What Kind Of Hot Dogs Do You Buy?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Apr 26, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not the biggest fan of hot dogs, but when you have a cookout, it's kind of expected that you offer hot dogs. I read the label and refuse to buy any that have "mechanically separated" chicken or whatever as the first ingredient. I don't like all those fillers and garbage.

I usually prefer all beef hot dogs, if I must buy some. What kind do you buy?

In this case, I think it's a better value to spend a little more to get meat hot dogs instead of serving up ... I don't even know what.

What say you?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy the Oscar Mayer beef hot dogs. They aren't the cheapest hot dogs on the shelf but they taste great. It's not worth it to get 99 cent hot dogs because they taste like vinegar and gristle.

3. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I usually buy all beef hotdogs, and I stick with Ballpark or Oscar Mayer mostly. They now have nitrate free hot dogs (all major companies are basically doing it) and they are a lot more expensive, but supposedly much healthier. They definitely don't taste quite as "fake" if that makes sense (though I like hotdogs so that doesn't bother me).

I've noticed I can get good deals on hotdogs if I'm shopping on the right days... hotdogs get discounted at least once a week in my store for "quick sale" and then I can almost always pair a coupon with that.

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy beef hot dogs. Period. I'm not a huge fan of pork related products or mystery products & regular ole hot dogs really are all over both those aspects. Double coverage? Pick up some Kosher dogs. :D

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If I was buying them for a party, it would depend on how many people I needed to serve. If it was under 10, I would go with a higher quality hot dog, but for really large groups of people, like 40 or so, I would just stick with the cheap-o hot dogs, that are like $1 a pack. Party food isn't something we eat on a regular basis, so I don't mind having some junk food at them once in a while. Plus, people often pick and nibble on stuff, and some of them will leave half eaten hot dogs sitting around going to waste, or drop them on the floor - it kind of sucks spending a bunch of money on them only to go to waste.

But if I were entertaining a smaller group, I would probably stop by Cleveland's West Side Market, which has a bunch of different meat vendors inside who make their own home made hot dogs, which are very fresh and super delicious.

6. DukeMadThane

DukeMadThaneMember

Threads:
    I have been eating turkey dogs, but I never bothered to check to see if there's actually turkey in them. Almost makes me want to go and check, almost. Either way, they are pretty good. Lately I have been making two and putting them in a tortilla with raw onions.

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I get gluten free ones and bring my own. Hamburger and hot dog buns are one thing I really can't cheat on because they have so much added gluten, so I have to buy the gluten free ones and bring it with me, or else I will not feel well within a short time of eating the high gluten ones. Kind of a bummer, but I'd rather be a little embarrassed than have my evening ruined.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a big hotdog fan. When I do eat hotdog's they have to be all beef and free of nitrates or I will get sick. I have found the BallPark Angus hotdogs are tasty and do not make me ill. When I am at an event I do not get hotdogs that are offered even if they say the hotdogs are all beef.

9. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I don't eat hot dogs, not even veggie dogs. There is just something about the texture that turns me off and even though I don't eat meat any more and I like some veggie burgers, I have no interest whatsoever in eating hot dogs.