What movies do you watch when you are sad and you want to feel comfort?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by 003 • May 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am feeling a little low now, and I just don't know any movie that I can watch to help me ease up. Any recommendation? I just don't really have one in my mind for now. I think a good romantic, comedy or even horror would do fine for me.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My recommendation would be "Fight Club". Whenever I feel a little low or even sorry for myself, I put on "Fight Club", a movie that, after only a short period of time, makes me feel "real" again. During those moody times I also like to watch some good old black and white films with Bette Davies or some other classics. The lack of colours and special effects calms my mind and recharges my energies again.

3. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I'm in my 20s and I'll admit that when I'm sad, I watch barbie movies lol. I own almost all (so I have a variety to chose from) of them and they're all just so happy, so when I watch them I feel the mood tingling through my bones. Either those movies, or I pop in one of the Harry Potter movies (I own all of them), so those are my go-to movies.

4. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    I have a list of them. Lets see, um...

My Neighbor Totoro was my go-to movie as a kid, for whenever I was feeling down or needed to relax. I prefer the lines of the original dub but the voices of the newer dub as the characters actually sound closer to their ages in my opinion.
    Blazing Saddles was there for me when my mother was going through illness. It kept showing up on the TVs they have there and I enjoyed it.
    The Princess Bride is just a feel-good movie for when I'm not quite well. It's like that kid's grandfather is telling me the story too.
    The King's Demons I watch whenever I miss going to the renaissance festival and just as background to relax with. So what if my favorite character ends up getting called a demon, being locked in a dungeon of a castle, and getting captured by guards? He does threaten the bad guy with a sword at the end so that's awesome. Anyway, it's one of my favorites.
    Barbarella:)Queen of the Galaxy) is an unusual choice, but I've watched it a million times and I can just listen and zone out or make funny commentary as I please.
    Hairspray, the new musical version, I watch for whenever I feel insecure about my appearance.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of them right now.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I watch comedies that I've seen 100+ times when I'm sad and looking to relax. I watch Office Space and Grandma',s Boy and Super Troopers. There's something comforting about seeing the same old characters and knowing all the lines.

6. broadwaybabyss

broadwaybabyssNew Member

Threads:
    I love watching Pride & Prejudice. It makes me feel better all the time! I don't know if it's just the language or if it's the period and the clothing. It really makes me happy to see other people in love even though I've never experienced it before. It makes me long for something I've yet to experience. Mr. Darcy is the dream.

7. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I tend more toward certain music when I’m feeling down. Or music DVDs - hello, Best of Blur, haha. Just did that, in fact. But sometimes I’ll go for one of the Harry Potter films, or something like The Mask. I used to know that one by heart, so the nostalgia factor is strong there.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have any go-to movies to cheer me up when I am feeling down or sad, I don't think. There will always, however, be those feel good movies that you can watch over and over again and never get bored of. They are usually movies that I watched and loved as a child.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If anything, I would choose something light or funny. But usually, when I'm down, I reach inside my own head to fix it. It's all a state of mind. If a good movie can make you feel better, you can do it yourself much quicker with a simple choice.

I know I know.. I don't know what I'm talking about lol...

10. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I personally watch the Harry Potter movies when I'm feeling low. They can always bring a smile to my face. I love the series generally so that's what I like to watch. Regardless of how I feel I'll watch them and feel better. I'll watch Shrek sometimes as well. I like how Shrek and Donkey are together generally. There's something that always makes me laugh whenever I see them together.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suggest that you watch Sacha Baron Cohen's movies and Rob Schneider's movies. Martin Lawrence's movies like Big Momma's House and Wild Hogs are funny too. The Janitor is quite hilarious. Download them now and see what I mean.

12. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Try watching The Shawshank Redemption. It has always been my go-to movie whenever I feel sad or bored. In fact, I'm still watching it whenever I study because I already memorized all the lines and I don't need to look at the screen anymore. I just listen to the audio and the video is playing automatically on my mind.

The Shawshank Redemption may look dark at first but I suggest pushing through because it's really a great movie that talks about friendship, hope, and the greatness of the human spirit.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I'm sad I enjoy watching either animations or romantic comedies. Some of my favorite animations to watch are Frozen, Lady and the Tramp and Peter Pan. For romantic comedies I love Mean Girls, What Happens in Vegas and such.

14. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    Inside Llewyn Davis

By design, nothing about a Coen brothers movie is clear-cut. I think my favorite thing about them, especially their most recent work, is that facts are obscured and presented in shades of gray, and Inside Llewyn Davis may be the grayest of them all, with a color palette to reflect that. Questions that may seem to have easy answers at first become complicated the more you think about them. The cat is supposed to represent Llewyn right? Well, maybe not. He might also represent Mike. Because the Gorfeins are Mike’s parents, aren’t they? Well, they could just be the types of academics who housed folk singers in that period so they could seem more “with it.” And on and on.

15. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    When I feel sad or depressed, I always watch an uplifting movie such as ''Robots''. It's about a robot that wants to help his family be in a better position in life. His father is slowly literally falling apart but they don't have the parts or money to fix him. He goes to ''robot city'' which is the land of success. When he gets there, he finds out the good mayor was overthrown by an evil robot. To make things shorter, he defeats him and becomes the good mayor's sort of ''vice president.'' He then goes back to his family with new parts to fix his father and they live happily ever after. I relate to this one a lot.

16. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    When I am sad these are the two genre of movies I love listening to, Christian movies or comedies. I would just tune to any of the Christian channels watch some movies there or listen to messages. At other times I go with watching all sorts of interesting comedy shows.

17. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    In this situation, I always enjoy watching movies based on real events because they always make me feel better. I love seeing how many real people there are out there, and how much they can really make a difference in other people's lives.

Sometimes, comedy movies also work because laughing always does well. ;)

18. kellyon

kellyonNew Member

Threads:
    The Holiday 2006
    With Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz, Jude Law, Jack Black
    great movie to relax, I give it 10/10

19. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I'm sad or feeling down, I usually watch movies that will cheer m e up. A comedy or inspiring and motivational film are some of my good choices. Watching these kind of movies will definitely lighten my mood and will put a smile on my face. Here are some of those films that I recommend for you to watch when you're feeling down: Silver Linings Playbook, Amelie, About Time, The Pursuit of Happyness, It's A Wonderful Life, Where the Wild Things Are, Inside Out :)

20. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I feel sad I usually turn to a station where they are airing Golden Girls. If there is a Red Skelton movie, Abbot & Costello or Danny Kaye movie I'll find it and watch them. Red Skelton & Esther Williams in Bathing Beauties, Abbot & Costello in Hold That Ghost or Danny Kaye in The Court Jester are all good & funny movies. Something that draws me away from all my troubles is Ice Age...it just relaxes me to not think of all my troubles, give them to Holy God to solve and watch a fun movie, perfect! Take care and I hope your problems get solved!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.