What was your last home renovation project?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by troutski • Sep 1, 2014.

1. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It doesn't have to be something large, but what was your last home renovation project? Perhaps you painted your cabinets or redid an entire room. You could have furnished a room with all new furniture and whatnot. Either way, what was your project? How difficult was it? How long did it take? It's always fun modifying your home and changing things around after all.

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    The last 'renovation project' was to paint all the doors in my flat. I had no idea how to paint but after watching a few Youtube videos and choosing the right paint and brushes I became quite good at it! The paint dried with no visible lines or imperfections and I'm really proud of the results. The only annoying part is that until the paint dried my whole house smelled quite bad. Paint vapors are unhealthy and have as side effects for prolonged exposure headaches and dizziness. Good thing I painted in the summer, all the windows were constantly opened.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    We refurbished out outdoor picnic table. We had to replace the top piece of wood. This led to other wood projects in the house. Our house has a half wall of wood all the way around the living room area. The wood was beginning to pull back from the wall and we were beginning to have an ant problem. We went around and caulked all the gapes around the wood and now we have not had any ants in months. We then worked on some of the mold in our kitchen by scrubbing the painted concrete walls with bleach water, using a de-humidifier to pull out as much moisture as possible, then when we were sure it was dry, we re-painted. So far the mold has not come back and we are planning on doing it in some other areas of our home that are having similar problems.

4. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    We transformed our second floor porch into a home office and airbrushing workshop for my husband. It's a semi-open porch with full roofing. This move brought down our electricity cost since we're outside and not needing any airconditioning or even a fan. Ambient light is ample and we both switched to using laptops so we can take it back inside at night.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Our last home renovation project was repainting and replacing the roof. The metal roof sheets of our home are already damaged and rain seeps through especially there's a downpour. We had all the sheets replaced and painted it to make sure that they will last for a long time.

6. Irek

IrekNew Member

Threads:
    This is my kitchen project

I haven't turned it into reality yet. I used special web app for kitchen constructing. Its demo appeared to be free. I've just completed planning it some days ago, but I can't wait to start remodeling.
    My old kitchen was too loaded with furniture which I didn't like by the way.
    So I decided to renovate the room completely starting with kitchen cabinets to the backsplash.
    Looking forward to your comments!

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We had our kitchen extended and an extra room for storage was constructed in 2009. It was an ordeal because the contractor, whom we knew, did not deliver the promised work on time. Worse, there was a clear sign of scam when she was asking for another tranche of payment when the work done was just 10% - we gave her 50% of the budget. That was a neat lesson to us, not to trust people so much.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The last major home renovation that was done in this house was last 2009 when all the roof and ceilings were replaced and our kitchen sink was extended. After that, there were a bunch of minor renovations too that was done.