What Strategies Do You Have For Cheap Holidays?

Discussion in Travel started by Onionman • Jul 15, 2015.

1. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'm always looking for ways to travel as cheaply and efficiently as possible. I collect air miles when I can and always look to buy tickets well in advance. I also use the price comparison sites and preferably travel in lower season.

But what other tips do you have for going for cheaper holidays?

2. JonathanHoddle

JonathanHoddleNew Member

Threads:
    Hey Onionman

Whenever I plan for holidays overseas, I always prefer to book vacation rentals online.

This saves a lot of my time and money and also prevents me from the inconvenience.

So if you want to save your precious money and want to have hassle-free vacation then do book rentals beforehand.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to travel with my camper van whenever possible. It literally saves me a fortune in accommodation costs. I have a bed and kitchen wherever I go. Camping in a tent is also a good alternative if you don't happen to have a handy van.
    Often you will find good deals at YHA's, which seem to me a lot friendlier than many motels in which I stayed. In YHA's you can also cook for yourself if that is your inclination. It saves money to prepare your own food instead of eating out. Also, on a hostel's noticeboard you will often find special tour offers and discounts in local cafes and shops.

4. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Travel at off peak times.
    Also shop around.
    Finally have a travel budget just like you do at home! Try to not live like a tourist, take in free local stuff in the place you are visiting and don't eat out the whole time.

5. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really travel for the holidays so to speak because my husband's family is really close so we usually just drive. But for other things like gifts, decor, etc I usually buy it when I see it on sale during the rest of the year. However, I don't get it TOO far from the holiday season; I usually start keeping an eye out around September (or if it's clothing, around back-to-school when the sales are).

For things like wrapping paper or decor and stuff, I usually hit up the dollar stores or thrift stores first. I'm trying to become more craft so once I get there I'm hoping I can get something at thrift store and upscale it into some fancy gift that someone in my family would want.

That, or I bake. I'm a pretty good baker so I like to go with homemade gifts on occasion.

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I book the flights, hotels and car parking separately to ensure I'm getting the lowest price for all three. Here in the UK, we have access to a great range of low-cost flights so it's often cheaper to holiday in Europe than it is to remain in my own country.

7. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I must admit I'd never really thought about a camper van option. I guess you get the freedom to go where you like.and choose to do what you want. Financially, it's probably really good. I'd just have to get used to having fewer of the trappings that I like :)

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our strategy for a cheap holiday is to wait for promo tickets offered by airlines. Our favorite airline Cebu Pacific occasionally offer cheap tickets for domestic and international flights. Last year we were able to buy tickets to 4 countries. This year we have tickets for 3 countries. As for the accommodation, we choose the expensive ones since we are on a holiday... to enjoy.

9. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I like to make a holiday timetable in advance, making the most of any kinds of activities that are free to do when I am over there. By that, I mean things like seeing sights of historical interest, going to beaches, or going for country walks. That way, I will not be as tempted when I arrive to spend a lot of money when there are so many cool things that I could be doing for free. With just a little bit of forward thinking, things can be a lot easier.

10. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    First off, try and book the holiday as quickly as you can. Last minute booking can increase prices drastically. Also, try and find a lesser known location. For example, if you're planning to go to Italy, avoid Rome and Venice. Try and find somewhere just as beautiful, but lesser known. That means less tourists, so less demand, so everything should be priced far less than they would be in the more popular tourist locations. Try to find a location with many things to do for free nearby. If you're trying to save a lot of money, set a budget. It'll motivate you to find the cheapest option in every possible respect.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always travel out of season and keep an eye on hotel specials because air fares always have sales. You need to know when they start to get the best seat prices. I have emails from the airlines I use most and I get sent details of seat specials.

I don't really take holidays, but travel, so I tend to pick places that are good value and off the beaten track. I also look for deals for long term stays as they can work out cheaper too.

12. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    You can really save a lot of money by booking your hotels and flights ahead of time. Thats the main way that I save money. The closer to the holidays, especially Christmas and New Years you get, the more its going to cost you. So just plan ahead and shop around online. There are good deals to find.