What items are worth it to buy in bulk?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by J3NN4 • May 3, 2014.

1. J3NN4

J3NN4Member

Threads:
    Sorry if this isn't the right place for this topic.

My boyfriend and I have a membership with BJ's, but I'm hesitant to buy much since I don't want it to go bad before I can use it. Typically we stay away from foods unless it's something we'll go through quickly.

I usually find pretty good prices for things like toilet paper, paper towels, and household necessities, but that doesn't really seem worth it for the membership. His mom gave it to us as a gift, so we're not losing money on having it, but I'm not sure it's worth signing back up again at the end of the year. We've only been a handful of times :(

2. epiczail

epiczailBanned

Threads:
    We usually buy all of our electronics from BJs, tvs and home theatre systems.. Other things we will usually get is all of the household items you listed like paper plates, paper towels, toilet paper etc.. Almost every time we go we will buy one of the large packages of gum (we chew a lot of it). Another thing that is great is the gas, if you live not too far away that alone is a great perk of the membership.

3. J3NN4

J3NN4Member

Threads:
    I completely forget about the gas! Is it that much of a difference? I just bought a new car, and it takes premium, so anything to help out on gas would be nice. Don't live too far away, about 20 minutes.

Most of the time that I end up at BJ's, I don't have a lot of time to look for everything. We do go through quite a bit of gum, so that'd definitely help out. Thanks!

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm assuming BJ's has a lot of the same selection as a Costco or Sams Club, though I haven't been in one yet.

Some of my favorite items to get at the wholesale clubs are:

- 1/4 lb Chipotle Black Bean Veggie Burger Patties, I think the brand is Morning Star. For some reason none of our regular grocery stores carry these 1/4 lb veggie burgers, and I love them! Plus they are much healthier than ground beef and they are loaded with flavor.

- Santa Fe Tortilla Company Low Carb Tortillas. These things have a great neutral flavor, are low carb, but super soft and easy to roll up. They come in a large box, but I still go through them rather quickly.

- New York strip steaks. You can buy a whole slab of the meat for like $50 and cut a bunch of steaks off of it, for far less than what you would pay if you bought those steaks pre-sliced and individually wrapped.

- Rotisserie Chickens. I'm not sure how they are at BJ's, but the ones at Costco and Sams Club are awesome, they're like 8lbs if not bigger and a great value for the money. It would cost even more to buy a chicken that size fresh, and they're like only $5 at these clubs.

I would be careful with any electronics. I've often noticed their prices are just as much as everywhere else, even if they happen to be selling old models of certain devices. Their TV's actually cost more than Wal-Mart charges in many cases.

5. epiczail

epiczailBanned

Threads:
    ohiotom, BJs is very similar to Costco or Sams.

If we are there to get groceries we will usually get some of their meat, I love BJs steaks. We probably don't go as much as we should because we live a decent distance away (45min or so) but when we do we will usually get enough to last a long while. I forgot to mention how good Costco's pizza is, before we switched to BJs I would always grab a hunk of pizza before we left. It's cheap too.

6. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    Warehouse clubs used to have the best deals on electronics, but I'm not sure that's so true anymore. Now, all of the stores have gotten pretty competitive with the electronics. I guess it depends on what you and your family use a lot of. I try to buy things with coupons rather than buying in bulk, but a lot of people find that the deals are good when buying laundry detergent, paper towels, etc. etc. in bulk.

7. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    For me pens are certainly worth buying in bulk. I lose them so often that buying a lot for a cheap price has me worrying less about losing pens. I found a pretty good offer from another thread on here lemme see if I can find it... Got it:

8. J3NN4

J3NN4Member

Threads:
    OH wow that is a good deal. My boyfriend uses those all the time, I'll have to buy some. I snagged a 30 count of the Papermate InkJoy's at BJ's about a month before school started, for about $5. They're really nice pens, easy to write with, and came with 10 each of red, blue, and black.

9. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yeah, pens and other school/office supplies can definitely be bought at warehouse stores for reasonable prices! I forgot about how much I used to save getting such things at Sam's.

10. epiczail

epiczailBanned

Threads:
    I can't remember the last time I bought pens haha, I will always take a pen from hotel rooms, offices that I visit or other places that have an abundance of pens with their name on them. I will buy a really nice pen or two and hold on to those for a while but always have some pens that I've snagged from places.

11. Loyal

LoyalBanned

Threads:
    I only buy chicken breast in bulk or whatever make sense that is on sale. Sometimes buying bulk is not beneficial to me so I just leave things alone and just look for what is on sale. I realize I do buy Nuts and Salad in bulk too even though I do not eat all the salad. It seems to always go bad before I finish it.

12. J3NN4

J3NN4Member

Threads:
    I've stopped buying the bagged salad since it seems to go bad pretty quick. Usually way sooner than the expiration date. I have much better luck just buying heads of lettuce and making my own salads. Little bit more work but it's definitely cheaper and lasts much longer.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think if the discount is good enough, any non perishable food or product that you were sure to use is worth buying in bulk. The only reason why I wouldn't get something in bulk is if spending that money at that would make me run out of money for other things that I needed. If you're not going to miss that money I think its worth buying.

14. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I like to buy herbs and spices in bulk from health food stores or in the health food section. It's a LOT cheaper and totally worth it. Dried fruits and dried or non dried nuts are cheaper in bulk too. I have seen dog treats in bulk at the pet stores, but none in bulk are grain free, so I haven't bought those there.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well for me, things that are worth buying in bulk are softdrinks, tissue, detergent, soap, shampoo, etc. Junkfoods and other foods that have a long shelf life are ok too.

16. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannonMember

Threads:
    Toilet paper is completely worth it to in my eyes. I do not buy in bulk very often, but when I do it is usually jewelry supplies and/or toiletries. Unless you are reselling products, I don't see much of a point in buying bulk- unless it is something you are going to use over a period of time, guaranteed.

17. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    Anything that wont expire too fast would qualify as a good product to buy in bulk. I prefer shopping a bulk foods stores for meat especially. You can get great deals on it. I dont eat a lot of meat, but I do it some every second day. I like to take one day off from meat.

My diet is quite specific. Haha