What proportion of your Christmas shopping is done online?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by GemmaRowlands • Sep 17, 2014.

1. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, there was no way that any of the shopping would be done online at Christmas - simply because such a thing didn't exist. And then, with the invention of eBay, I started to find things online that I wouldn't be able to find anywhere else. Slowly but surely, this has built up to the extent that I truly believe that I spend just as much online as I do offline. I never do the food shopping online, because I found that they would choose the things with the shortest dates that they wanted to get rid of - so I will always go to the shop in person in order to sort that out. However, things that I am buying from retail stores I will often order online these days, because it means that I don't have to pay the £10 return that it would cost for the train to go into the city to buy things for myself. Usually, if I buy from one shop (like a department store, for example, or make the most of Amazon's free delivery), I will find that the postage is cheaper than it would have cost me to get the train.

I do, however, feel as though I might be missing out somewhat on the whole atmosphere of Christmas shopping, which I haven't had the chance to enjoy for a number of years!

How do you feel about it? Do you find that you shop more online than offline these days?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Almost all of my Christmas shopping is done online because the prices of the items my daughter wants, like games and TV shows, are too high at brick and mortar stores.
    Online shopping lets me compare prices all over the place and get the best deal. It's been over a decade since I paid the full retail price for a video game or movie to give as a Christmas gift.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't do Christmas shopping online.

I normally do most of my Christmas shopping early. Because I always have to see off guests who stay with me at Christmas time, when I'm going back I can't help myself popping into the stores and buy a number of items [ like toys and other small gifts] which will be really cheap since no one else will be buying them until the following year probably. It's much cheaper than even buying online.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    All of it. Well not really I sometimes go out and buy stuff just to get out of the house and have fun but all of my shopping is done online. It's really more convenient and you're not obliged to suffer while waiting in line or trying to squeeze your way out of a thick crowd.

5. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I do about 50% of my Christmas shopping online. I prefer to do a lot of spur of the moment shopping and walking the malls at Christmas time is something that I actually enjoy. For big ticket items, I make sure I'm getting the best deal online, but when it comes to toys for my kids and things like that I'm happy to hit Walmart during the season.

6. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what gift I'm buying really. I usually just purchase clothes as gifts so I tend to just roam around the malls and find some great deals. I never really liked shopping for clothes online. But when it comes to other things like electronics or decorations I usually just go online, it's far cheaper and more convenient.

7. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    Mostly I like to go to the shops in person when I have the time especially around christmas just for the holiday atmosphere, but sometimes it can get on your nerves though so I do order certain things of the internet like dvd's, games that I want to get for myself or for friends, or other small gifts for people that I find interesting and haven't seen in the shops.

8. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Very little actually. I don't have loads to buy, so it can usually be done in 1 or 2 trips at most. I might browse on line but so far have always done all the purchasing in store.

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    What you described fits our situation pretty accurately- even down to the often picking online shopping, even with shipping charges, to avoid high transportation costs. I know what you mean, though, about missing the atmosphere of actually *going* Christmas shopping...even if only browsing and window shopping. I do a lot of my shopping online these days, probably at least 80%. No food generally but most other things. We've gone pretty all out for Christmases in the past but we're really tight on money this year and so I'm not sure we'll be doing Christmas shopping at all, online or otherwise.

10. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    Nowadays almost all of my shopping is done online. I hate going out to stores to shop for stuff like that when all the stuff I want is right there at home. The only disadvantage is waiting for it to arrive but I'm not above paying the little bit extra to make sure my stuff gets here on time. I like how much more selection you have and I've never ordered anything that came broken or missing. I guess it has to do with my age since it seems like the ordering online thing came around when I was growing up and my generation took to it like a fish to water.

11. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I do all of my Christmas shopping online in November so that I will know for sure that the items will be here in time. I like that I can get great prices and discounts online for everything that my family wants. It saves me a lot of time and money every year. I do not like going to a crowded mall and waiting in line just for a few items.

12. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Usually I buy up Christmas shopping in brick and mortar stores but this year will be different. I will be buying 90% of my stuff online this year. I have a ton of Giftcards I will be using so all in all, online will be best for me. I'll sit back and wait for UPS visit me daily.

13. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I do as little of my Christmas shopping online as possible. I like going to the store and listening to the holiday music and picking gifts out. I also like to support actual stores because I know so many of them are hurt by online shopping. The only time I will buy online is if I cannot find the item in store or if the price difference is so great that buying online is significantly cheaper.

14. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    I personally like to shop online for Christmas gifts, and here's the reason why. When you shop online, not only can you frequently get lots of items at wholesale prices (eBay and Amazon), but you can also find exactly what you're looking for. When searching for something extra special, I can buy from Etsy. Not only am I supporting online Artisians and small business owners, I can find a completely unique gift for each and every person on my Christmas list. I plan to buy my husband some handmade rice/flax neck warmers for Christmas on Etsy, they are expensive, but they are quality and he needs one, I can't find this particular item in a physical store. Now, I don't do all of my Christmas shopping online, I do like to scour Walmart Christmas shelves when the time is near. There are lots of nice, cheap bath sets for all of the ladies in my family. Shopping in the store near Christmas also gives you this warm fuzzy feeling, seeing all of the pretty decorations and happy faces. I like to do most of my shopping online, but I always make a point to do some in-store shopping.

15. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    None :/ I'm a procrastinator and will probably wait until november to start mine. Most will likely take place in december! I don't have too many people to shop for so I'm not stressed about it. If I find a good deal I will purchase things earlier but the good deals usually happen in those months anyway.

16. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    I think that you miss out on the fun of shopping when you just shop online. Now when it comes to black Friday it is for sure worth shopping online for. Now that I have a son, I think we will do a little bit of both shopping online and in stores. A lot of toys are only sold online for some odd reason. Clothes are the same way. You can seem to never find cute clothes for boys unless it is online. I think when you shop for your family you should go into a store because it just helps put you in that great holiday cheer mood. Who cares about the grinches because they should not matter when you are having fun.

17. lemony

lemonyMember

Threads:
    About 75% of my Christmas shopping is done online. I visit popular stores and go window shopping for items I would like to purchase and order them online within a week. It takes the stress out of the holiday foot traffic and I don't need to carry several shopping bags while going through the crowd. I would not need to wait in line at the register, either. Everything gets delivered to my door with ease. Sometimes, these stores even have rebates on delivery charges, so it's a win-win situation.

25% of my shopping is done all throughout the year. For example, I see an item (maybe during summer) that a family member or a friend would like for Christmas, I would wait until it goes on sale and then buy it. Although, I'd purchase it immediately if that particular item is low on stock and reproduction for it has already been halted.

#17Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  18. Happy247

Happy247Member

Threads:
    I would say about 50% of my Christmas shopping is done online and I always get an early start. Being out with others shopping for gifts, trying to find parking, long lines and a host of other things has made me prefer online shopping. It saves me time, money and a headache. But lately I've been considering just giving out gift cards. I know that some people prefer a gift because it's more personable but I've seen some of the gifts that I've spent my hard earned money on (months down the road) broken, re-gifted, in the trash, or sitting on the shelf collecting dust. Sometimes all of the Christmas Hype is just not worth it.

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    For the past two years I've been doing all my Christmas shopping online and it's been fun. The only thing I dislike is that shipping during Christmas can be a little risky or at the very least very hectic. Also, I found that most prices online are usually a bit higher than in physical stores since online shops add a bit to the price for shipping. All in all, I think it's fun and it saves me the trouble of having to fight through crowds so I'm fairly satisfied with it.

20. Nikole

NikoleMember

Threads:
    This past year I think I probably did 95% of my Christmas shopping online. The only things I did not buy online were the things that go in the stockings - candy, small toys, etc. I do not miss the atmosphere of Christmas shopping; in fact, I prefer to avoid the crowds! I see this year being the same for me. I also do most of my shopping for all other holidays/special occasions online. Shipping can be sketchy depending on who you shop with during the holidays, but live and learn!