What presents do you buy when travelling?

Discussion in Travel started by daimashin • Dec 17, 2013.

1. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    What kind of presents do you guys buy when going on vacation? I like to buy things that are local than is hard to find anywhere else. Not necessarily have to be expensive but presents that represent the place.

2. writeletters

writelettersMember

Threads:
    That's exactly what I like to do, because I don't think there is much point in buying something you could easily get from somewhere else. I like something that reminds me of the place I went to, otherwise there isn't any point in shopping overseas (unless it's significantly cheaper).

3. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on where do I go and the destination I will land. I usually shop at the airport, which has become one of my favorite shopping places because there are things you just cannot buy elsewhere other than at the airport. I love to go to the mall whenever I arrive to my destination because that's where I can get some of the unique items from. Otherwise, I don't usually buy presents when traveling because you have to find good places to shop for.

4. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    Like yourself I also like to find presents that represent the area that I am in. It's nice to give something to someone that is a little bit different and they they may not have seen before.

5. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I know it's a huge cliche but I buy fridge magnets of the place I'm in.
    I't not the most original but it's a nice easy purchase that I can buy the same for everyone and it's reasonably cheap.

6. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    When I travel, I purchase goods that are unique to that area or key chains as presents. Both items help me hold onto the memory of the visit. They also usually are affordable.

(Unique Key Chain)

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some things can be found exclusively a place. For example if you're traveling in Africa and want an authentic African drum, then since that's the only place it can be obtained then the most logical thing to do would be to buy that drum rather than get home and try to order the said drum from Africa. You'd get it an exorbitant price and it might not even be genuinely "African."

That analogy works all the time. So yeah, guys, it doesn't need to be an "African" drum. Just anything.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually buy either local gifts that I think people will enjoy (keychains, t-shirts, little cute decorations) or I will go to a bath store or something like that and get the females shower gels or moisturizers. For men I will usually get a t-shirt or some gadget I find.

9. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    Nothing usually, a lot of the souveneir type gifts are just trashy and junk and will break. I usually buy some things from wherever I'm visiting just like I would if I was back home but that's not really a present, I think shopping for presents in a foreign country would be a bit of a disaster.

10. freebiefan1

freebiefan1New Member

Threads:
    I usually buy snow globes and Hard Rock cafe t-shirts, if there is a Hard Rock Cafe in town.

11. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I always bring home some T-shirts and little purses and ref magnets. I give them to my friends. So far, they're liking them.

12. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    In about a month I am going to Mount Rushmore and I am planning to get the kids t-shirts or maybe a book, not really sure what they will have, but I will buy something related to that for them.

13. Adryan

AdryanMember

Threads:
    I think T-shirts , Toys for kids, purses for girls and grocery some times, if that person is close to me than i usually ask them what they what and try to buy that thing!!:)

14. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of things for the kids and for the older, is for the kids like toys and I think if you go to travelling then it's essential for you that you buy one thing for yourself to remember those travels by this thing..

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I just try and find small tokens or souvenirs that can only be found locally, and sometimes food or clothing too if it's allowable. The only thing I've stopped buying when on trips is the souvenir shirts because I don't think anyone really wats them that much anyway and it takes up a good amount of space in my luggage going home.

16. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I hate buying things like memorabilia and all that other stuff that nobody really wants except maybe if you're a hardcore collector. I prefer the delicacies and the local food I can take home and share with friends.

17. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I try to not spend money on souvenirs when I travel. It saves me quite a lot. I take photos to remember the experience. I'd rather put my spending money toward an activity or a local restaurant in the area. Those types of memories are more fun for me. If I do need to buy something for someone I'll buy something small that they'll use in every day life like a bottle opener or a photo frame. Whenever I used to buy tshirts they ended up at the bottom of my closet.

18. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    It's a bit odd, but I've always bought my wife a snow globe from anywhere I travel for business. It's funny how even in places I've traveled that don't get snow, I can still find a snow globe to bring home to her. Sometimes it takes a bit of searching, but so far I've always been successful.

19. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy these some sort of figurines they offer. Like miniature versions of a famous landmark or a symbol of the country. I once went to Singapore and I bought this awesome looking Merlion mini fountain. I also love to purchase local treats and snacks which sometimes works sometimes doesn't since most of them tastes really weird.

20. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I actually don't like to buy presents when I'm travelling, because I find that it is a waste of money, and the majority of things that you buy would never actually be used for anything, and might even be thrown out. So I always avoid spending money where I don't need to. The only exception to this rule that I make is if I see something that I need, for example clothes or a type of food or drink that people in my family like, and I will buy these things as long as they are cheaper where I am buying them than they would be in my own country. That is the only time that I would even think about buying a gift for somebody. I take lots of photos for my memories, and to show other people. I don't see any need to give people a gift because I have been on holiday. It has always seemed like a rather strange custom to me.