What Makes You Become A Repeat Customer?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Diane Lane • Sep 3, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you enjoy shopping online, what is it that prompts you to return to a certain shop or website? Obviously we all visit and revisit the usual shops that we're used to from their brick and mortar stores, such as Best Buy, Walmart.com, and other large companies, but I'm talking about small shops.

I know some here have mentioned negative experiences with receiving shoddy products, nightmare delivery times or costs, but assuming the products are good quality, the prices decent, and no issues with delivery, what other factors entice you to return to that particular site or shop?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Great customer service is what will make me a loyal customer. I've had some really bad experiences with online retailers whose customer service was horrible and I learned from those experiences that as long the customer service is great any issues [be it defects with products that have been delivered or something else] will be resolved.

3. Diane Lane

Threads:
    That's one of my big ones, as well. The product quality has to be good, and customer service, as well. I rarely contact companies by phone, it's usually via their email addresses, or sometimes instant chat, if that is an option, and if I have to jump through hoops, or am treated disrespectfully, that's a big deterrent. Not only will I not return to that shop, but I will be certain to leave a negative review in the appropriate place, as well as letting others know.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Along with all the other things mentioned - like value for money, problem free delivery and a free returns policy - its generally quality goods and excellent customer service that keeps me loyal to a particular store - plus the option to pay with PayPal or if not a secure server payment option.

In fact there are only two online stores that I use - that actually match that criteria and one I have shopped with for over 15 years - as I can't fault them in any way - as not only are all the goods excellent quality and value for money - but dealing with customer service is like a breath of fresh air - as they are always happy to go well out of their way to help in any way that they can and always in a very pleasant manner too.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't shop at the large ones you mentioned.. I stay far from them. I like supporting smaller places that those places like to shut down. That's one thing that gets me to come back. If the variety is good, the prices fair, I'm giving my money to someone who needs it etc.. these are great reasons to return.

6. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Yes, I'd forgotten to mention that. I will often shop somewhere if they accept PayPal, versus another similar store that doesn't accept it. I like to keep my shopping money separate from my bill paying money, and so I use PayPal for that purpose. I can use my PayPal debit card pretty much anywhere, but when shopping online, the ability to use PayPal directly is a plus.

I love Nordstrom because of their customer service. Their employees are always very helpful and go the extra mile. I remember shopping with a friend and her children were being very bratty. The clerks were very polite, and so the situation was defused, and my friend was less embarrassed than she might have been elsewhere.

7. watsadamen

watsadamenMember

Threads:
    The are a lot of factors that make me a repeat customer in an establishment. Great customer service is very important to me. Entertaining questions or just even pointing me to the right direction really helps. I also like establishments who offer loyalty points and have great choices for rewards. Having great deals and quality products also make me want to come back to that establishment.

8. AllAboutTheLincolns

AllAboutTheLincolnsMember

Threads:
    First and foremost, I need to know that product quality will be ensured no matter what. Customer service is one thing, but if my product isn't shipped properly, your thin veiled apologies will hold no water to repeat offenses. Of course, when the occasional error occurs, the customer service is a high factor for me. Speaking kindly and being willing to hold me on the phone while I rant is certainly a sign of a great company. However, actions speak louder than words. Work on how you get the products to me before you enact customer service.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can be a repeat customer of a boutique or even a restaurant if their service is good but better if there is a personal touch. Like the attendants in the boutique, if they speak in a natural tone as if there is a personal touch to their suggestion, they can earn a point from the customer. There are attendants who speak in an unnatural tone that is obviously a memorized spiel. It is a turnoff to me.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Good customer service is a big factor in making me want to come back to certain retailers. If they as accommodating then I'm less likely to mind if they make a mistake and I also just like it when a seller knows what it takes to keep a customer satisfied without having to throw a fit. Also the overall process of buying from them has to be a good experience for me as well. If the site is wonky or if the salesperson is disinterested then it lessens my enthusiasm.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Quality and price are key for me. I accept customer service levels are not going to be high and I get over it as I know what I want and need. As long as I don't have to wait too long to pay I don't mind.

