What "Messenger" apps do you use?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by lindbergh • Jan 6, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since we live in the information age, communication is very vital nowadays. That's why there are a lot of "Messenger" apps available for smartphones and tablets in order to facilitate communication. My most commonly used messenger app is Yahoo Messenger. I have a lot of friends there with whom I chat with. It also allows video calls. Aside from that, I also have Cubie, Viber, and Line. What messenger apps do you use?

2. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    I just use Skype mainly since that's what all of my friends use. I've heard good things about Kik messenger and WhatsApp, never tried them out personally myself though.

3. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    There are more and more people use the Instant Messenger apps, which BBM, Chat On, Whatsapp, and Line are the most popular Instant Messenger apps you can get depending on what kind of the phone you have. Whatapp is by far the well-known and the easier app to use to talk with people as long as you have internet on your phone. BBM is also a good app if you have BlackBerry, which you can talk to the person without having to wait for the other person to reply before you can send messages like text messages do.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have that many. I use regular messaging, the messenger from Facebook, Whatsapp and Skype.

5. qaximor

qaximorNew Member

Threads:
    I use Whatsapp as my main messenger app because that's what all my Friends and Family use. I currently live in Germany so I am far away from my parents so the easiest, fastest and cheapest way to talk to them is through whatsapp. The other messenger app I use which is a messenger and phone app together is called Viber. You can call people from Viber for free all you need is internet connection!

6. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    I use messenger apps every day. I used to use imo.im but now they're going to drop Google Talk support. :( If anyone has any advice for free alternatives I'd be happy to hear it. I keep hearing about WhatsApp, curious about if the features are worth the extra cost.

7. Batiatus

BatiatusMember

Threads:
    I used Skype in the past but in the last couple of months I've started using Viber and I think it is better (at least when it comes to mobile phones). It uses less CPU and it looks neat.

8. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    With the advent of smartphones, instant messaging or more commonly referred to as IMing has gained immense popularity. And due to this play store has gotten flooded with various IM apps. The ones which I use include, Whatsapp, Telegram and Google Hangouts. In my opinion, these three apps are the best IM apps which are present on the play store at the moment. These apps have all the features required for a good IM experience, for instance, attractive UI, reliability and speed.

9. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    What would smartphones be without messenger apps that weren't available to download so that you could chat to the people you know and keep up with them? There are so many of them out there too, with the most popular being WhatsApp, BBM, Kik Messenger and Facebook Chat. Out of these, I only use WhatsApp and BBM since many people I know stick to these messenger apps.

10. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I only ever use Skype. I preferred MSN over Skype back in the day, but at least with Skype voice calls are much easier. I don't use any of the chat apps for smartphones, although I may look into it at some point. I usually just text people anyway so I don't see the benefit of smartphone chat apps.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yahoo messenger is completely outdated, in my opinion. In fact, it started dying before mobile phones even became as popular as they are now. Many people have switched to Skype or Facebook chat almost entirely, so they go with apps that support those two chat systems instead.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really like the "talk" app for gmail, as it basically let's me text around the world to anyone who has a gmail account. I haven't tried out Skype yet, but I am thinking about it. Just recently my sister told me about an app called "what's app", which she thinks is better than the yahoo messenger. So I will check it out and let you know.

#12Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  13. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    With the advent of smartphones, there has been almost a bombardment of messaging apps. There is a plethora of messaging apps in almost all the mobile operating systems. And most of these are compatible with all operating system, so that their users can communicate no matter what operating system they use. A lot of these apps are very good in terms of functionality and feature but the ones I regularly use include Whatsapp messenger, facebook messenger and Telegram.

14. Scottie

ScottieMember

Threads:
    I use Whats App EVERY DAY. Its the only one I use to be honest because its the most popular which means most people have it and its always working unlike like the others which I have heard!

15. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I use yahoo messager alot but I am a big fan of Tango video messages in which I use to communicate with my family who lives far away. I used skype before but only on my tablet. tango is so convient I can use it from my droid phone and time

16. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I only have Skype since it's commonly used. I don't have many people to talk too either so I only have one app. I guess Steam counts but I don't normally use it for socializing.

17. JuLovo

JuLovoNew Member

Threads:
    I keep hearing good things about Whatsapp, so I might go ahead and try that at some point. I've never heard of Viber, but after seeing it mentioned, I'll give that a go as well! I use Skype and Kik, since everyone I know is using either one or both of those. I'm mostly on Kik though, because I can use it easily and sign on through my phone, iPad (wi-fi), and even on my computer -- if I had to. It also uses less battery on my phone, compared to Skype.