What is your opinion on 2nd hand gift giving?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by H.C. Heartland • Jan 1, 2015.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    So would it be appropriate to give a gift that you bought used or at a 2nd hand shop? What is the gauge you use to determine if the item is high enough quality to give as a gift? Some consignment shops sell 2nd hand things that were never opened or look un-used, and so I have given a gift like that before but afterwards always wondered if the person knew. You can also purchase some nice things at yard, garage or tag sales.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it all depends on what item we're talking about. I'm not sure what yard and tag sales are, but I certainly wouldn't buy someone a gift from a garage sale, it just seems so inappropriate and cheap to me. Re-conditioned or barely used second hand electronic gadgets from reputable brands with at least a year's warranty meantime're an altogether different matter. I wouldn't mind those, as I'm sure most people wouldn't. It also depends on the type of person you're buying for, how well you know them etc

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would give them a used item if it obviously still looks new, or if it has a tag or it's still sealed then much better. In Chinese online shops or in Ebay, you can find a lot of cheap items for $2 or $3 only that are suitable to be given as gifts.

4. RedShu22

RedShu22New Member

Threads:
    As an avid thrift shopper....I believe you can give items found in thrift and consignment shops as gifts....providing the items are in excellent condition.
    Over the years I have found great quality clothing and good household products. On several occassions I have gifted some of my finds....the recipients were delighted with the gifts and had no idea they were second hand. Just remember to give good quality valuable items, and wrap them with beautiful wrapping paper.

#4Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  5. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I think that it's pretty messed up if you give someone a gift that someone else bought you in front of the person that originally bought it for you, but besides that I think it's ok. If you are not going to use the gift, you might as well give it to someone who can get some real use of it. Just hope that the person that gave it to you in the first place doesn't ask how much do you like the gift.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For most people, the cost or quality of the gift they get doesn't matter. It's the thought that counts. Second hand items as long as the recipient will find them useful can make great gifts. I've given items like those as gifts because I knew the person I was getting the gift for would be happy to get it but I'd only get it if it looks almost new.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In some cases, it should be okay as long as the item you intend to regift is still in great shape and in great condition. As for myself, I rarely do something like this. Others can give out second-hand gifts but it always makes me guilty. I'd rather buy a useful new item at a relatively affordable price for the people I want to give gifts to.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't have a problem with getting gifts from second hand or thrift shops as long as the item and the packaging are in good condition. If I find something unique enough that I could probably only find it at a surplus or thrift shop then I would consider it especially if it's for a good price. The only thing I worry about when buying old or second hand items is that the packaging is sometimes not in good condition in which case it doesn't look too good as a gift.

9. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    There's a quote that goes something like "One man's garbage is another man's treasure". In my opinion, shopping at a 2nd hand shop for gifts is acceptable, especially if you see something that the intended recipient would like. Some things are only available at these 2nd hand shops or garage sales, such as limited edition goods or things that are no longer produced. In addition, reusable goods that are not affected by reuse can make for a good present at a considerably lower price in most cases. These goods can range from books to movie discs and certain games. One of the things that should be avoided is the gifts that look tacky as it may give off the wrong impression to the recipient.

10. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    In my honest opinion, I think it's fine to give a 2nd hand gift. I, myself, shop at thrift stores and I don't really mind the fact that it's been used. I do look at quality though. If it has smalls rips or cuts, I don't buy it. If ever you want to give gifts from thrift stores, make sure it's in good quality and maybe something that looks a little brand new.

If it looks nice and you know your friend will like it, go ahead and buy it.

11. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it is OK sometimes, especially with books, Cds or games that are li like-new condition. I certainly wouldn't mind receiving a second hand item as a gift if it was something I wanted or needed.

12. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Like others before me said: if I like the gift, if I wanted to have something like it or if I could use it, I would not care who it came from. You could have gotten it for free, for cheap, from a reputable store or from a thrift store, it makes no difference -- we're not supposed to see the price anyway, and that's because it's not suppose to matter. The intention and the effect do matter. A lot of my gifts were bought from eBay: I really loved them. I would not have wanted someone to buy me stuff new just because they thought they had to, if they could find the same product used.

I guess if it looks and feels used, that would be a different story.

13. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I think it depend on who the recipient of the gift is. I personally would like to receive such a gift, because thrift store finds are one of a kind item, something I would appreciate. But not everyone feels that way. Some people only like brand new, on trend items. So it would depend. I do agree about wrapping the gift in beautiful paper. That always adds a certain touch.