What was your favorite film of the summer? (2014)

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by H.C. Heartland • Aug 22, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    This summer my film of choice and one of the only ones I paid full price for was Guardians of the Galaxy. The lead character Peter Quill (actor Chris Pratt from Parks and Rec 40 pounds lighter), steals an 'orb' and is being chased throughout the galaxy. He teams together with some other ruffians to fight a villain that seems to be a combination of several standard villains. Peter is a hero with an Achilles heel: despite living in future space, he keeps his old Walkman headphones with him at all times and panics if anyone takes it. Throughout the film there is an AWESOME soundtrack of oldies music that keeps things humorous and light despite the intense action scenes. So, that's my movie pick for the summer of 2014. What about yours? Feel free to disagree with me on my review. :cool:

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It has to be Guardians of The Galaxy. It's probably the best movie released this summer and from what it made in the theaters I believe that most people endorsed it by getting into the theaters to watch it. But since I'm an animation fan, I'd say How Train Your Dragon 2, was just as good. It had everything that made the first movie great.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd agree with Guardians. That film was fantastic, and I'm big on the financial side of movie releases. Everything about that movie from a financial standpoint was incredible. Analysts and critics considered Guardians a risky film because few moviegoers knew in-depth about the characters, the film cost a lot to make, and other things were working against it. Upon release, though, everyone realized that Marvel had another hit on its hands, and it's quite possibly going to become the highest-grossing non-sequel in the Marvel Cinematic Universe that's not called The Avengers.

4. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    I would have to agree with the commenters above. Guardians of the Galaxy was simply the best among the summer movies. To be honest, I'm really not into superhero movies but I genuinely enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy. The casting was fantastic. I'm a huge fan of Chris Pratt mostly due to his comedy work on television. So I got very excited when it was first announced that he will be the leading man in Guardians of the Galaxy. Needless to say, he didn't disappoint and played his character very well. The film was just awesome.

5. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    You did an awesome review! I didn't get a chance to watch The Guardians, but based on your review, as well as the raving comments from several other persons, I would definitely have to say that I'm interested in watching perhaps the DVD or whichever other version of it comes out quicker, after the box-office sales have kinda tempered!
    I, personally, can't say that I got my "Summer Movie Fix" in the theaters this year, and I was really looking forward to it, because, like everyone else here, I love movies like food!
    Now, of the movies that I DID get to see, I have an ultimate BEST and an ultimate WORST.
    I'd have to give the number-one spot to this year's installation into the X-MEN franchise (X-Men Days Of Future Past). This well-awaited sequel featured "the usual suspects", including Cerebro/Professor Charles Xavier (Patrick Stewart), Storm (Halle Berry), and good ole Wolverine (Hugh Jackman), but the beauty that was epitomized by this movie was the integration of new characters, such as Bishop (Omar Sy), Quicksilver/Peter (Evan Peters), and Blink (Bingbing Fan).
    As the title implies, Days of Future Past flung us, the audience, right into the past, flashing Wolverine in particular, back to a time where a present destruction and curse could still be stopped, all with the mission of getting the central X-Men characters to partner with him in re-setting their fate, but the trick is convincing them to do it, and also getting them not to turn against each other.
    My "worst film of summer" was definitely Godzilla, and I'm not bashing those who loved it! I just feel that the plot was a bit lackluster, though I applaud the effort to remain in keeping with much of the workings and developments of the original "Godzilla" franchise. For me, I think the effects could have been much grander, and that the plot could have been more intriguing. It could've also been boosted by a stronger cast of actors, although Bryan Cranston gave the most dignified and exemplary showing as any excellent actor would've, given the circumstances.