What's The Fascination With Texting?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by pafjlh • Mar 16, 2015.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe I am missing the point here. I know that texting does have a purpose, for example being used by the hearing impaired. But I feel as if way to many of us use it as some sort of hobby or past time. We seem to want to text more on our cell phones then actually talk on them.

I saw a commmercial some time back where a woman was getting mad at a man because she sent him 87 text that he didn't answer to tell him she was in the emergency room. My reaction while watching this commercial was why didn't you just pick up the phone and call him, no you text him all these times instead. I know it was just a commercial to show how some plans were faster then others but it annoyed me because I see how some in society would do such a this.

I guess I miss the point of texting, yes I have not really learned how to do it. I find it somewhat difficult and irritating to try to do. But I find that more and more people want to contact each other that way. Whatever happen to picking up a phone and talking to someone or sending them an email.

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't speak for other people but I HATE talking on the phone even moreso than being face to face. I don't know what it is about it. It was also how I got scammed. Maybe it helps that I have mental problems? I just do not do well with it. As a writer I find it much easier to text.
    It's even worse if I have to leave messages. If I have to call someone and they're not home, I just hang up immediately. I've never been good at leaving messages on the rare times I have had to.

3. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    It's just an easier way to communicate than committing yourself to a phone call. When you text you can carry on a conversation for hours or days and just pick up where you left off whenever you have time to answer. I'm not huge on texting, but I do appreciate the ease of it. If I want to have a serious conversation I do make a phone call though.

4. autograph

autographNew Member

Threads:
    Texting is usually an informal way of communication that requires no immediate reply. It gives both the send and receiver the flexibility to communicate at their own spare time respectively. A text is much less intrusive than a phone call.
    The general rule of thumb is to use phone call for any urgent matter. Anything less than that, a text will do.

5. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I guess texting does have a purpose. Kind of like Twitter in some ways its something that can be picked up on at any time. But for me I laugh when I hear its easier then talking on a phone. To me it anything but easy, its hard to figure out what's what, espcially when it comes to creating lower case and upper case letters. I guess it takes some practice like everything else we learn, but for me I just don't like doing it. Also, a thing I dono't like its how it seems to control people when you can't drive wihtout having to text I think you have a problem. Seriously, I am advocate to even putting our cell phone away without talking on it while driving.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's just easier and more convenient... people will often text someone while working, or on a meeting, or just hanging out. It's easier to text than to be talking to someone, specially because you can send messages and reply to them at your own pace, so you can be doing other things while you talk, or you could be talking to a lot of people at once!