What Type of Rose To Buy?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by ExpertAdvice • Sep 6, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Do you buy roses as gifts for a friend or loved one? For what reason? Is it based on the occasion? Say, Valentine's Day? that "special someone's" birthday? Do you buy flowers to wish someone a warm "Get Well Soon"?
    As you can see, there are so many possible reasons why you might choose to purchase a flower or two, or even a bouquet, but...in your flower-shopping journey, have you ever stopped to consider that the messages and meanings associated with certain colors of roses?

I'm gonna give you a brief set of examples of the prescribed meanings of some roses, based on their colors. Teleflora.com talks about the meanings associated with the colors of roses, and here are some, just for your edification:

RED - "LOVE" (romantic love, passion, but also respect and how love can be creative!)

WHITE - "PURITY"

PINK - "FEMININITY"

So, do you know the meanings associated with any other colors of roses? If so, share!

Also, why do you think a rose makes the perfect gift or not?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have only bought 1 red rose and it was for my late mom, it was Valentines Day and some people at school were selling roses. So I bought 1 for her. I was only 8 years old that time.

Nowadays, I have also read that red roses stand for romantic love while white roses stand for purity, but the meaning behind pink roses I haven't stumbled upon until I have read your thread.

3. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    When it comes to flowers of any kind I usually go with what the persons favorite color is. I think that's a safe bet and you know they will like it. :) If your going for a specif message, like something that pertains to the flower that your going to mention on the card, then stick to what the color means.

In my opinion, the fact that your giving the flowers means much more than what the actual flower or color may mean.

Everyone loves flowers!!!

Danyel :)

4. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really buy flowers very often to begin with, but when I do, I don't feel constricted to the supposed meanings- I just go with whatever the person likes the best. Or Rainbow roses, I'm very partial to those and usually if someone will enjoy getting flowers, they'll enjoy the rainbow roses in particular :).

5. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Although I like flowers, I prefer them in pots. I don't like cut flowers that are beautifully wrapped in bunches. :(

I also don't like getting flowers as a gift so naturally I don't like giving them as a gift either. I only buy them to give as gifts/tokens during funerals/wakes or when visiting a love one who already passed away. So to answer the question.. I don't consider a rose or any flower as a perfect gift except in mentioned instances.

However, I do like flower-like decors like in cakes or in art form. :)

6. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Sorry to hear that you lost your mom at such a young age friend. Really do love and appreciate the thought that was behind your gesture of buying that rose, and remember that these are merely "guidelines" and definitely not "set in stone", so I'm sure that the meanings of these roses can more or less change according to the season, if you get what I mean?
    I'm glad that the thread was informative for you, and I"ll endeavour to continue looking for interesting info like this to post.
    I really do love roses, and I love getting them for my wife, although she's not "the fussy type" when it comes on to these things. She'd actually much rather me snuggling on the sofa with her after work, or enjoying a good meal with her, or even reading a favorite book with her.
    It's "the simple things in life" that she enjoys, and that's what sparks in her for me! I find it so ingenious! And selfless at the same time!
    Roses are beautiful, and I find the different colors to be interestingly wonderful, just wonderful variety that the Creator has filled our beautiful world with! It's great to be able to be a part of witnessing this beauty, and being able to share it with others.
    Continue to be strong, and allow yourself to truly be a blessing to each person with whom you get the chance to interact. You never know who's heart you may be able to change for the good.
    Thanks for your feedback!

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I do not like receiving flowers as gifts. They wilt and die. Why not give something that will last for a long time?