What To Listen To When Exercising?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by 003 • Sep 14, 2015.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Audiobooks or songs? I have been running for years, and what primarily motivates me is the music that I listen to. Without music, I don't think that I'm actually able to finish whatever it is that I should finish, the run, its duration and even if its intensity. I have tried audiobooks, but that gets me really and so much bored. So even if I like listening to stories, even if I enjoy listening to audiobooks, I'd still opt for songs, for music over words without music.

2. watsadamen

watsadamenMember

Threads:
    When I exercise, I also prefer to listen to music rather than the radio. I haven't tried audio books but I doubt I would like it. I like listening to fast-paced songs. Fast beats makes you want to move at a fast pace rather than listening to songs with a slow tempo. I usually create my playlist beforehand and set slow songs in the start and beginning for cool down.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I actually tend to prefer silence when I exercise outdoors. Or maybe I’m just used to it. If I’m indoors, though, I do love me some upbeat music. I think audio books would take away too much of my focus if I was doing something medium-to-high intensity, but I could see listening to one during a leisurely walk.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As I had posted in another thread, there is a group of physical fitness buffs here in our village who engage in zumba. That is the new aerobics where there is loud dancing music and a dance instructor that guides us for the proper steps. The objective of zumba is to sweat it out without getting tired. And they are right because I could dance the zumba for more than 1 hour.

5. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    Ever heard of binaural beats? They play sounds of a certain frequency that are supposed to stimulate certain brainwaves to enhance performance in certain activity. I don't know how the solid the science is, but I will say that it works. They have playlists that focus specifically on exercising and will increase focus and performance.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It has been such a long time since I have listened to music whilst working out. I don't listen to music whilst I am cleaning the house either. I just don't feel like music can hold my attention enough to where I can focus? So I tend to listen to audiobooks when I am cleaning, or when I am working out. The more motivational the better.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love listening to music while I'm working out, especially fast, upbeat music. I can't work out without music, to be honest. I feel like music spurs me on and keeps me going, especially if it's cheerful, catchy music. It makes me feel good and pushes me to do more :)

8. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I'd have a hard time listening to audio-books on the treadmill, though it does sound convenient. I always listen to music. It's usually some kind of punk music, that's really fast, loud and angry. Sometimes I'll listen to more energetic rap as well. Depends on the day, but it's either one of those two.

9. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I do a bit of both. Usually I like to put on high-intensity music to ramp me up for my workout, especially if I'm engaged in something that requires a lot of effort - say, lifting weights - but some workouts are so repetitious and low-effort that I get bored with just music, in which case I switch on an audio book or podcast or whatnot. I'd say just have both on your MP3 player and swap as necessary. (Though it can be a pain finding your place again in an audio book if you jumped to music.)

10. AutumnFall

AutumnFallMember

Threads:
    Have you tried listening to instrumental music when exercising? I can see that really keeping someone more motivated and energetic, especially if it's upbeat. I think listening to audiobooks while exercising will get too distracting for someone. That person would be focusing more on what's happening in the story than on exercising.

11. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly! Mellow music slows me down and it has to be on a device for continuity. Recommended workout artists - Beastie Boys, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Fishbone and Jamiroquai.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:When I do aerobics I listen to the oldies radio station locally KKOL. They play a lot of music from the 70-90's and it's good to listen to for dancing and running in place that I do at home. It really keeps you going music that KKOL plays. Sometimes they'd play a slow song or a ballad and I just do other exercises like deep knee bends. With the rhythm of the songs I like to aerobicize. Music makes the time fly really quickly too.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh absolutely, I'd also fall asleep instead of working out if I listened to mellow music LOL Jamiroquai is an all time personal favourite of mine that I play on my mp3 player ALL the time. It's also on repeat hehe But I've never exercised to it, not sure why! So I'll definitely have to include it on my exercise playlist from hereon in :) I do agree that with music playing, the time just flies!

14. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    When I'm exercising I like to listen to music but on long drives with the family we'll listen to books on CD. They are a great way to travel. You forget track of time because you are caught up in the story. It's great for kids. It introduces them to new genres or great authors. I borrow the books on CD from the public library so it doesn't cost a thing.

15. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Of course song would be my first choice.

16. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    Music is so important during my workouts. The beats and melodies seem to help me move my body and relax into the movements. Audio books would be a distraction for me too. Plus, it seems the music helps me lose track of time and I look up and I have enjoyable completed my workout session.

17. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I am working out, I will usually enjoy either listening to some workout music that is up beat and motivating, or some kind of video that motivates me to work out more. It sounds silly, but this week I worked out watching Miss USA! It is not exactly Upbeat, but it got me motivated to look like that!

18. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Exercise with this :cool::

But in all seriousness, I think rock songs work best. I always listen to Fall Out Boy when I'm exercising. It really pumps up my blood.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When exercising, it's always good to listen to fast and upbeat songs, because they will make you feel pumped up and energetic. I don't think I can listen to slow songs while exercising, they will only make me move slower because of their beat.

20. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree completely, and I think that I will always be of this mindset. lower music is good for chilling, yes. But for working out, you sometimes need all the drive and encouragement that you can get lol. This is why I tease my mother, because she likes to listen to meditation music? She will play it in the car on the way to the gym, and I'm like, how are you performing well listening to that before going to the gym, mother? Lol.