What's the difference between sunscreen and sunblock?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by 003 • May 19, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Okay, I am having confusion between the two. I thought before that they are just the same, but my friend told me that they are not. When I asked her the difference she can't give me an answer. She still insists though. So, now I am really wondering whether they are the same with just different names or completely different with the same function.

2. brandeis

brandeisNew Member

Threads:
    sunblock reflects the sun's rays, thereby blocking them from reaching your skin. Sunblock doesn't have a SPF because it protects the body from all UV rays. Usually, sunblock is a thick cream that should contain zinc oxide.

Sunscreen absorbs rather than reflects ultraviolet (UV) radiation. Sunscreen is a cream or lotion that is SPF rated. It reacts with the skin to create an invisible barrier against the sun.

3. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Their names say it all: sunSCREEN uses ingredients to filter (or screen) radiation to the skin. It basically acts like a sponge. SunBLOCK just blocks all the UV rays nearly completely, due to the reflective particles found in it. Sunblock acts like a mirror. Sunblock is usually less appealing because it's thicker and visible. Sunblock also is not labeled in SPF form like sunscreen is.