What Type Of Cat Litter Is Most Efficient In The Long Run?

Discussion in Pets started by cocolgooh • Mar 23, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy the cheaper clumping type cat litter but I found it not only made my breathing conditions worse but also seemed to be gone in no time. It was cheaper to buy that, but it just wasn't efficient in practice because I'd end up using so much of it. I switched to a wood pellet cat litter as an alternative and found that it helped not only my breathing conditions but it also worked out cheaper in the long run as a bag of that lasts me around 3-4 times as long as a bag of the cheaper clumping one used to last.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We use pellets here as well, but not branded for cats, because then they get away with a price hike. We get them at hardware stores etc, for a massive bag for maybe 6 bucks. Lasts forever and won't hurt the cats like all the litters do.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've tried the corn and wheat litters, but they ended up just being very expensive, as well as making a mess. I haven't seen the wood pellet ones, so I'll have to look around. I'm always interested in finding products that will work better for my kitties.

@JosieP@JosieP What are the pellets called where you are, how are they marketed? In other words, how would I seek them out, especially if I were looking other than in pet supplies? I'd definitely consider switching if I could find something that works and I can afford it. How heavy are the bags? That's another consideration I have, since I'm not able to carry/transport heavy items.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually just buy traditional clay cat litters as they are usually the cheapest, however, I won't buy the very cheapest brands, because my cat doesn't like them, and they cause a lot of dust. I just bought the DG brand of litter,,Everpet, I haven't tried it before and I am hoping it will be decent.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They're originally pellets for wood stoves, so if you live in a typically warmer area, you might have a harder time finding them. I have a hard time finding them in the summer, but when I do, I load up.

People started looking for alternatives for litter and the industry jumped on it lol. There are a lot of things you could use. Corn cob, salts and clays and shavings etc etc. Do a good google search and see what others are using. Litters are usually unhealthy for cats, as they can enter the urinary system or they'll ingest it while cleaning themselves, so it's better to find something more animal friendly (which, as a bonus, will be cheaper too) than litters made to make the human happier.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have only just got my first cat, and have tried a number of different types of cat litter with her. I think that we are going to stick with the wood pellet litter as you said because it is a lot cheaper, and also they sell it in more places near where I live, so it's much easier for me to be able to get hold of. I don't like the one that's dusty when she kicks it up, as it gets on my chest a little bit, and I have noticed that this one is much better indeed.

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard of the pellets, mainly in the past few years, with regard to the pellet stoves. I had no idea they could be used for cat litter. I'll have to look around. A lot of homes here don't even have heat, people will just use a space heater or two, so I might not be able to pick them up locally, but I'll look around online. I'll have to look into alternatives, as well, just to see what people are using and how the cats like the products.

@Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon I haven't used the old fashioned clay litters in a long time, but perhaps I should consider using that downstairs. I only have 1 small box up here for their convenience, and could probably keep using the scoopable up here, since I have trouble carrying heavy things up the stairs. It would be interesting to see which they preferred, and I would like to try the pellets, too.