What's the best breed of dog?

Discussion in Pets started by xcmiller93x • Apr 29, 2012.

1. xcmiller93x

xcmiller93xActive Member

Threads:
    In your opinion, what is the best breed of dog? I love westies.

west_highland_white_terrier_6.

They're soo cute.

2. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    I guess that depends on what you want the dog for. My German shepherd is the best dog I've ever had, but the breed wouldn't suit someone who was away all day or lived in an apartment. German shepherds are loyal, super-intelligent, and protective of their families and property. Mine is also awesome with my kids - they can lay all over him and he doesn't mind a bit.

3. Some1else0

Some1else0Member

Threads:
    I love my Yorkie.
    He is about 9 months old, and he won't get much bigger than what he currently is.
    He's very playful, and very energetic. He loves to jump, a lot!
    He climbed and jumped off and over one of my chairs just to get a treat, haha.

4. masteraljon

masteraljonMember

Threads:
    yah i agree, it depend on your needs, we need a guard dog for our house, so we need a dog that looks strong, and dangerous, :') so we bought a bulldog.

5. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Choosing a dog has a lot to do with your own temperament and what you expect the dog to do. I

f you are a homebody and you just want a companion dog, then consider some of the docile breeds like the Shih Tzu. A Shih Tzu can actually sit on a chair for hours and not bother you.

If you are the athletic type and you want a dog that can be part company and part bodyguard when you do your morning runs, then I would recommend a Doberman. The Doberman is bred specifically to be a personal bodyguard. One word of caution, though. Get a Doberman only if you are living alone because a Doberman only recognises one owner and views everyone else, including your family members if you have any, as potential threats to your safety. Needless to say, it's very dangerous if you have a big Doberman that considers your small children as potential threats.

Just for the fun of it, you can try this site to see what breed would suit you best:

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Hienz 57's! That is what we call a mixed breed dog. Some of the best dogs I have had here mixed. We have an older basset hound right now and we love him very much. He is a good fit for us because we are older and have slowed down alot. He is the perfect fit for us!

7. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I love my little dalmatian! She just gets too anxious sometimes, that's normal in dalmatians. Golden retrievers are the cutest little things!

8. Zamora91

Zamora91Member

Threads:
    I was raised around rottweilers so I most definitely love them. They're intelligent and loyal. They are very ferocious guard dogs but also very friendly. So just don't break into a house with a rottweiler sitting around the property. It will do some damage. They're friendly to family friends, so as long as you greet the dog with one of the owners, the dog will be super friendly and playable with you.

9. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    Never really owned a dog.

I would think that Golden Retrievers are an awesome breed of dog. A pet that you can play around with outside in the park and is great with the family.

I think the best breeds of dogs are always the ones that are intelligent. If a dog is intelligent, you will have more fun with it. You will be able to teach it tricks and it will adapt to it's surroundings.

10. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    I'm glad I am not the only one that likes rottweilers! They are the coolest looking dogs and they can protect you if need be. When someone sees a rottweiler they instantly will be terrified. I like them for their playful side as well. I have never actually owned a rottweiler or any dog but I love the rottweiler that my friend has. I definitely don't have the space or money to be able to afford a rottweiler but maybe one day in my future :(

11. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    For me the best breed is the English Mastiff. These are gentle giants who lay around and sleep all day. However, if someone is trying to break into your home you do not have to be concerned about them getting through a dog who commonly out weighs the criminal trying to break in. I mean which breed of dog can break a human femur bone in just one snap?

12. Marco

MarcoNew Member

Threads:
    I like the German Shepard. They are the best for me. Faithful and strong. Also I like the dalmatians too but they are rarely any good breeder in my city.
    Maybe I will get one later. So far I am happy with the Shepard.

13. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    Pitbull, without a doubt. My fiance and I always joke, "once you go pitbull, you don't go back." And it's so true for me. Granted, they're not for most people and you have no idea how many folks I've talked out of getting a pitbull. On the flip-side, I have never had a more loving.

14. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I do not have a special breed of dog that I prefer. I just love all animals, and if one lands up at the door looking for food and love: we keep them! My first dog was a German Shepherd, so I have a special spot for them. But generally, I do not have a specific breed of dog that I prefer.

15. Jailynnsgrandma

JailynnsgrandmaMember

Threads:
    My favorites are Shih Tzu and Pitball. I have both right now and think they are both great breeds. My Shih Tzu is sweet and cuddly, but the two big ones are loveable too. One of my pitbulls actually sits on my lap more than my little one does.

16. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I have a Caucasian (no that isn't a typo or a really bad joke). Caucasians are big adorable lugs that will love and protect you until you (or more likely they) die. That said they will maul the crap out of just about anything that isn't you. They have a mouth full of teeth and they are just crazy aggressive to perceived threats. I would not advise this as a family pet or for someone living in a busy neighborhood. This is a working dog and it can become a bit spastic if left on it's own. That said it is not the best breed. I really doubt there is a best breed.

17. vidasandi

vidasandiNew Member

Threads:
    According to me , the best breed is the German Shepard . It not only looks like a real dog (very royal and majestic) , it is also very protective and surprisingly understanding as well. I have a German Shepard at home and we've named him Spike.Before getting him, I did not like dogs, but now I can't think of staying without one. They shower unconditional love which is amazing(this goes for all the breeds)

18. GGGuardian

GGGuardianMember

Threads:
    I think German Sheppard's are the best! There super loyal and smart. Truly mans best friend.

19. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if there is a best breed of dog, but I love German Shepards. My very first pet was a German Shepard and I was just crazy about her. My mom gave her away and I cried myself to sleep for more than a month. Whenever I see a German Shepard, my heart just melts.

20. Wheely

WheelyNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer the larger breeds myself. My parents have a two-year-old chocolate lab. It's like having an 80-pound three-year-old. If you're willing to live with some OCD-like behavior in regards to retrieving, you'll never have a dog more friendly, playful, and loyal.