What Ways Do You Save On Cleaning Furniture?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by MrsJones • Mar 22, 2016.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I'm looking for ways to clean my sofa that would fit my budget...and gets good results. The material looks like suede but it isn't. I don't mind working with a little elbow grease but not enough to irritate my bursitis. I have considered those spray and vacuum cleaners, has any one used this, how were the results?

What is your preference when it comes to cleaning your furniture and how do you save?

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, when it comes to saving on cleaning furniture, I have found that it is best not to buy a different polish for each different surface - that it is best to just get a quality all in one surface cleaner, and be done with it. The same can be said for materials. There are certain Vanish products that will help get stains out of all materials, or most materials, without you having to buy all these different products for different materials.

3. Tina122321

Tina122321Member

Threads:
    My mom and I went in on a steam cleaner in order to save money. We share it since neither one of us needs it very often. You put hot water in it with cleaner. She buys the stream cleaner solution where as I just use hydrogen peroxide and vinegar. My way is cheaper and I also don't have to use any unnatural chemicals that might make me sick. I am very susceptible to headaches and such. You use the machine to spray the material and then you suck it up with the vacuum arm. It collects all the dirty water and then you dump the water out when your done. If you can go in on one with someone else you can both save money. Our even ask around to see if someone had one you can borrow. I have loaned mine out several times.

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I would say steam cleaner, but it sounds like that might mess up the suede material. Have you tried a microfiber cloth or something that would attract dirt? That might just pull all of the dirt off of the surface for now.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    This is a great idea to use microfiber cloth. It will definitely save me money and I can just treat a small area. Thank you for your response.

I had to look online about this product because I always thought of Vanish as a toilet bowl cleaner. To my surprise there were some fabric cleaners listed on the website. I am afraid though that it would be too harsh on the fabric that I want to clean. I'll have to actually check it out. Thank you for your response.

#5Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2016
  6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are welcome. Vanish are not to the only brand who do these types of varied products, for different purposes. This may not be a good thing, but Vanish is not too powerful of a product, so it may just be ok to use on the surfaces or material that you are looking to use it on. At least, over here in the UK, Vanish products are not that strong unless you apply a lot to the area.

7. homebrand_90

homebrand_90New Member

Threads:
    I am so called a lazy person for being a bed person. So, rather of using any cleaners I just wet any cloth and scrub the furniture and it become looks clean.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    If you look at a lot of bottles of various cleaners, you will almost certainly see that they have pretty much the same ingredients - so I will check whether this is the case and I will then use them for the various surfaces without buying different types of cleaners. This is something that has worked well for me in the past, and it does definitely save me money in the long term.