What's the best collage dorm room food?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by illusion • Oct 28, 2013.

1. illusion

illusionMember

Threads:
    I used to make mac and cheese in the microwave. It usually took about 10 minutes of microwaving the pasta in water before it was done, but it does work. If I was in the right mood, I'd add tuna fish. Not something my wife ever liked, but I love it. It's not much different from tuna fish casserole. What are some of your favorite dorm room dishes.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do canned goods count? When I had to live in a dorm, that's all I ate. Corned beef, canned tuna, hotdogs, luncheon meat, etc. since I don't know how to cook.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite dorm room food was delivered pizza. I stayed in campus housing when I was in college. Housing came with a meal plan. I only had snacks in my room. I had a little refrigerator in my room to keep my sodas and leftover pizza cold. My eating habit went downhill went I went to college.

4. illusion

illusionMember

Threads:
    Oh, yeah, I had the same problem. My wife has tried to expand my horizons beyond pasta and pizza, since college :)

5. hbmm

hbmmMember

Threads:
    I would say noodles!:) and eggs, you can make loads from noodles and eggs. breakfast, lunch and dinner. haha, not very nutritious but cheap and tasty :p

6. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    What about ramen noodles? PB&J? chips, pretzels, anything you can grab and eat. Trail mix would be good.

7. illusion

illusionMember

Threads:
    I don't think there's any healthy dorm room food, but that's why most colleges have a gym, right?

8. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I was pretty resourceful in my dorm room. I got a George Foreman and could cook nearly anything on there. They weren't allowed, but i just opened the window and vented it out. No one ever knew.

9. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mac and cheese cooked in a microwave is VERY bad for your body and it will make you FAT. No wonder so many college students are obese and bordering on diabetic if that's an example of what they are eating, and I think it is. You can still prepare healthy food in a college dorm, you just need to use your initiative.

10. illusion

illusionMember

Threads:
    Have you heard about all the missing Nutella from college cafeterias? I turns out all the students were grabbing the jars and taking them back to their dorms. Colleges were saying that they were out over $100,000 and would have to raise tuition to cover the cost. I don't think 18 year olds are thinking too much about their health. What would be some good healthy dorm room foods?

11. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Noodles, Mac and Cheese, frozen nuggets. Basically, extremely unhealthy food! Our cafeteria was only open at certain times of the day and we weren't allowed cars as Freshman. This made it near impossible to go get food after the cafeteria closed so we had to resort to food that could be cooked in a microwave

12. Loyal

LoyalBanned

Threads:
    Sandwiches! as simple as that. Cupnoodles too!

13. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    Sandwhichs and noodles are hands down the best dorm room food.

14. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's as simple and unhealthy as that! Cup noodles are not real food and wheat is very bad for you. This kind of food will not supply you with the energy your brain needs to study with optimal concentration. There are healthier options like meat, boiled eggs, vegetables, fruits, coconuts etc, real food!

15. CoachV

CoachVNew Member

Threads:
    Mac n Cheese and Top Ramaen are my go to choices for meals. Snacks I turn to Oreos and Cheezits! Oh the good OL' days of dorm food... I miss college :(

16. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I suppose Nutella is a healthier option in comparison to Ramen and mac/cheese. However, that is a crazy amount to be stealing. Either everyone caught wind of how easy it was or one person has quite a problem.

Healthy options rely on what you have to work with insofar as cooking apparatuses. If it is only a microwave: steamed vegetables. They package them in a foolproof way where all it takes it putting the bag in the electro-box and pressing numbers. Mixing some canned beans into that and throwing it on a whole wheat tortilla sounds good to me.

17. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I used to do this! My roomie thought it was weird until she tried it herself. I also would take a can of tuna, add cream of mushroom soup, and put it on toast. I called it tuna junk. Looks terrible but tastes good!

18. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    The question was about dorm room food. You don't cook vegetables and meat in your dorm room. So, yeah your healthier options aren't what the thread was asking for.

19. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    The last couple years I have been noticing the vacuum sealed no refrigeration meals by companies like Hormel. I think they are called "Compleats" but they are pot roast gravy, chicken dishes that need no refriegeration and can be microwaved. I also just saw that Boar's head (the meat company) has the same thing with fully cooked bacon, again, no refrigeration and can make in the microwave. I just had some sent to me to try...the bacon was perfect. I have mentioned two brands but there are more doing this. I sort of thought of it as "space" food at first, but the Hormel ones are really tasty.