What to buy for VERY thick long hair?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by jaya • Sep 20, 2013.

1. jaya

jayaNew Member

Threads:
    I'm Italian and Portuguese, so I was blessed/cursed with very thick hair. A lot of hair.

When it's short it's fairly manageable. But I prefer it more like waist-length, and then it just gets out of control - lots of knots, sometimes a "rats nest" at the base of my neck, especially after sleeping, and just... fluffy.

I've never been really happy with flat iron results, A it takes a long time to flat iron that much hair and B because it's so thick it doesn't really get very flat. I also tend not to blow dry because sometimes that makes the fluffiness worse.

I'm willing to put product in it as long as it doesn't turn out looking greasy, but I'm also worried about having to use a TON of product on hair that long.

I can't be the only girl with this problem ... any shopping list recommendations for me to try? :D

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Have you considered braiding your hair after shampooing it, letting it air dry and then trying to flat iron? It should help with that process a little bit.

3. jaya

jayaNew Member

Threads:
    I never really considered that because it takes so long to dry. If I take a shower at night and braid it before going to bed, in the morning it will still be damp.

4. davidexct

davidexctNew Member

Threads:
    For thick and long hairs, you must shampoo and conditioner it every day and then dry it immediately after shampooing and conditioning it. You may apply raw eggs on your hair on weekends to get thick and shiny hairs as it repairs the damaged hairs. You must apply Aloe Vera gel in your hair regularly to make your hair stronger and fit for growing longer.

5. yellowbird

yellowbirdMember

Threads:
    Do you have wavier hair? Because my hair has ringlets in it (not so much in my avatar, but on an average day it does; I think I straightened my hair earlier that day a bit) and for the past 4 years I have opted for sulfate free shampoos and silicone free conditioners and it has absolutely made all the difference in my hair, really. Less frizz, more defined ringlets, and my hair has been much healthier and much more manageable since then. :)

I use L'oreal Sulfate Free Shampoo and just a tiny bit of Biolage after getting out of the shower to condition it.

6. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I would recommend to invest in a shampoo and conditioner system and Arran oil as well or any kind of oil for hair. I would try to keep my hair always fresh and shiny which is why I would recommend to just run in some oil and a leave in mask for your hair every now and then.
    It really makes a difference in the quality.

7. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I have similar hair and use Paul Mitchell products and have good results. I blow dry the top a bit, let the length air dry and finish off with the dryer. I embrace its wavyness and don't try to iron it as I think that is harmful to the hair.

8. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I have the same curse of the long and think hair I hated it for so long I would cut my hair but it didn't do much good since my hair grew back super fast. But I have found that olive oil for hair does amazing things for my hair. It takes away the frizzy it makes me hair smooth and shiny and when I put it in my hair and I brush my hair the tangles and knots brush right out :)

9. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard of using olive oil in the hair. I really don't know what else you can do. Do you want curls in your hair? They make hair relaxers that you can try. I have never tried them since my hair is pretty straight and thin.

10. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I have very thick long hair too. My problem is frizzy! I have never heard of putting raw egg on your hair. It helps? It works?

11. dazzlingblue

dazzlingblueMember

Threads:
    I absolutely love Aveda's Smooth Infusion line. It's a bit expensive, so I buy that line's conditioner and use it once a week or so. Just leave it in for a few minute before washing it out. There are several other Aveda products that I think really do help thick hair, so it might be worth a visit to their store to see if they could give you one of their nicely sized samples.

Argan oil (which can be found in the grocery store--beauty section) is another great item that can help both your hair and scalp. I bought the organix line one, and not only can you put it in your hair, you can put some in your bath!

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm italian and portuguese too!! But my hair is on the thinner side. i have lots of it, but individual they are very fine.
    The good thing about having thick hair is, aside from it being healthier and stronger, you can pull off adding more product to it! Try the Chi Silk Infusion! It's an oil that makes your hair very silky, and I find that makes my hair way more straight.

13. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    Have you tried Moroccanoil Moisture repair shampoo? It's not cheap at around $22 for 250 ml but it really will help you tame your hair(since you've tried flat ironing it I'm assuming it needs to be tamed). It helps repair hair and makes it smoother and silkier. Kerastase Bain Oleo Relax at 40 odd dollars is pricier but it does its job. Your hair won't look poofy and it treats hair damage well.

#13Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  14. avasmom

avasmomMember

Threads:
    My hair is super think too. People with regular and thin hair don't understand what a problem we have! I recently cut it quite short, but it still takes forever to dry and can be quite unmanageable, especially on damp days. I second the recommendation for Aveda products. If you have an Aveda salon nearby, do make an appointment with a consultant. Their products are expensive, but are worth every penny.

15. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I would suggest to go with any organic shampoo that you could find in any health shops or sometimes drug stores. The you can use some extra virgin coconut oil after you shampoo so your hair is conditioned. :)