What's the most you'd pay for a souvenir?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Apr 26, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would call it being sentimental but we all on occasion just might want to buy a souvenir to remind us of a place we visited. However, souvenirs, when bought at a touristy spot can be damn expensive.

What's the most you'd pay for such an item?

p.s By the way, buying your souvenirs from a local market is always cheaper than getting them at a touristy spot.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd say around $5-$10 per item is good enough for a souvenir, and even then, I'd be hesitant to buy them because a lot of them just end up being clutter for the people you give them to. I'd consider it more if it were something useful like a T-shirt with the local name printed on them, but nowadays, I think they are a bit too corny to wear and I personally just end up wearing those at home anyway. I'd spend much more on unique items that are the locality's specialty, but that's about it.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on what it is and the quality. Souvenirs aren't usually known for quality, so I naturally wouldn't pay too much for them. However if someone from my family asked for a specific souvenir I would bring them no matter the price (obviously to a certain limit...). I ended up forgetting to get it, but when I went to California I meant to buy a gorgeous hoodie and it costed $50. Which is a lot, but it was high quality and very pretty.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to buy small, handmade items that are unique to the region that I have visited, and want to be reminded of for a long time. I generally buy arts and crafts directly of the artist. I have a selection of beautiful woodwork, miniature paintings, metal sculptures, jewellery and other much treasured items that I have collected over the years, and that bring back happy memories.

5. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I'd say $10ish. We don't really get into buying t-shirts. We usually collect shot glasses, so we will buy one shot glass per place that we go - so we never end up spending more than $5. I have also gotten a magnet or postcard, in some cases.

6. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I can go up to $30 if the souvenir item is so unique and I will be able to carry it or transport it legally to my home. I have bought exotic musical instruments and wood carvings made by indigenous artists. Once I was able to buy a pair of swords but these were not allowed to be transported via cruise ship. We had to arrange for a local courier service to ship the item through door to door delivery. It was so much of a hassle, but it was worth it. I know better now and would not risk doing that again. Now I mostly buy food items as souvenirs.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would pay up to $50 for a hand-made souvenir. I am talking about some artisan work, like a painting, carving, casting etc. of something that is iconic to the region that I happen to visit. I never liked the "cheap" tourist trinkets that you will find in any town, so I never even enter those stores that have their goods mass-produced in some third world country. I prefer to support the local industry of the places that I visit, and give something back to the community that made my stay an unforgettable experience.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The most expensive souvenir item I bought is the jade that is carved into an unknown animal that looked like a dog or a puma. It is heavy, about 2 kilos and measures 8 inches in length. It costs me $200. But it was our first time in Thailand I didn't want to waste the opportunity... it was on sale. But in the airport in going home, our baggages were scrutinized becaues of that solid thing inside... which is that jade.

9. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy things for many people when I'm away, unless it's something like chocolate that they could enjoy, because I know that things only get thrown away eventually, so it would be a complete waste of money. I know so many people who buy loads of things when they go on holiday, and that money could be spent on something much more useful when they got home.

10. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I used to travel frequently with my grandparents as a child (via RV so multiple tourist attractions and places per trip) and I bought souvenirs from pretty much everywhere ranging in price from 51 cents to almost a hundred dollars. The only things I still have are pictures, memories, and a huge pile of squished coins (or whatever you get out of those machines) with locations and years on them. Everything else is long gone. Ultimately, none of the stuff I got was important and was usually gone within a year or two.

Now, I still use the coin squishing machines when we travel. Other than that, I spend my money on experiences and food.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends, maybe around $5? I'm not really into buying them, and most likely I will just buy a keychain, lol. I read an article that 1 person collects souvenir shotglasses when he goes abroad, so that's 1 nice and cheap thing to buy.

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel like it is hard to say, because when you are on holiday, or when you are somewhere novelty, you're kind of in a care free spirit? At least, when I am in those situations, I tend to be a little more carefree with money, so where I wouldn't necessarily spend certain amounts on products whilst at home, I may spend it for a souvenir. I'd probably spend up to £9.

13. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    Most countries I visit are third-world ones, and I find very qualitative items for a rather bargain price. Still, there are a lot of overpriced stuff and I'd say that I'd pay a maximum of $100 for a really good souvenir that's both qualitative and eye-catching, nothing more. $100 is somewhat risk-free. If the respective item turns out to be really unqualitative once I get it home, then those $100 would be reduced to $50 in the next trip!

14. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    I'd generally spend around £5 - £10 maximum (that's around $8 - $15, I think). I'm not really into expensive souvenirs. I like a little token which I can bring back with me as a reminder that I visited the place though. For me, souvenirs are less of showing off that I visited some place, it's more like having an object that symbolizes the memory of having visited that place. I don't like to spend a lot though, it's just a token really.

15. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I don't usually spend over $10 on souvenirs. I like to buy a Christmas ornament from each city that our family travels to, then at Christmas when we decorate the tree we have lots to reminisce about when we hang up each ornament from each different city. When I was younger I would buy t-shirts but I find that is too expensive now. I usually don't where the t-shirt and end up giving it away. Taking pictures are a better way to remember a trip and cheaper.

16. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't typically buy souvenirs. Rather spend $10 on a pair of drinks at a nice place with a view with my girl then a tacky T, take a few photographs for the memory.

17. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I don't generally buy souvenirs so there is no maximum limit for me - in fact if I were totally honest - I much prefer to spend my money on enjoying my holiday and take photographs - than waste it on what is normally nothing more than tacky over priced junk - particularly as photographs are not only free but also my most cherished souvenir - as they are what instantly bring back happy memories for me.

Although that said - as I have a soft spot for unusual and unique artisan products - I will sometimes bring back something that catches my eye - not as a souvenir but because I liked it - like the hand painted wall hanging I bought on my last trip - which I just had to have - as I knew it would look stunning on a large expanse of bare wall I had in my living room and I was right - it does.

18. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    For the small knick knacks, I don't like to pay more than $5 to $10 when it comes to souvenirs. However, if I go someplace that is famous for a particular artist or product, then I will pay more. In Amsterdam they had a lot Delft items - famous blue porcelain that were pricey and I bought something very small to have a souvenir as such.

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I wouldn't pay much unless the item is actually something I'd need. For example, I'd it were shot glasses with a nice design that I liked then I'd pay a good amount since I would need shot glasses anyway and them being a reminder of my travels would be a good bonus that I'd pay for if the price is fair. Otherwise, if it's just a tshirt or cap then I really wouldn't want to spend my money on it if it were more expensive than your average clothing gear.

20. elvisish

elvisishNew Member

Threads:
    I usually only pay the equivalent of about £3 ($5) or less for a souvenir when I'm going abroad or in the UK on holiday, things like postcards, keyrings, paperweights, pencils etc. Sometimes I might pay a bit more if its something really good or I needed, like when I was in Italy I needed a hat so I got a nice little cheap sunhat for £5, so I bit more than I would usually spend :) Especially if you want to get quite a few souvenirs, it can soon build up costs if you're buying more expensive things.