What kind of deodorant do you use?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Dora M • Jun 13, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Summer is here again. It's hot and sweaty out there. The smell of deodorants is hanging heavily in the air, and some of those artificial scents really linger around like a disease. They make me think about the chemicals and other nasty ingredients, such as parabens and sodium lauryl sulphate, etc. that people absorb through their arm pits into their bodies. If you use a deodorant, do you pay attention to its ingredients?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I actually have never paid any attention to the ingredients of a deodorant. I just use those stick forms, since I hated the feeling of those roll on deo's back when I was actually using them. Come to think of it, I never look at the ingredients of a deodorant. Maybe when I start using them again I should do that so that I will be aware if it contains harmful chemicals.

3. samoosh

samooshNew Member

Threads:
    I don't look at the chemicals, I just do the smell test in store so that I know what sort of product I'm buying. I use Nivea Pearl and Beauty normally, it smells great in spray and roll on form, and it isn't harsh on your skin like some deoderants can be.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really, I can't say I ever paid attention to ingredients in my deodorant! I will use pretty much the same brand all the time - Dove. I like it cause it's moisturizing and keep me smelling fine. I will usually use stick or roll on. Works for me!

5. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I am always thinking about what's in my deodorant. It's not the deodorant that's bad, but the anti-perspirant because it basically just clogs up the pores in your armpit, not allowing your body to release sweat naturally. I still use it in the meantime, but I do intend on looking for a better alternative because I really just don't think it's good.

6. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I am always changing what brand and type of deodorant I use because none of them really do for me what they promise anyway, I don't expect them to keep me bone dry after hours of exercise like they boast about in the adverts, but I do expect them not to make me sweat even more when I use them!

Oh a little tip for the youngsters on the forum - Lynx is NOT a deodorant, nor is it a replacement for having a shower!!

7. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I use the deodorant stone. I really love it. When it wears out, I'm just going to use essential oils mixed in a carrier oil. They are not an antiperspirant, but yes, they can be used as a deodorant. I currently use lavender and helicrysm for a sunscreen. One day I ran out of deodorant, and used it also for one. It worked as good as a deodorant.

8. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    I have an underarm sweating issue, even though I'm in reasonably fit shape and watch what I eat. Part of me wonders if it may relate to hydrosis or something of that sort.
    In any case, I usually have to use a bit of Drysol to reduce the sweating (alternative seems to be surgery) which is full of all sorts of chemicals. After that I can virtually use any type of deodorant, but I usually aim for Arm & Hammer.

Without the Drysol to stop the sweating itself, I'm kind of out of luck and I've tried virtually all sorts of deodorants / antiperspirants out there.

9. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't like using anti - perspirant ones and for me it has to have a very feint scent as I love to use my perfume too. I find that the cheaper ones last longer than the expensive deodorants too.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My deodorant is the Tawas. Sorry but I don't know how it is called in English. It is the crystal stone that is ground into powder and that powder is what I apply to my underarm. That powder is colorless and odorless and has no side effect like the blackening of the skin. It is a very potent deodorizer.

11. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I know that anti-perspirants are a no no by some experts as they clog the pores in our underarms. I am guilty of using anti-perspirants before. Now, I use an organic deodorant. It is actually just tea tree oil with some other oils. This works for me and it also does not clog my underarms.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't bother looking at the list of ingredients, to be honest. I think I have finally found my holy grail deodorant in the Nivea even tone one. My dark skin doesn't react well to shaving, and darkens as a result of the "trauma". I don't think some deodorants I've used in the past have helped because they may have been too harsh. But a friend recommended this Nivea even tone one, and I finally have pretty armpits :) I doubt I'll swap over to anything too basic and organic anytime soon because I also like the subtle scent of what I use. Luckily for me, deodorant doesn't clog up my armpits.

13. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    I often buy the cheapest one that I can find and definitely avoid using anti perspirants as they stain my clothes and make it hard to breathe.

14. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Whatever is on sale!
    Just like Tasha I avoid anti-antiperspirants too.

15. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    You've brought up a very good discussion. Deodorants block the pores and cause inflammation of skin. However, we use them to avoid embarrassment in everyday life. So, inevitable in a way. However, I like to maintain best possible hygiene and use only best possible Deos.

16. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    I love wearing roll on deodorants instead of the solid deodorants. To be honest, I do not really look at the ingredients. I have read before that deodorants have a lot of chemicals, and that they can even cause cancer. I just look at how they smell. If it smells good, then I buy it. I need to be more conscious about my health.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I use a stick on and I just grab whatever is cheapest. I have tried many brands and I personally haven't seen much difference in the effects on me so I just get whatever is the least expensive, but fortunately for me the cheapest brand here is at least still reputable so I don't worry too much about the ingredients of it. I'd just maybe take a bit more notice on any bad effects but so far I have found none so I'm sticking with it.

18. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I usually use Secret, but I am somewhat concerned about the ingredients. So I’ve been considering switching to something natural, but they tend to be pricey. And that Nivea one mentioned earlier seems tempting even though it’s not an all-natural one; my pits tend to darken when shaving as well, and it’s pretty conspicuous.

19. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Isn't that annoying when the skin in the armpit goes a darker colour with shaving!? I absolutely hate it. But honestly, ever since I started using Nivea's "naturally even" deodorant, my skin in that area looks much, much better. Now I won't feel self conscious during the summer. Give it a try and see what you think :)

20. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    It is quite annoying, I agree. For me it’s kinda like, THAT’S when my melanin chooses to show up?! Haha. I’ll keep an eye out for it, thanks for the heads-up!