What to pack?

Discussion in Travel started by Peninha • Jul 11, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When going on a trip, do you usually have an easy time deciding what to take or not really?

I mean, sure we need to take adequate clothes, medicines and so on, but what about food and other things, do you usually take them? Where do you draw the line, I'll take this to save money or I just go and enjoy myself?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I used to do lot's of traveling, I normally packed light. I'd have done some research about the climate of the place I was visiting and pack clothes that would be perfect for the weather I'd expect to content with. Six pairs of pants, six shirts and a thick wool coat did the job well enough. Otherwise apart from those and a few other basic necessities [personal hygiene items], I bought everything else in the places which I was visiting.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I travel a lot, and over the years my luggage has gradually become lighter. These days I only just pack the most necessary things. Even when going on a long distance trip, I just carry one suitcase with me. For me the most important thing is my laptop, closely followed by my camera and lenses. Clothes and toiletries are easy to come bye wherever I go.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's wise to pack lighter really, but if you're packing in family and you're the guy usually packing is made easier, at least my partner always wants to do the packing and I'm fine with it. :) I always take the minimum, I don't need many things, just good mood, money and some clothes, that's all it takes. With kids though we need to be careful not to forget some thing, especially medicines.

5. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    When I am going on a trip I really don't have a hard time deciding. It may be because I do not have a ton of clothes to begin with. However, I do spend an hour or two packing. It really depends on where I am going. If I am going to camp at the Ren. Fair I am packing jeans, 3 tops, extra intimates, and the basic toiletries. If I am going to see my step-children and in-laws, I obviously pack nicer clothes like skirts and blouses as well as make-up and what not. I tend to pack extra, mainly because of advice my mother gave me.

She always told us to pack extra everything because you never know what might happen. Which is true, accidents happen. There have been a few times I was super glad I listened to that advice or I would have been a bit upset.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I pack light, one outfit for each day that can mixed and matched with the other items to make another out fit. The necessary things like toothbrush and past, and these days you have make sure you have all of the necessary chargers for all of your devices.

If I forget something I will go shopping to pick it up.

7. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I usually pack as less as possible when travelling or when going for a trip. I always have the "trouble" of having my luggage full on the way back home so leaving a big space on it is very important as I don't intend to carry a second luggage later.

If I was going somewhere colder then I would pack extra clothes just in case.

8. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I take the basics stuff you mentioned like clothes, medications and etc. I also take my iPod and laptop. I don't really take food because I always stop somewhere on the road to eat or if I am staying in a motel for a night, I'll eat there. Honestly, I don't have a hard time when it comes to packing for a trip because I am only at the destination for 4 days at the most.

9. CraftsAndLooms

CraftsAndLoomsMember

Threads:
    I think what to pack depends on where you are going and for how long you are going. For instance, if you are going at a cold place, then winter ware will be a major part of your luggage or you will have to pack more cloths if you are going for a long time.

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    It depends a lot on the type of traveling you are doing.
    The constant thing to have in mind is to pack clothes appropriate to the weather that you will find, a jacket won't do you any good in the hot weather and it will take up a lot of room.
    Also if you are going camping or to some exotic location, you might want to pack food, either for the whole stay or until you get your bearings in the new place. I usually pack some entertainment as well, for the trip if I'm flying or going by train somewhere.

11. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    I only need to pack things once a year, and that's for a big convention. I make a list of all of the costumes I want to bring and their individual pieces, all the food I need to eat, the casual clothes, the entertainment items, and anything else. I usually start writing this list way before the convention. I actually have the list made out for this year already! I just get that excited. :)

12. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    that's always hard to decide, the only thing I can decide on for sure is the necessities, after that I'm always in a quandary. It's really hard to not just take everything you own with you, but that's expensive and impractical. Usually I have someone else pack with me to help me decide whether or not I should take something, otehr people can offer some pretty practical advice.

13. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When packing for the summer is fairly easy, some summer clothes, kid's stuff and laptop, that's it. If it's for the winter it's more tricky because in the winter we need to carry a lot more clothing and it's easy to become indecisive. I guess I am just day dreaming with the upcoming summer holidays in less than 3 weeks from now. :)

14. Billynlex

BillynlexNew Member

Threads:
    What I pack depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing. If I'm going to a large city or destination and plan on staying there the majority of the time, I'll pack a few bags to ensure I'm not missing anything. In these bags I will have heavier items and things I "am taking just in case I need it". If I'm planning on backpacking for an extended time, I'll take what I can fit comfortable into a 35L backpack and head on out. Inside of this backpack will be two changes of close, charging devices and road snacks.

Backpacking is a blast and really forces you to slim down what you're comfortable with taking. it might sound a little scarey but it's really nice to live on the edge and not worry about all this crap loading you down!

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is true Bill, where we are going and the season when we are going determines what we take. One of my best memories was when I went to the Dominican Republic, it was winter here in my country and summer there, so I went with winter clothes on and arrived in a tropical heat, really interesting experience. :)

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find packing a nightmare. I never know what to bring or what I'm bringing is enough. I'm not exactly in over packer, but I find that I always forget some stuff. I also always wish I had taken something that I didn't, while I always take a bunch of things I never use.

17. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Generally I bring as many as I can, without making me feel that exhausted by bringing them. It includes clothes, hygiene kit, first-aid kit, gadgets, and of course foods. I don't want to feel short whenever I would be needing any of the things that I always bring like food while I am on the way where there wouldn't be a store to buy food, something like this.

18. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am exactly the opposite 003, I travel the less I can, I just take the indispensable, I hate carrying stuff around, especially because I am the one carrying it haha. It makes me confuse to see people that take their pillow on a trip, why would they need a special pillow?

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I try to pack as little as I can because I hate having to lug around many bags when traveling. I usually just pack enough shirts and pants for each day that I'll be on vacation with maybe a few extra items. I don't bring soap and shampoo anymore because I can just get that at the hotel. The one thing I definitely bring with me is medicine though, because it's not that bulky anyway and it could potentially save me from a lot of stress when in a foreign city or country.

20. Joe In Belize

Joe In BelizeNew Member

Threads:
    It's always easiest to pack light, but it really depends on where you're going and for how long.

If you're doing an extended stay somewhere (3+ weeks), carry about a dozen outfits with you, and just wash what you wear while rotating through your clothes. When I travel for a week at a time, I normally carry 2 pairs of shorts, 3 t-shirts, a pair of pants, a button-down shirt, and boardshorts. I'll ask for laundry service one of the days out of the week, but hey... nothing wrong with recycling and wearing the same shorts throughout the week, especially while on vacation!

Oh, and I know it's "vacation", but I can't travel without my phone and laptop. So those go with me :)