What Were Some Of Your Favorite Old School Games? (Genesis, SNES, Arcade, etc.)

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by ohiotom76 • Sep 21, 2012.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been on an Emulator/ROM kick lately, playing a lot of old Genesis games I used to love. Two of my favorites were shooters, M.U.S.H.A. and it's Sega CD sequel Robo Aleste. I used to be really good at these, but I've been getting my butt kicked in them this time around. I forgot how freaking tough these two games were. These might be the two most difficult shooters on Genesis period.

2. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Man, I have so many oldschool game I love! Sonic The Hedgehog, Contra, the Final Fantasy series.. however, I love the fighting games the most. :) The CPS2/CPS3 games (Street Fighter 2/Alpha/3, Darkstalkers series, Marvel vs Capcom, X-Men vs Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes..) and the NEOGEO (King of Fighters, World Heroes, Garou, Final Fight, Art of Fighting..) are some of my favorites!

3. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    NES mario and zelda! They were the greatest.
    I still have my old nes, but it will probably explode at any given moment, so I prefer emus now.

4. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Mortal Kombat II, Vectorman, Eternal Champions, etc - for the Genesis. On the Super NES, I have way too many to name, but here are a few: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Touble Trouble, Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, etc.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Man, Eternal Champions.. I remember that game. :) It looked terribly outdated even back then, and the mechanics were just weird, but somehow, people are STILL playing it competitively even today.. :D

6. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid, I really enjoyed Nintendo. In high school, a friend of mine got an emulator and we were able to play all the oldies. I also enjoyed Sega Genesis. Ah, it brings back the days of those cloudy Saturdays, chilly weather and my sandwiches playing NBA or NHL games!

7. Mikered25

Mikered25Member

Threads:
    I like the Genesis system in my room that I still have. I have the Sonic the Hedgehog game from back in the 1990's with the analog controller that shakes up when you get hit. I have the dreamcast also but I broke it and now the sound does not work on its own. I now have the xbox 360 and I have the Final Fantasy game now. I'm really digging the game right now, although I am still learning the game and I am getting better.

8. ohiotom76

Threads:
    The graphics were well drawn in it, but the colors were super grainy due to the limited color palate on Genesis. I hated when they would try and blend colors by using that dotted effect, it was an eye sore. I agree, the game play wasn't as smooth and responsive as others such as Mortal Kombat.

9. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Boxing, and Mortal Kombat. So bright colors and violence were my thing I guess?

10. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Is Final Fantasy 1 and 2 considered old school? Those were the ones that I was able to play with my Ps One and if it weren't for those two classics then I wouldn't be able to enter the wonderful world of RPGs. I was really hooked with RPGs after that and I can proudly say that my childhood was an amazing experience because of old school games.

11. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Ok, you just know you are totally getting old, when you read the title of this thread, and think Ms Pacman.... LMAO

12. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well it generally looked bad - the animation was pretty.. average at best as well. And it all just kind of looked off, I can't really pinpoint why, though.. By the way, didn't it also get a Sega CD version?

13. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid I played Mario Brothers on Nintendo 64 and Super Nintendo. I'm dating myself way back here. :cool: I feel like Super Mario Bros. is dinosaur games as compared to X Box and Playstation nowadays.

14. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Sonic and Mario will always be everybody's top favorite, it brings back memories just thinking about it. Let's not forget pacman.

15. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was actually never big on Pac-Man. I definitely recognize the huge impact it had on the whole videogames market, but personally, I didn't find it all that fun..

16. ohiotom76

Threads:
    Hehheh, or "Pong". Or if you're favorite games were on your Colecovision.

17. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    Star fox, Mario, Aliens... :( good times. Never got into zelda though :/

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite old school games were Streetfighter, Mortal Kombat, Pokemon, and the Brick Game gaming console. Oldies but goodies. Well, except for the brick game, they seem boring now compared to the games that we currently play.

19. Cyclone3616

Cyclone3616Member

Threads:
    Well I wasn't really around for those kind of games but my brothers were. We still have games like sonic one, two and three, and games like Mario and Zelda for Nes/Snes. Those games were the best and a joy to play, and to see that something like Super Mario Brothers can evolve into the games we all play today, blows my mind. It also amazes me that these games are still fun to play after all of these years.

20. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Mario on the original NES is still one of my absolute favorites.

The other Mario variations ranked pretty high for me, too, including Yoshi's Cookie and Dr. Mario as spinoff puzzle-type games.

For arcade or Atari ones, I'm gonna go with QBert and Pacman.