Online is slightly different; the website has to be user friendly and I loathe paying for shipping or high rates, so sites that offer free shipping I use or a flat rate. I hate sites that you put something in your basket and then it's sold out, so that does put me off. There was one site like that and if you didn't checkout within so many minutes it was taken out of your basket. It was too stressful shopping there.

12. elvisish

elvisishNew Member

Threads:
    Price and reliability. And also good customer service, so if something goes wrong, as long as they are prompt and helpful then that will encourage me to go back. If iitems are cheaper through a certain shop than most other places, and the quality is good then that will make me a returning customer!

13. Diane Lane

Threads:
    @AllAboutTheLincolns@AllAboutTheLincolns That's a good point. I've been known to rant a time or two, usually when dealing with my internet provider. I can feel another of those rants coming on. I despise how some companies (one of which is my isp) disregard what customers want, while claiming to care about customer satisfaction and retention.

@Corzhens@Corzhens Yes, that's another good point. I often like to be left alone when shopping, but if I'm shopping for something such as electronics or appliances and would like some guidance, I definitely prefer someone who actually knows not only the products, but is familiar with the various products, packages, and the drawbacks and benefits of them. If I ask for assistance, I want a more personalized approach, wherein my questions and particular situation are addressed, rather than hearing some canned speech.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not shop much online but the one thing that I need to keep me as a customer is very good customer service. I need to be able to understand what the person is saying and they need to listen to me as I explain my situation. Often I have received canned responses that have completely turned me off causing me to cancel the service or item.

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    For me it's mainly an issue of item scarcity or rarity, as well as the quality of the products or services. There are some smaller online e-commerce sites that I've bought specialty hand crafted items from that I cannot get anywhere else. As long as the first shipment goes smoothly, I am more than happy to become a repeat customer with them.

It's the same thing with marketing products that I buy online from small independent developers/artists - I will definitely become a repeat customer if they provide good service and good value for the money. One of my current favorite sites to buy things from is CodeCanyon. They have a great selection of plugins and scripts for Wordpress as well as standalone applications, which have made my life so much easier when I am developing web sites for other clients. All the products that I've purchased from there have been high quality, unlike free plugins or plugins purchased from individual web sites. I like that CodeCanyon only lets in high quality stuff to be listed on their site.

16. AutumnFall

AutumnFallMember

Threads:
    An online store or site where their products are always in stock will make me become a repeat customer. No matter how good their customer service is or how high quality their products are, if their products are always out of stock then it's not worth giving my money to them. This type of behavior shows to me that irresponsible with their inventory and oblivious to understanding what supply and demand means.

17. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    N
    Knowing that if it doesn't work or is not what I wanted I can exchange the product without a hassle. Nothing is worse than buying something and it doesn't suit your purposes and the store gives you a hassle about returning it. This is sometimes the case with stores online or those things that have to be returned to an online store.

18. MarriedGirl15

MarriedGirl15Member

Threads:
    What makes me become a repeat customer is easy return, free shipping or low cost shipping. Safety of credit card information, great quality of items and ease of using the website.

19. Harlek

HarlekMember

Threads:
    It's almost always the great quality of customer service. I really hate it when it employees in the shop are rude and seemed to hate what they're doing. I mean sure it's not a fun job but at least try to be as nice as possible, it's not like it's the customers's fault that you end up working there.

In terms of online shopping, I always look out for the convenience of the service. Is the shipping cost reasonable? Did it arrive on time? (although sometimes it's not the shops fault anymore) Are the items in good shape? That sort of stuff.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good deals and responsive customer service would be the qualities that will make me return to a store, whether online or offline. Although to be honest, I just look at the price and the convenience if it's near my place, I usually don't regard good customer service if I will be shopping, the first thing that I consider is convenience.