What was your favorite book in your childhood, and why?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Dora M • Jan 7, 2015.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid, I had a book that I absolutely adored. My grandmother gave it to me on my birthday. It's called "The three Stanislauses". It's about three brothers who are all called Stanislaus, and their adventures. The illustrations in that book are absolutely stunning. I could lose myself in every detail. In the high grass, in the moonlight, in the shadows of the trees. Even to this day, almost thirty years later since I received thatmagical book, I can still recall every detail in it.
    What book did you enjoy most when you were a child?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite book as a child was, 'The Giving Tree' by Shel Silverstein. It was first written in 1964 and apparently went under some controversy as to whether or not it was a positive or negative message for children. The story follows a small boy and his relationship with a very generous tree as he grows up. The tree gives him everything throughout the course of his life - all the way to his old manhood and the tree is happy. But some felt the story was too sad as the little boy strips the tree of everything it has. I received the book when I was 5 years old from a friend of my moms. I remember where I was when she handed it to me. It touched me in a very deep way but I feel it was in a positive one. There is more happiness in a life of service than there is in a life of selfish pursuits. I think both the sadness and the happiness are a lesson to be learned because we can take much in this world but the happiest people are the ones that give generously. Children seem to either be taught to have a selfish or generous nature and I think this book can help begin to think about those choices they make that will effect them throughout their life even at a young age.

3. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    George's Marvelous Medicine by Roald Dahl. Our teacher loved reading it to us during break, and it has become one of my favourite books in my childhood. I honestly thought that if I mix enough random chemicals together, maybe I will end up with something that can make things extremely big, and I will be rich forever. Of course, as I grew up, I realized that was obviously impossible. But, the childhood charm is still there, and it's a great book to revisit when I'm feeling down. This goes for pretty much all of Roald Dahl's works for children.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh wow I must be old; I can't seem to remember the titles but I was definitely mad into Roald Dahl books. I am an avid reader and started very young. While other children were playing house, my dad would take me to the library and I would be like a child in a sweet shop. My other favourites were Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I also went on to really enjoy the movies :)

5. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I would never see myself as into fantasy as such but this book really captivated me. I ended up reading the whole series but this is the one that really took me into another world. It's just a shame that the movie didn't work out as well for me.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mine wasn't one book. It was a series of books. The Griffin Pirate Stories [anyone from the UK here?] were my favorite books. I loved Ben The Blue pirate best. At that time I even entertained the thought that when I grew up I'd be just like Ben the blue Pirate. Good old days full of idiotic aspirations when the imagination blended fantasy with reality . . . being a pirate!

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are so many books, but my favorites were the Ladybird books and 'The Elves and Shoemaker' and 'The Magic Porridge Pot,' were my books that I would read over and over and never tired of them. I have fond memories of the books and the pictures in them and they always had a happy ending.

8. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite author as a child was Bruce Coville. I loved his Magic Shop books the most but just about anything I could get my hands on of his, I loved.

I was a big fantasy/sci fi fan even back then. They got too easy too quickly though.

My other favorite author back then was Jane Yolen. I especially loved her short stories and poems in the "Here there be..." books. I can still recite some of those poems like "The Making of Dragons" from memory.

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I believe my favorite book was Chicken Soup with Rice. It was the first book I learned how to read apparently. I think it was because the rhymes really flowed and it was an easy to understand story. I liked going through the different months.

10. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, gosh, there were so many. Probably my very favorites, though, were the Walter Farley Black Stallion books just because I was (still am) absolutely horse crazy. Then probably the Trixie Belden books followed by all the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books. I guess I liked mysteries pretty well, too; and not just books about horses. The horses always came first, though.

11. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I had two most liked books when I was a child, the first being "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" and "Where the Wild Things Are." I like these two books because both had very intriguing and imaginative images along with interesting stories. I remember day-dreaming about falling giant hamburgers falling [but slowly] from the sky, which me and my class friends would all rush outside and eat as much as we could, then fell asleep on the giant bread buns. As for "Where the Wild Things Are," I used to imagine I was the boy in the furry suit and that I had ventured off into a land far from any other humans where I met the very creatures in the book! Almost forgot, I also like this book very much too: Where's Waldo?

12. Beautyspin

BeautyspinMember

Threads:
    I have started with an illustrated monthly in my local language but that does not count here, I suppose. I used to Arthur Hailey's airport very much. For long I felt that he was the best author and I used to compare all authors against him. He did meticulous research for all his books. He was a rage in India at that time. In this internet age, I think it is easy to do research so you might find all authors doing research now but in that age, it had to be physical research, meeting people, reading books and so on.

13. selina

selinaMember

Threads:
    My grandmother read horror story books for me at sleeping time because I was so naughty in my childhood and that's why my grand mother control me with such stories. I don't know whether those books are my favourite or not but I am definitely missing those days as well as horror story books.

14. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I was a big fan of all of the Dr.Seuss books. My favorites were The Cat In The Hat and Green Egg and Ham. I remember when I was in elementary school I would always take out one of these books from the library. I really loved how colorful Dr. Seuss books were. They had this ability to brighten up most of my days.

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was an early reader, I absolutely loved it. The first real books that come to mind are The Hobbit and the Narnia series. I also loved some books my grandmother had from the late 1800s early 1900s. Old fairy tales... which were pretty scary haha. But the art work in these books were stunning.. they had me in lala land for hours at a time. She had books about mysteries too.. not crime, but unsolved mysteries of the earth and humans etc. Many of them are solved, now that I think of it, I should take a peek again. Her encyclopedias too haha! I've always been obsessed with learning.

16. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I usually read Harry Potter book in my childhood and I think they are quite the best. For once also I do not regret reading those books. They have always been my favourite book.