What is your summer project this year?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by dissn_it • Jun 23, 2012.

1. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Every year it seems like there is at least one major project that we want to complete before fall and winter comes around again. This year it is all yard work! We moved into our new home last fall and all of the yards were just dirt and rocks. So far we have got the front yard and one side yard taken care of. Now it is on to the back yard and other side yard. I am worn out and burned out on all this yard work already.
    What's your summer project and how is it going so far for you?

2. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Our project is to have our home running completely on green energy by next winter. So, getting solar panels made etc...some home-made, some purchased. Also, making turbines etc. By next year winter, we want an environmentally friendly heated home. It is proving to be fun...(-:

3. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    Hi Linky your project is very impressive. We have also been considering going green, but to put everything in place, such as solar panels etc is quite expensive in our country at the moment. So we are starting with smaller projects such as recycling, taking our own shopping bags to the store and so forth. I guess every little bit helps, but well done for your efforts.

4. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    Our summer project was to totally declutter, simplify and organize the house. We are awaiting a pending move for my husbands work to another city soon.

5. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    My summer project is basically my year-round project: get as much work done as I can. But seriously, I've been working on a play and a screenplay since the middle of spring and my goal is to get them done by Labour Day weekend. Unfortunately, with the amount of work I'm trying to get it done, I find it very unlikely it will be finished by then. So I guess Christmas is the next best date.

6. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    I have several going on at once. I have almost completed my first handmade quilt. Started the maternal side of my family tree and yes a bit early but started my Christmas shopping, I'm hoping to be done by Labor Day!

7. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    We usualy do Gardening . This summer we are trying to get all our emergency kits ready and I have been storing lots of dried foods. We feel that there may be an economic collapse comming in the next few years and we are trying to get as ready for it as possible. I have already lost my job which was a huge financial blow and loss of about 5,000 a month income. So we are putting away food now. I feel that due to the droughts in the middle of this country and the rising cost of food here that many people will be in trouble as soon as next year. We are also working on alternative energy solutions. It is expensive so we are working on our own solar panels. We have gotten good at making them. I just need the batteries and a larger inverter and we will have one ready to go soon. I have been garage saling and finding things we may need in the future . I do have abunch of kids so getting ready is important for their survival as well. We have been buying lots of beans and rice and flour. We also have been buying beef now since the farmers are selling cheaper . I am canning and drying most of it. I Will feel better to have everything ready so if things go bad we will be alright.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My summer project is to work hard during the summer so that my kid and I can move into a better apartment in the fall.
    The neighborhood we live in used to be nice but has gradually become more unsafe, with more crime, so it's time to move on.
    Plus our current place has electrical problems and a leaky roof. It's just time to live somewhere better.

9. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    This summer I have been doing my painting of the bedrooms. I have two done and one more to go. I am going to start on my 3 rd bedroom today. I take my time with it doing one wall at a time. Today I am going to start with the ceiling. When I am done with the ceiling I go though the closets and de-clutter things I do not use and give it to good will. This project will probably go till November as when I am done with the 3rd bedroom I am going to start repainting the hall. I love doing these. Next years project will be paint the outside of the house. My favorite!

10. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    The entire front of my house needs to be redone. Bushes need to be torn out and the deck taken out and rebuilt. It's just been too damn hot out to do any of it. I think I am putting everything off until the fall when things cool down a bit. Right now I am just going to enjoy the sun and backyard.

11. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Our summer project has been (since we have begun the process!) to get rid of all unwanted clothes, shoes never worn, books, cartons and all that is not required in the immediate future. You won't believe the number of things lying around, that has not been touched - only dusted and cleaned - for months!!
    After making the house lighter than it was, I would like to dryclean all the curtains, and clean the carpets. A touch of paint to the ceilings too, if I can get that done professionally. :)

12. taskeinc

taskeincMember

Threads:
    Love horticulture, indoor and outdoor gardening. Plan is to start a garden in the back yard, flowers and plants (I don't do veggie gardens). Actually started the garden last Spring by planting wild flower seeds. I really just bought several large bags of potting soil, spread the bags over a 25 foot by 15 foot area, tossed bags of seeds around, then watered thoroughly. This worked to a degree, because this year, early to mid-spring, the wild flowers began to grow. And grow they did. Turns out the 4 packages of wild flowers I purchased last year were all pretty much "Blackeyed Susan's." They grew to 3 to 4 feet tall but were really not what I was shooting for and I needed much more variety. About a month ago, I took the lawn mower and got rid of the flowers, I'll have to start over.

In the meantime, my indoor gardening is second to none and really all that I am focusing on right now. I have close to 60 plants inside my home, a few plants I've had for more than 20 years.

Attached are pictures of a couple plants I have at home, one is a "Spineless Yucca" and the other is what I refer to as my hybrid container plant, which is a combination of about 6 plants in one large container. Included are Pothos, Scandapsus, Philodendron, Spineless Yucca in the center and it's growing very tall, supported by a wood spike, Hoya, and another type of Philodendron.

hybrid-plant.

hybrid-plant-spineless-yucca.

hybrid-plant2.

13. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    We're tidying up our garden, and also trying to cut down on watering, so we've put down pine bark chippings to retain water and keep down weeds. We've also levelled the edges of the lawn, and put in a decorative edging. The next project is to replace the grass with tiles, because here in Spain, it's difficult to get a really good lawn. That won't happen any time soon, though - we need to wait for it to cool down, because it's far too hot to do all that work.

14. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    My project for this summer, is trying to change some essential aspects of my garden. So far, I inherited after his care, had not had a systematic plan for the exterior design. This time, I think very well each of the plants and flowers that I use, and try to achieve harmony in the whole atmosphere. I would like to add some bush, and in particular some exotic flowers (but with good growth throughout the year). That's one of my challenges: ensuring that the garden is maintained year-round cheerful, even in the colder seasons.

15. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    Well, we completed our summer project already for this year. We extended our backyard patio out another 11'x11', just me, my husband, my sister and her husband. It was very hard work, but so worth it, because now we have a 31-foot long concrete patio to enjoy having parties and BBQs on. Next summer we hope to be able to afford to have a patio cover over it. right now we just have three 10-foot canopies on the slab giving us shade. It works, but it won't last too long.

16. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    Most of my summer projects are now done. I was able to declutter and donate some stuff that we're not using anymore. I sold plastics and newspapers that have accumulated the past months. I fixed and painted my kitchen cupboards. I finished my son's mini book/toy shelf. I'm now planning to plant more vegetables in my garden. I wanted to have turnips, lettuce and eggplants. I also want to have orchids which I can hang on my outdoor wall.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but it's relevant again. Summer is almost here again. Do you have any projects planned this year?
    I see that last summer I was saving for the deposit on an apartment. I'm about 60% of the way there, some setbacks came up that put a dent in my savings, so I still have the same summer project as last year- moving into the apartment building that I've been stalking. What's on your to do list?

18. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My big summer project in the garden will be to drain and fill in the pond to convert it to a vegetable patch. We have two ponds connected by a stream so it will be quite a lot of work filling it all in, good exercise. I'm actually looking forward to it if the weather is good.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we moved here, the garden wasn't done properly, so I purposely neglected it last summer to let the grass take over and now it looks like it never existed. They did a terrible job before us lol. So my big project is to create a new garden and try to make a cozy yard for entertaining and just hanging out with the fam. My last yard took me years to create and it was so beautiful.. felt more like a getaway than my yard. Hopefully I can do that again.

20. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    My big summer project this year is me, lol! I have so much to do and so many things I want to accomplish, but I am in transition and hoping to start a new career. My mom also wants to open a business and I have a lot to do towards getting that set up. We are looking for a new space and my new career is going to require some training - so as I said, I have a lot to do.