all went to school. There's also the fact that those who have been kept from the school system don't always easily relate to many who are in it. Less in common, put less importance in the things those in school find awesome etc, so there's a chance the "awkwardness" is actually that. Or it could just be human nature.. some people are just shy or take quite a while to warm up. I'm one of them and I went to school ;)

7. dorothymoreno

Threads:
    @JosieP@JosieP Thank you so much for your comment JosieP! It is nice to know there are more Homeschoolers that are having positive experiences. I love home schooling and while I know it may not be for everybody, I know it was my best decision too. I get a lot of negative input from some family and friends too. I respect their opinion, but I have my opinion as well and I just wish they would except mine as well. I love Homeschooling!!

@SLTEJust because we homeschool doesn't mean our kids are not able to socialize with others. This is what I get alot of from people who don't like homeschooling. My kids have done just fine in their lives after being homeschooled, they had their friends just like any other kids . They are now married have kids and have excellent jobs, and a wonderful social life. Homeschooling did not make them antisocial. They had the chance to explore alot more then they would of in most public schools. It is a really rewarding opportunity to be able to homeschool.

@JosieP@JosieP Exactly, couldn't of said it better myself!! There are a lot of kids that are in public school that are shy or just don't feel like they fit in. A lot of times they stay to themselves or with others that might feel as they do. I was always so shy in school and always bullied because I wanted to go to school to learn and there seemed to be more interruptions to send kids to the principal office or etc ,and really hard to concentrate. But, each to their own, I guess. Thanks again for your comments.

Homeschooling is really not so expensive. There are so many resources online for home schoolers. There are videos and etc you can use to teach with as well. So many options to choose from. It is overwhelming sometimes trying to decide between them all. My daughter loves learning and no matter where we go or who we are with there is always something to be learned.

#7Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
  8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I knew a few people that went homeschooling but I never really noticed or asked if it was better than the traditional schools because after high school they were able to get accepted to regular universities. I know some regular schools do offer home schooling and it's a bit more expensive than regular schooling so I think over here it's not practical.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not for homeschooling. Presently, the bad traffic situation in Metro Manila roads would favor home schooling to save all of us the ordeal of experiencing the heavy traffic.But home schooling lacks that element of bonding with the classmates. Socializing is one aspect that helps a child grow mentally and emotionally. So for me, the traditional school is much better, taking the school bus, lining up to the classroom and doing the learning together with other children.

10. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have mixed feelings about homeschooling, probably because I’ve seen mixed results. But that’s true of any method, really. I would say that if done properly (i.e. giving the kids ample opportunity to socialize, as previously mentioned) it’s a valid option. It’s just that you can’t always trust parents to do it properly. I’ve known a few who simply used it as a way to shelter their kids from the big, bad world, and I’m not for that at all.

Location also plays a part. I wouldn’t do it at all if I had a family living in a remote location. Too isolated. But in a place with plenty of options for socializing and expanding one’s mind, I think it could work out much better.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not really for home schooling, as I feel it's crucial for growing kids to interact with children of their own age from different backgrounds. I strongly feel that this contributes positively to their development. Admittedly, I don't know much about home schooling because it's not the done thing here. My worry also is about the quality of teaching these children get at home. I'm guessing not all parents who do it are adequately equipped to impart knowledge across all the subjects in the curriculum. So my questions would be are they vetted or can just about anybody decide they want to home school their children? Do these children get the quality of education they deserve etc

12. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I know, and that's fine. As long as you make sure they do have plenty of chances to interact with other kids of their age. The example I cited above was a fairly insular family, and I've heard other such horror stories of homeschooled kids growing up with various social impairments. One of them eventually got married, and has broken away from the family a bit, but as far as I know the other two are still pretty much stuck with their dad.

Felicia Day, an extremely popular online and offline actor, was homeschooled. Aside from being a weird (but entertaining) person, she seems perfectly intelligent.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You're welcome. I wish people would listen to what they're actually saying lol. You've done a wonderful thing for your children :)

To everyone else; schools let children fall through the cracks far more than homeschooling and stats are proving they do better in the short and long term as well. Both options have the potential to hurt a child in some way, but I could close my eyes and point to find someone who was let down by the school system or has a horror story of some sort. Remember, school is a new thing. Maybe not to us, but humans are natural learners. It's what we do. You seriously underestimate us when you say school is the only way to learn. You underestimate yourselves (unless you stopped learning the moment you stepped off school property). We wouldn't be here today if we weren't learners. Never would have evolved. We adapt and we grow and we learn what we need when we need it. Think about what school really is.

