What Store Do You Find The Best Clearance Deals?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Sunshine • Jan 30, 2015.

1. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    Which stores do you find the best clearance deals at? Some of my favorites:

Big Lots - when there is a clearance here I sometime find things 90% off. On good occasions I have found things for pennies here!

Ross Dress for Less - occasionally I come at the right time and there is an extreme markdown going on, and they've marked clothing down as low as .49 cents!

Marshalls - this one is more tricky, I only find extreme deals once in a while. At some point they mark things down onto a yellow label, and that's how you know they think they are really going down low.

Which stores do you find have great clearances?

2. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Every time I've gone to Kohl's, I've gotten really good clearance deals. I once got a sweater that was originally $80 for $12! Which is pretty dang good. You have to dig a little bit, since the clearance racks are ALWAYS are giant mess, but I do find some great deals! I've managed to snag some basic tees in the men's section for only a few dollars before, which is great. The men's section will always have something that's okay to wear for cheap. It takes longer to find something in the woman's section, since they only ever have the ugly clothes left, haha. ;)

3. squeeiswin

squeeiswinNew Member

Threads:
    Target has some pretty good clearance sometimes, but has the weirdest clearance sections I've ever seen (seemingly random endcaps along with clearance mixed into the aisles with their non-clearance counterparts). We ended up getting a $130 vacuum for $90 because the box was damaged pretty badly, even though the vacuum was in full working order.

TJ Maxx is great, too, though you already mentioned Marshalls.

We have a clothing store in town called Plato's Closet. It's a secondhand shop for brand-name clothing. My girlfriend consistently gets dresses and tops for ~$3-5 there. It's an incredible bargain. They also consistently have sales and have a rewards-type card where you get 20% off an entire purchase after spending $100(?) there. The 20% is stack-able and you can combine the money spent on one card with the money spent on another card. They're just hole-punched, so it's not surprising, but still nice.

4. jcort

jcortMember

Threads:
    I have gotten some incredible toy clearance form Target and Toys R Us, particularly in July. It's the best time, because they're clearing off their shelves for the upcoming Christmas season.

Clothing clearance- Old Navy, JCPenney, and Walmart. I'm amazed by how low they mark their ladies' clothes.

Men's Clothing clearance- Kohl's.

Men's Outdoor Gifts- Cabela's clearance can be really awesome, or it can be hit and miss.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate paying full price for anything these days, knowing that in a few weeks those same items will be marked down like 75% to 90% off. I know that if everyone was waiting around for these sales, the stores would go out of business, but it really sucks to be paying something off on your credit cards for months, knowing that you could have gotten those same things for next to nothing if you just held out a little longer.

It's gotten a little trickier these days though to get some of the great deals I used to get in the past. Many of the so called discount stores are still using the old tactic of putting some ridiculously high "retail" price on the item to make it look like their price is so much better when often times it's not. Ollie's stores do this big time, most of the items they sell are no cheaper than what you would pay elsewhere. Sears has outlet stores where they sell refurbished/returned items - I've seen damaged used vacuum cleaners in there selling for more than what I would pay for a brand new one elsewhere.

Target is pretty reliable, if you hit up their end caps and snag stuff on clearance. They are especially generous with their discounts on seasonal home decor. I've decorated several apartments I've lived in with almost all Target stuff on clearance, lol.

Dillards is another favorite, because when they really want to get rid of clothing at the end of the season they mark it all down to next to nothing.

Big Lots these days are kind of hit or miss for me. Their stores have gotten a little nicer where I live - they're not all messy like they were in the past, and they are staring to carry more name brand food items and other merchandise. But overall, it seems like their prices have gone up a bit too. But you have to watch with their items, some items are cheaper than other stores, but other items are more expensive. I've seen items such as canned goods and pantry stuff cost more at Big Lots than they would at the grocery store, for example.

6. haitch

haitchNew Member

Threads:
    I know this may be a silly answer but TJ maxx. I buy almost all my shoes there and get quite a good quantity of my clothes there as well. Not once have i got a badly made product or had to return something. I know it may not have the biggest mark downs in store but it has some good ones compared to everywhere else for you good quality brands.

7. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    TJ Maxx is a good one. They have good deals in there practically everyday. Big Lots is full of steals as well, I also go to Academy Sports for sales quite often as well. Their products are cheap in comparison to most sporting goods stores.

8. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    Ross and Marshalls are definitely in my top 5, but Burlington Coat Factory is my all time favorite place to find killer deals. I love to grab home furnishings there, and they always have the cutest little dresses for a night out.

9. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have noticed that a lot of people have already mentioned TK Maxx, but I find the deals that you can get in that store really shocking sometimes. Some of the items are designer and then available at prices which are much, much lower - and this is something that is great for me. It means that I can get very nice things without having to completely empty my bank account in order to get the things that I want. It can sometimes seem like total chaos in there, but if you have an hour or so to be able to have a good look, you can find some great things.

10. meenz

meenzNew Member

Threads:
    I find a lot of good deals at Ocean State Joblot. It's near my house (about a ten minute drive) and they have a nice selection of things. Almost every isle of the store contains a small clearance section in which I pick out most of the things that I continue to use frequently.
    The second place I go, which most people are iffy about, is Good Will. The store usually has a monthly deal in which everything that is labeled with a certain color is on clearance. People can either be accepting, or extremely stingy about buying hand me down type clothing. I have no problem with it. All clothes can be washed, and I will wear whatever looks clean and is of my interests.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where I used to live I had a Ross a couple blocks away and would always go there. They had AMAZING deals all the time! Sometimes better, sometimes not that many. But I have gotten so much great stuff there, from perfumes to shoes and clothes. Unfortunately I moved and there is no Ross where I currently live. Such a shame.

12. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    This isn't silly at all! I entered this thread with TJ Maxx in mind along side with Ross. They both already sell the items for a discounted price to begin with. Buying them on clearance results in double the price mark down. It's great. Some of my biggest savings have been at those stores. Getting something there of better quality rather than settling for less is smarter to do too.

13. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I like Target, because they have what seems like everything in their store, and the one that is close to me is huge, and seems to have good prices, even without clearance deals. I also like Ross, and TJMaxx, especially for home-goods stuff, like decorations. I like KMart too, but sometimes their prices can seem way too high when compared to a place like Target.

14. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    I forgot about Target. They have some great sales. Honestly, I feel like their clearance is limited in what I actually want, but when the items I do want end up being there it is something I really like. Sometimes, there is an item on clearance that you like, however, you are not crazy about it. Target, on the other hand, has some products I love on clearance.

15. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, Target is my store, although I guess that all Targets are not created equal according to some people. I like Target because it's basically a one-stop shop for me. Their groceries are cheap, they have home-goods, clothes, toiletries, the whole 9 yards under one roof. I like the dollar section too.

Oh, and speaking of stuff for a dollar, I totally forgot about mentioning Dollar Tree. I went there the other day and could have almost kicked myself for not going there more often in the past. I need to go there much more often than I have been, I'm starting to adore that place.

16. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    Are their groceries really cheap? I have not had that experience with them, and although all Targets are perhaps not created equal their prices should stay relatively the same. When it comes to groceries I choose Aldi or Meijer. Yet, even the latter can be expensive for me if I do not use coupons and MPerks.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I almost always just go to the clearance section of any site when I'm browsing for something to buy online. I always make sure to check there first because I know the prices are low and chances are I could probably get multiple items for the price of what I would have spent on just one in their regular section. I tend to go to clearance areas more on online sites rather than at physical stores because having to dig through the bargain bin isn't always fun for me especially when there are lots of other people around trying to do the same.

18. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I fear I may start to sound like a broken record, but again, for me it comes right back to TK Maxx! I can hand on heart say that I get my best deals from there, designer wear at a snip of the original price. I know people in America are spoilt for choice and get a lot more variety, but for me TK Maxx is what I usually have available to me in the UK. -and I don't get much else besides that, sadly. Here in Botswana there's NOTHING LOL

19. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    Lately it's been Walmart for me. I've been finding a lot of summer stuff that's marked with regular price and then when I price check it, it comes up $1 most of the time. Big Lots used to be one of my favorites but nowadays I never find anything good. JcPenney and Macy's are some of my favorite for clothing, especially when I've got coupons to combine.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it comes to snacks, I like the Manager's Specials rack at Kmart. I have found fruit sodas for 15 cents, bags of snack size 3 Musketeers and other brand name bags of fun size candy bars for 99 cents, Rice A Roni for 60 cents, Triscuits and Wheat Thins for 99 cents and a family sized bag of Twizzlers for 99 cents. When I pass through Kmart to get the Saturday freebie and grab my store pickup items, I always check the Manager's Specials. By the way, my favorite Kmart Freebie Saturday giveaways have been the mini bags of cheese popcorn and the cotton candy.