What's the best thing that's happen to you while travelling

Discussion in Travel started by brian101 • Mar 1, 2014.

1. brian101

brian101New Member

Threads:
    A similar but not so similar thread of what's the worst thing that could happen while travelling but with a positive spin. I'm planning to go travelling later in the year and can't wait to have a little bit of adventure as I haven't been before. I would love to hear any stories regarding travelling whether their funny mishaps, a happy ending or something totally unexpected, I would love to hear them

#1Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To me the best thing that has happened to me when I travel is making new friends! I have done two trips all by myself - one to the UK and one to Los Angeles - and those were my absolute favorite trips! I think the nicest surprise I had with both of them was how easily I made new friends and how great it was to get to know the places with them instead of someone I already knew. Meeting new people and experiencing the new place with them brings a whole new freshness to the trip, it's such a great experience!

3. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    The best thing that happened to me was finding my husband. I was travelling throughout England, and met him on the second day. I missed my flight home to Canada in order to stay longer; I wasn't ready to leave him yet. When I came down from the clouds, I returned home three weeks later. He came to Canada in April for my birthday, moved here in May and we were married in October. It was an amazing feeling, sometimes you have to fly around the world to find love. We were living in England for five months last year, and it was an amazing experience.

4. emilyrose93

emilyrose93Member

Threads:
    I do have a fun story! I went to Tokyo in 2009 with my dad. I had always wanted to go to Japan so I was sooo excited. On our very last night we went to a bar/restaurant called Kagaya. Kagaya is CRAZY. It is run by a man named Mark, and his mother does the cooking. It is such an experience. Mark wears costumes, dances, sings, has puppets and remote control robots. It's crazy! When you order your drinks, you have to choose a country and then he serves your drinks in the style of that country. I found a Youtube video of him serving drinks in what I imagine is the "Japan" style. Please watch this because it's better than I could explain:

So, we were having an absolute blast at Kagaya, me and my dad, and then the table next to us started talking to us. They were four Japanese business-people (two men and two women). They were very friendly and invited us out for ramen! (Even though we had all just eaten at Kagaya? I am still confused about this). So we went out and had ramen, and after we ate we passed a karaoke bar, and I mentioned that it would be fun. Apparently that was enough for them, and they decided we should all go rent a karaoke room (their treat)! We went up, rented a karaoke room, and sang songs together. They paid for the whole thing, even for our drinks. It was amazing! That was our last night in Tokyo and it seriously ended on such an amazing note. I really want to go back someday.

5. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I was shopping in a small alley in Madrid one day and I bumped into my classmate whom I didn't see for 20 years! It was such a surprise when I saw her waving at me. At first I ignored because I thought she was waving to the girl behind me, but she finally called my name. I had to stop for a bit to decipher who she is! It's such a small world!

6. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a certain moment that I think is the 'best thing', but I do have a certain feeling that was actually the best feeling. I'm originally from California, but my family and I went to New York City for my dad's business purposes. While he was out doing business meetings, my family and I went out touring the city. We had an incredible time and I just felt so free. NYC was an incredible experience and the feeling was that kind you get when you feel like everything just falls into place.

I remember Rockefeller in the morning was beautiful and Times Square at night was extremely memorable.

I will never forget my trip to NYC. One of the best vacations my family and I ever had.

7. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    A few years back I had to get to some small village in a remote location. First part of the trip was made by train and the last by hitchhiking. The train station where I arrived was a small almost deserted one in the middle of a field. Cars were barely passing by and after a long wait finally someone picked me up. The driver had no business going where I needed to go, he was going just to the next village, but because that particular area wasn't safe he made a detour of about 30 miles and took me to my destination. He didn't want any money for his trouble by the way. And so, to this day this remains one of my best memories involving travel and human generosity.

8. apple1989

apple1989Member

Threads:
    Once we had a vacation in Singapore, there was this Indian temple adjacent to a Catholic church. It was a magical moment because contrary to what we usually hear on the news, 2 different religions can co-exist. That feeling was just out of this world. For once I felt that there is indeed God. I felt his presence in that moment.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The best thing that happened to me was that I feel passionately in love. :) It just hit me out of the blue. I never expected my holiday to become a life changing journey. Four years later and we are still travelling together.
    I have met people while I was travelling that have become life long friends. It's amazing how different life can be when everyone is relaxed and all the daily pressures from work or family are removed and one can just be oneself.

10. apple1989

apple1989Member

Threads:
    I'm jealous. I would also like to find someone who likes travelling as much as I do. Too bad I travel with my family most of the time, so there is not much freedom to do things out of the ordinary. But who knows, maybe in the next destination, I'll find that special person.

11. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    wander_n_wonder! Same incidence happened with me in London. Three months ago I went to London to meet my aunt. One day I was going for lunch and suddenly I met with my classmate. We never meet even talk with each other since 10 years. She became a bit healthy and I was not sure is it she? Then she reminded me our old memories and I was just astonished.

12. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Okay it's not really the best but I think this is probably. So I was travelling back to the US, business class and I came to sit with this old lady. Very nice lady, has a lot of stories, just enough to be entertaining and not too much to be annoying.

Long story short once we got out of the plane she told me that she had a great time talking with me and before she left she put something in my chest pocket. For a moment I was worried that it was her number or something, turns out it's a $100 Amazon gift card.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The best thing that ever happened to me when traveling was meeting someone who forever changed my life. And no it's not love I'm talking about. It was much more than it. Prior to meeting this person I had just one goal — break into the entertainment industry and enjoy all it had to offer . . . fame, fortune and all that comes with it. But after meeting this person I realized that there was more to life than just making money. From then on I stopped reaching for the stars so I could smell the roses . . .