What store has the best return policy?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by wickerbaskets • Jul 31, 2012.

1. wickerbaskets

wickerbasketsNew Member

Threads:
    I find that huge chain stores have really good return policies. I know this is not good but I usually find myself purchasing something from a big box type of store as opposed to a mom and pop shop just because I know if something goes wrong I can return it without any issue to the large store. Mom and pop shops typically don't have such lenient return policies.

What are some of your favorite stores that offer a very nice return policy?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is true. Often the smaller store will only give you store credit when you return an item. That is a problem when there is nothing in the store you want to get in place of the item you are returning.

3. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    Yes and no. There are many variables. I bought a deck kit from Home Depot where you give them the specs and they drop off the parts. They gave me enough hardware and wood to build a battleship. They took everything left over back no questions asked. On another occasion I bought a dresser kit that was missing parts and it was like pulling teeth out of them to get the situation resolved.

Some stores have different policies. Some will give you your money back and others will just replace the item with another one so if you purchased a flawed product they will just give you another one which puts you no further ahead. It's important to know what the policy is in the store you are shopping in.

4. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    One place I've never had a hard time to return items is Wal-Mart. They never question me and just either give me cash back or let me trade it out for another item. They have an excellent return policy.

5. Marchese

MarcheseMember

Threads:
    i really hate to admit it but walmart. I have never had a problem with returning items there with or without a receipt. I really hate to admit that but it's true.

6. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I am going to give my vote for Apple. I have a Iphone4 and it comes with a charger and a headset. I admit I am a bit clumsy with them, and its not really Apple's fault. But every time I go there with the most slightly damaged cord, they immediately replace it without asking me a thing. I didn't even but my phone at Apple, I actually purchased it at Verizon.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It used to be that Nordstrom's had the best return policy in retail. They still have a great return policy, but Walmart has a better one. I really don't return many items as I'm a very picky buyer. When I make a purchase, I tend to keep it unless it's defective in some way.

8. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I think Target has a pretty good return policy. I've never had any issues with them. Although, I'm like Parker in that I usually know what it is and why it is that I'm buying something, so unless there is a defect, I don't return it.

9. taskeinc

taskeincMember

Threads:
    Best return policy, have to give the nod to Walmart. I have purchased several USB headsets from Walmart (actually bought only one) and any time one goes bad, I take it back and return it for another one, no questions asked. It's a logictech headset and I really need to switch to another brand because their headsets don't last 2 months before they start going bad.

10. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I have noticed in the past few years that returns are super easy at most of the big box stores now. At times, one doesn't even need a receipt and Walmart, Meijer, Target, Menards, etc. will still take your item back. If you buy something with a credit card they can determine how much to refund you from just swiping your credit card. This sure saves a person time. I know in the past, I've spent hours searching for a receipt because stores used to insist that you have it.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's true ,you can return almost anything at Walmart. The only time I've had a problem is when I bought a 4 disc set of the Japanese version of The Ring.
    When I opened the box set, I had 2 "Ringu 2" discs and no "Ringu 3" disc.

Even though it wasn't my fault the factory made a mistake and I got 2 of the same disc, Walmart wouldn't exchange it because they don't exchange opened discs due to piracy. If they accepted DVD's back, people could burn copies and take them back.

12. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I love shopping at Dots its a clothing store and their return policy is any time, any reason, at any dots store. I love the fact that I do not have 30 days or less to return a purchase since I travel a lot. I like Macy's return policy because I always use my bank card when I purchase from them so they could always find my purchase in the system and process my return.

13. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    Well I know from personal experience Walmart have a very good return policy. I was able to exchange an item without any receipt. It was extremely quick and no hassle. They seem to be very flexible, which is very nice.

14. Meow

MeowMember

Threads:
    Staples is a lot like Walmart in their returns from what I've seen - in that they're really agreeable and easy to use.

15. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I love Asos.com's return policy. Asos is a UK based company, but their transactions are so flawless that it's not a hassle. First of all, the shipping is free no matter where you live or the weight of your order; that is a huge deal. It would cost me atleast ten dollars for international shipping with another company. I also get my products in a timely fashion. I think it took my last order about 8 business days on international shipping. Another time I ordered something using express shipping. The order did not get to me by my birthday and they promptly refunded my shipping without giving me the run-around. Not only is the shipping free, but the returns are free. I couldn't think of a better return policy if I tried.

16. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Threadless' is pretty good even for international buyers. I think they cover the shipping fees even if you choose the size wrong. As a buyer, I'm quite satisfied with that!

17. Deana

DeanaNew Member

Threads:
    If you ask my husband, he'll says hands down, that Costco wins the best return policy. He should know too, he returns more items than anyone I know. I think it's because he's a bit of an impulse buyer. At least he returns it though, there are many people who impulse buy and then never return the item even if they don't like it.

I wish I could remember who it was, but I saw an episode of Ellen where she was chatting with a celebrity who said the same thing, Costco loves to take stuff back. It can be used, half worn out, old...it doesn't matter, no questions asked. Because of this we try to buy as much as we can from there.

18. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    For as much grief as Wal Mart gets they really have the best return policy. They only ask you so they know if it is broken and needs to be returned to the manufacturer or not. Otherwise, they couldn't care less and will let you return anything, no matter the condition.

19. eLiz21730

eLiz21730New Member

Threads:
    I vote for Kohl's, hands down! You can take anything back and it can be months after the purchase date without a receipt. Now, I should clarify and say that I have and use only my Kohl's charge there (otherwise, I can't use all of those coupons they send!) and so the experience may be different for those without a charge. What I really like is that even without the receipt they can scan the item and look up the transaction to credit my account. Recently, though, the transaction didn't show up for whatever reason and the associate gave me a gift card instead.

Target would be a close second for me because they will also scan the item and pull up the transaction without a receipt. I don't know how many other retailers are doing this, but I sure do value it as a customer!

20. Shamarv8

Shamarv8Member

Threads:
    Bed Bath and Beyond, hands down. As long as you have your receipt or purchased the item electronically, you can receive a full refund, no matter how much time passed since you initially purchase the item, barring moderate to severe damage to said item. If you don't have your receipt, and the item is undamaged of course, you can return the item for store credit. Working there and seeing some of the things people would return, and how long people will it keep items before returning them, gave me an entirely new respect for the people who work at the service desk.