What type of booked you really prefer?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Mama2three • Aug 21, 2012.

1. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    I love the idea of ebooks, of not needing space on our bookcase, and having all my books on one device that I can take anywhere. But honestly, there is something about holding an actual book in my hand. Also, now that ebooks are growing more and more popular, I am able to finding real books much cheaper. I needed a book recently, and it was $15 for the ebook, but only $4 shipped for a paper copy. I bought the copy, even though I'd like to have that book on my iPad instead. What do you think? Do you buy based on price or convenience?

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I have read a few books on e-readers, but I much prefer to turn the pages of a real book. There's just something so utterly relaxing about settling down with a book that technology simply cannot replicate. A book is a friend - an e-reader is merely a technological convenience.

3. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Majority of my books I purchase based on price. In the summer, I prefer to read classic fiction, but I'm not going to spend $15 on a book so I opt for cheaper classics. During the other nine months, I read non-fiction (politics, history, economics) and a lot of the books I plan to read over the next few months are relatively cheap, even cheaper than the ebook counterparts!

4. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of people love the ebooks. I have down loaded some. I like the hard cover books, I guess because I like turning the pages. Ebooks are easy to store, but I physically collect books and I love the library effect.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer a physical book. I love the feel of a book and the feel of turning pages. I prefer a soft paperback book that fits easily in my handbag. I have been slow to adopt Kindle books and to purchase an e-reader because I don't want physical books to die off.

6. Nakhash

NakhashMember

Threads:
    I love my Kindle and have well over a thousand titles, most of them (particularly the classics) were free. I also use booklending.com to borrow and lend ebooks. Since it's run by Amazon, there's not worries that my book won't be returned. There are some things I prefer in hard copy. I've found that the books I use for witchcraft are harder to work with in ebook form. It's faster and easier for bookmarking and leaving personal notes if it's available in hard copy.

I used to have a fairly large library of regular books. After I divorced, I had no place to put them and no access to a safe storage facility. There was also the cost of transporting them halfway across the country through the mail. My family gave me the Kindle for my birthday over a year ago because they knew how much I missed my books. I also love the ease of just dropping it in my purse when I'm headed to my doctor's office or any other place I know I'll have to wait.

7. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    I would prefer to have the hard copy most of the time. If it's something in the "how-to" genre then I would prefer an audiobook. That way when I get to parts I may consider boring to read, I am still able to maintain my focus. If it's in my favorite genres, then I always pick the hard copy. Price is usually a non-factor if I know I want the book (unless I'm short on cash).

8. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I kind of like ebooks right now because of the convenience. I can bring several books in just one device anywhere I go. Plus I can read at nights even if the lights are off. Although, I don't think that's going to do any good to my eyes. Plus I like the fact that I can just download the files on the internet anytime I want; I rarely have time to go to bookstores or the library because my hands are full with taking care of my child and managing the house.

9. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I'm old fashioned. I like to curl up with a book. For some reason reading from my nook for more than and hour or two hurts my eyes. I'm also a thrifty shopper so I definitely would buy based on price first. I'm a fan of hardcover/softcover books first over e books.

10. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    I think that I've posted this somewhere before, but to hold a book is to hold a child in your hand. That is something that an eBook cannot replicate.
    Books are mysterious and have their own power. This I know.