What's The Office Supply You Can't Live Without?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by ExpertAdvice • Sep 11, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    So, we've all either worked in an office before , or currently work in an office . Even if we haven't, we might have a "passing knowledge" about how an office is set-up in terms of the basic layout, what's usually found in an office, and how it "works" overall, right?

Well, I'd like to know what the most important office supplies are, if you can think of any? Gimme your top FIVE office supplies that you know, if removed, would cause the "flow" of the typical office to be disrupted

Here are a few examples: the printer, the copy machine, the fax machine, the telephone, Pens, pencils, papers, sharpeners, desks, computers...and the list goes onnnn!

So, let me hear from YOU!

2. EvanCross19

EvanCross19Member

Threads:
    I don't know if anyone else would consider a coffee machine being an office supply, but that is definitely something that would disrupt my office flow if it was missing. One thing I can't live without would have to be this nice desk that I'm using. It allows me to have both my personal laptop and my work computer side by side with easy access to both at any given time. Since I work from home, this really makes a difference. I guess I would be pretty useless without my phone and headset as well, seeing how I am a call center agent and all. I really like this topic and am curious to see what others would miss.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For some reason, I have always felt a big attraction to office supply stores, even though I haven't spend much time working in offices. I simply like buying quality pens, pencils and recycled printing paper there. Also, I enjoy the selection of fancy paper clips, erasers, pencil sharpeners and other useful accessories. I hope office supply stores will never disappear! :)

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't be able to function at work without these 5 items: desktop computer, coffee machine, notebook, phone and a pen!

5. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    Well, not including the actually computer - my top 5 would be:

1. Wireless keyboard and mouse
    2. Microsoft Office (Word & Excel, can't live without them)
    3. Pens and Pencils
    4. Spiral A5 Notepad
    5. Organizer with an appointment diary

6. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Thank you so much EvanCross19! I love your response, very creative and very relatable! Sometimes, I dunno what I'd do without coffee either! It's like it "calls my name" and says "I can't progress in my projects without it," lol. Coffee isn't that bad for you either! Studies show that having a little coffee each day actually boosts your memory, reduces pain in joints and muscles, and allows you to maybe even workout better! It's just that you have to watch how much of it you take in, but that's natural, right? "Everything in moderation" is the mantra of a healthy life it seems.
    I like the other supplies that you mentioned, and I love the fact that you manage yourself from your abode! That's a great tool to use, as you're more independent, no "hang-ups" about "office life", and you're able to gauge yourself a bit more, with no rigorous supervisor passing your office constantly, "breathing down your neck".
    Thanks much for your response! Great job!

7. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    That's so cool Dora M! I think the fact that you enjoy visiting office supply stores is just wonderful! It's a great habit to have! At least with that, you'll always be stocked! Ever tried becoming a retailer of office supplies? Know anyone who'd take you on with that and become your faithful customers?
    Even if that's not necessarily "the road you'd like to travel", your practice is still amazing!
    I too hope that office supply stores will never disappear. I just really even like the idea of them, and of all the supplies that they actually do have in display. It's like taking a kid to a candy store! You just look and look and LOOK! And it's like their supply of paper clips, rulers, staple machines, and glue guns, just never end! Office supplies rule! And they really do keep you feeling sharp!

8. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Thanks so much for responding isabbbela! I like the office supplies that you mentioned! I really do think that these five options are truly invaluable in nearly every office, because in today's world, let's face it: everyone needs a computer, in order to perform several functions (enter company data, facilitate research via the internet, allow for Skype conference calls, and so many more!); as regards the coffee machine, a little coffee everyday can actually keep the sickness and pain away! You'll always need a notebook (I'm thinking you mean the one that requires pen and paper! lol), to jot down all your appointments, concerns, and "to-do lists"; and you're always gonna require a phone, to keep in contact with customers and business partners, as well as the handy pen, to write in that notebook of yours, all that concerns the company's running!
    Thanks again!

9. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Hey Frogurt, thanks for your response! These are options for office supplies that really go in depth! Somehow, I never took the time to think about the invaluable keyboard and mouse, to facilitate the navigation of the all-necessary desktop computer; Microsoft Office, which is virtually the most necessary software for any office that is "worth their stuff"; pens and pencils--YES! Without a doubt, these are necessary for recording any details that concern the company's flow of operations; your Spiral A5 Notepad, which can never truly be outdated, and of curse, your Organizer with an appointment diary, which really does keep you in check when it comes on to managing your appointments with clients, as well as opportunities to expand and profit your business!

Thanks for your post!

10. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Pens that work!!! They love to run away or act up or not want to get started when you write the first letter. Good pens are crucial to getting anything done or communicating with others because you have to write notes for others and keep accurate records of what happened and what needs to be done.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pens that have the right feel to them, it's not just the have to the have to have the right tip and feel or I will not use that pen. Some pens have a fine tip and some pens have a thicker tip, I prefer the thin tips. I am assuming everyone knows the office has a computer and we need coffee, lots of it.

12. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    A good comfortable seat and a neat and spacious table. If those two things are not present I would really quit my job day one, it's basically the only things that can make me work and perform at my top speed. A lack of one of those will just cut my productivity in half.

13. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Probably a good computer. I always bring my laptop with me whenever I'm confronted with a slow and unreliable computer at the office. I always feel like I could've been doing something better if I had a fairly good computer since the nature of my job involves around using good computers.

14. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    It may seem small and insignificant compared to your examples listed, but I simply can't run my day without sticky notes. I'm constantly dealing with venders and dozens of calls from each that all have important conversations and notes to jot down to keep my records straight. I'm also always being thrown different projects left and right so I slap little sticky notes on each so I know what to do with each stack.

15. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There are a lot, but basically I wouldn't be able to maximize my productivity if I don't have a table and a comfortable chair to sit on while I am doing my work. I first need to have this before I am able to get done all my works. This means that without it - for me - no work at all could be done. Next of course are paper or scratches and pen. Everything else is secondary, without them I could still work.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My picks would be paper lips and clamps. I always have a lot more other uses for paper clips than just for office work since they are bendable and thus can be shaped into what you need for the moment. I often straighten it out to use for cleaning small spaces or to poke something that is in a tiny enclosed area. Clamps I love for using on not only paper bundles but also for closing up half eaten bags of snacks.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My desktop computer is definitely my number one and I can't do anything without it, but my second absolute essential is good quality pens. I love a smooth writing pen and my pens are often complimented and sometimes stolen.
    I can't be productive with just a crappy pen from the doctor's office, I need a good Uniball pen or a Japanese ballpoint pen.

18. juancarlos

juancarlosMember

Threads:
    My partner and i probably would not have the capacity to perform at the office with out these kind of items like pen, phone, envelopes and coffee machine.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think a PC is essential when you're working in an office. Also, a clutter free desk and a stash of working pens are a must when working in an office.

20. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would have to second this. In my opinion, and in my office at least, the computer/laptop is the most important supply. I would find doing much of my daily work next to impossible in the same amount of time that I am able to do it with my computer, without my laptop. I'd have to write everything out, which would take me forever.