What will help with wifi range for my laptop?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Servace • Nov 12, 2014.

1. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    My laptop is only receiving 3 sometimes but it drops to 2 bars or Disconnects. I cannot move close to the router since it is located on the other side of The House and I need to be in my room to focus for studying. I also tutor online for a part time job, so I do not want to keep drop calling.

I heard stuff about a wifi repeater and a wifi wireless usb adapter. But i don't know much about them. I am looking to purchase one on eBay or Amazon.

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can get a $17 to $40 Wi-Fi repeater/bridge to strengthen your Internet connection. Some routers come with the Wireless bridge functionality, if you have a spare router lying around. You basically stick the repeater half-way between the router and your current location of use. Some repeaters will expand the range by 50 to 150 feet from the REPEATER on top of whatever the current router outputs as far as range is concerned. You will lose a little bit of speed because the signal is split an additional time, but this isn't noticeable on even decent connections.

You don't need to spend a fortune on a repeater, though. Just remember that.

3. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    Will a usb wifi adapter help at all also? I am trying to best and cheapest way. I know i can get a repeater online for like 15 dollars.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would consider USB adapters a slight step below the repeaters, mainly because you have to have the adapter plugged into your computer. I don't recall if they broadcast the signal from the USB adapter or just give the one connected device a connection, though.

If you're fine with having it always plugged into your laptop, then it's a fine option that can save you a few bucks. I can't overstate the importance of looking at the reviews, though. Never buy a $10 USB adapter because you'll get burned each time. $20 and above seems to be the point where you'll get a repeater or USB adapter that does the job. (It might lack bells and whistles, but you'll get mostly consistent, positive results.)