As for the quality. Parents who aren't "hiding their children" will get the job done whether they can teach everything or not. If there is something they are unsure of or even horrible at, there are many ways the child can still learn it. Because knowledge isn't locked up in a classroom. There are other people out in the world while school is in session. There are libraries and tutors and computers and a whole working planet while those children sit quietly at their seats learning the same thing for weeks at a time lol. Oh.. and socializing ;)

14. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not in favor of homeschooling to be honest. I think it's best for the kids to be around kids their age, it keeps them well rounded and 'normal'. I'm not saying home-schooled kids aren't normal but there's already that preconceived negative idea about homeschooling. So i don't know, i don't have kids yet but when i have my own i will definitely send them to regular school.

15. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd never heard of homeschooling before I moved to Texas. My first encounter with it was when I needed subjects to administer tests to, while in graduate school. A coworker had a friend who homeschooled her children, and put us in touch. They were very well mannered, polite, helpful, and intelligent. I've worked since that time with children and adolescents who've been homeschooled and who have attended public and private schools. I can understand the desire to homeschool, and if I had children, I would probably do that myself.

My one concern is making sure that the parents or others doing the homeschooling are qualified. By that, I don't mean they need to have teaching licenses/certifications, which don't always equate with excellence. What I mean is it's important that the ones imparting the skills and education have good skills and exposure themselves, so they can provide a quality education to those they're teaching. As far as socialization, there are requirements in place, and homeschooling families here have networks where they get together and participate in joint projects and field trips.

A good example of a successful homeschooler, in my opinion is Ree Drummond. Here's an article she wrote about why she homeschools:

16. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Homeschooling has advanced quite a bit since when I was in the school age years. I have a friend who home schools her kids and they send her free computers and everything to use as educational tools. You just have to send the supplies back at the end of the year. The only downfall is that kids don't get to interact with other kids, so you have to make sure they get out among other kids and do activities.

17. dorothymoreno

Threads:
    @JosieP@JosieP You are so right JosieP!! There is so many ways to learn and it is an everyday thing at anytime of the day. As you said, there are ways to teach your children about things that you may not be the best at through the things you mentioned. There are no specific hours or days, you don't have to wait to learn. Socializing that was a good one, JosieP, because socialize is an everyday thing and it is just so much to do when you have no ties and can just get up and go. Learning is a very natural thing for kids, mine are always asking questions, wanting to know about everything, it is like the world is our classroom and it is 24/7. There is no limit!! I get so carried away when talking about the possibilities of homeschooling. The kids don't have to worry about somebody talking down to them because they want to learn or be put into a group because of the way they dress or live. They are free to flourish and that is what they do. Thank you again JosieP for all of your positive feedback on Homeschooling.:)

@Rosyrain@Rosyrain That is wonderful and I am sure a great help to your friend. As for socializing you are right all kids need to socialize and they do even with homeschooling parents our kids also socialize with others. :)

@Diane Lane@Diane Lane Thank you very much for sharing the link with us here. I am going to go and check it out.... I am always looking to see how others do with homeschooling. We learn something new everyday!!. :):)

@SLTE@SLTE I am sure there will be some horror stories whether children are homeschooled or in public school regardless. It doesn't mean that homeschooling is not a good alternative, it depends each person that is homeschoooling. My children are not isolated and they have very happy productive lives after being homeschooled. There are kids that go to public schools that don't interact no more then they have to with kids because they are shy, or sometimes because they are made fun of etc. There are many ways of socializing not just by sitting in a classroom all day. I haven't heard of any kids having social impairments due to homeschooling, but I am sure it can happen in any home whether they are in public school or being homeschooled.

@Lushlala@Lushlala To answer your questions depending on where you live of course there are different laws as to how you can go about homeschooling, but anybody can decide to homeschool their kids here where I am living in Oklahoma. There are guidelines to be followed of course. As for the quality of education, again it depends on the family. I'm sure mostly all of the people that decide to homeschool give their children a good education. It is like any other form of teaching. Not all kids in the public school get a good education. But in most cases that I know of kids who are homeschooled do just fine. Some go on to college or careers etc, just as any other.

#17Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
  18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it's a much better option than sending kids to a cheap school, in my opinion. No offense to anyone who went to a cheap school, as I myself went to one as well, and even if my experience there wasn't all that bad and the people were at least still decent and nice, I feel like I could probably have gotten so much more out of my years in education had I gotten a more focused way of learning. The only thing I'd worry about is the social aspect of it but I think it's a fair trade regardless of which one you choose.

19. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Homeschooling is not really an option here in our country. You either go to a private or public school. I don't have any idea how homeschooling works or what are the benefits from it. Reading this thread has opened my eyes about the wonders of homeschooling. I think it also is a great way for a parent and child to bond. It strengthens the connection of both. I wish homeschooling is available here as I'd want to take the opportunity to teach my son someday.

20. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the US it seems to be a popular choice, but in the days when parents had little education or books they couldn't so schools have a place for people that don't have that choice.

I would also question how qualified are you to teach your children? If you have been a teacher or have several degrees yes, but many people aren't good teachers, so are you doing the best for your child? I also think children learn to more independent away from the home, and to have other teachers recognize skills in them is something that you deny them when you homeschool them.