What must I do?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Jatelo2 • Sep 20, 2012.

1. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    The Computer I have been using with alot of ease has recently proved to be very unreliable. It hangs at will and keeps on telling me that 'the system is low in Virtual Memory. Even after cleaning it with a registry cleaner there is no much difference. What might have happened and where do I go from here...It is a Dell Optiplex Desktop Computer!

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Virtual memory is actually hard drive space being used as memory. if your hard drive is full or getting close to being full, you will see that message. You will need to delete files that you do not want/need anymore, including temp files. Then remove any and all programs that you no longer use or want. Then empty the contents of your Recycle Bin. I would also run a Defrag. This should free up space on your hard drive and thus increase your virtual memory. You can check how much hard drive space is available before and after by simply right clicking on your C drive and select Properties via Windows Explorer.

3. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    If this problem occurred suddenly without any warning, perhaps you could look in the direction of your computer being infected by malware or viruses. These illicit programs could tap into your virtual memory, sucking it up and leaving little for the normal performance of your computer causing the frequent hangs and unstable performance. I suggest you update your virus scans up to the latest definitions and then run a full system scan with your internet access cut off during the period of the scan. If viruses or malware is detected, get rid of them and see if this improves the performance. If it doesn't then perhaps the problem could really be that you have too much "junk" on your hard drive so follow dissn_it's advice then! I hope this helps!

4. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Check your disk space. Maybe you have used almost all of your disk space that's why the message low virtual memory keeps on popping out. If all the files you have are important to you anc you can;t just delete it, adding a new hard disk will solve your problem. Keep us updated. :D

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was going to suggest this. It does sound like your disk space is running low. If you don't want to delete your files, then back them up on a flash drive or CDs. Do you have any programs that you are using? Delete them. Sometimes, I download software for a specific tasks and never use the program again.

6. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I have been wondering what the virtual memory error is all about. Thanks to this response I now know. Thanks, I'll certainly do as you suggested and get back to you on this thread with results!

7. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:

38% of my Hard Disk is still free. I think I'll have to defrag, uninstall those programs that I don't use frequently and then scan my computer. If all these don't work I'll be back with the sad news. However if all these suggestions I got from you and others work, then I'll be back with the good news on this thread! Thanks to all!

8. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    You might have a virus or some sort of malware. Scan for that. Also, your hard drive might just be dying if your computer is really old/worn out/had magnets or a phone nearby it most of the time/etc.

9. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    You are very welcome. With 38% free disk space, it seems as though you should not be getting this message. The other posts that are mentioning a virus are probably correct. I would actually scan and clean any viruses first. I would still clean up my system and run Defrag after that though. Even a computer needs to have a good clean up once in awhile!

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    How old is it? You may want to reformat to get it back to its original 'clean' state. Just make sure you back up all your files and programs before you do.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the defrag doesn't work. Try increasing your virtual memory. Virtual memory is dedicated space on your hard drive that the computer uses like it's RAM. Since 38% of your hard drive is free, try increasing it a few hundred MB.

12. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Would mind telling more on the magnet and phones and how they might end up killing my hard disk. I didn't know that at all. I'll be grateful...