What's the worst gift you ever received?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Kaybee517 • Nov 28, 2012.

1. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    With all the holidays approaching, I had to wonder. What was the worst gift you ever received during the holidays? The worst gift I received was a fruit cake. It looked dried out and old. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a hand me down gift.

2. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I usually don't want anything for Christmas and I am quite thankful for anything I get. However, some of the worst gifts I ever received came from my in-laws. One gift I was a small bottle of champagne (I don't drink), alcoholic chocolates (I don't like alcohol or those kinds of chocolates) and a book on how to get a sense of humour (I love Marx Bros., George Carlin and Woody Allen).

3. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I always get blouses that are too loud color wise or look like they are for a teenager. I guess when you've known some people so long they have a picture of you in their head that does not grow old so they keep buying for that person not the you now. It's a bit tricky since you have to wear it at some point so their feelings don't get hurt.

4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I usually try to be grateful for the gifts that are given to me. But I can think of one situation where the gift wasn't that great, and one of the things that made it so was I kept getting it every year. My sister would give me these pairs of bedroom slippers, that I didn't like because no matter how often she gave them to me, they didn't fit right. Now I know its the thought that counts, but not much thought was going into the gift since it kept coming every year, and not something I was known to use.

5. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I definitely agree! Two years ago, my mother bought me adult footed pajamas. My husband laughs every time he sees them sitting in my drawer.

6. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A gift certificate to a play that wasn't even in my town a long with a gift card to a store that i also did not know of or have in my town.

7. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    A billy big mouth bass fish that sang a song to you. It was bloody awful and done my head in. lol

8. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I hate it when I get a gift I don't like. I always feel bad for not liking it! I mean, we all get asked "do you like it?" when getting a new gift, right? I just can't lie. If I don't like something, I'll be like "uhhh... yeah, only that... *sweat drop* I don't like it in this color". My parents have got me clothes as gifts in different occasions and we definitely don't have the same taste for clothing. Even though I've let them know what kind of clothes I like (for example, what colors I prefer), they rarely get me something I actually like.

Getting a gift you don't like is just awful. You know you should be appreciative because someone thought of you and got you something, but if you don't like it, you just don't like it.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I sympathize with you on getting that fruitcake gift. I wouldn't be surprised if it were hand me down gift either. I have a feeling most of them just get passed around because a lot of people generally just dislike fruitcake. It honestly has stumped me all these years on why people keep giving them, it's like a conspiracy or something. :D Anyway, I got some socks from my sister some years ago. It's not that I didn't appreciate it, it's just that it wasn't even fun socks, they were just regular socks. I still love her though. :)

10. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I think it would a piece of underwear which is not even branded. I received it from one of my wacky friends in high school. :D I would say that it wasn't the worst but the craziest thing I've received. It would be OK if it is a girl who gave me that he is a dude! :D

11. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    Well I am always thankful for the thought that goes into giving gifts, but the one I could do with out is that family fruit cake, I hate fruit cake, lol. I love cake just not that one. But all in all , I'm still thankful for the thought and I give the cake to my brother, he loves homemade fruit cake!! So everybody is happy.

12. Joyce aka Nana

Joyce aka NanaNew Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I don't remember ever getting a bad gift. I may have at some point, but I really don't remember if I did. Most times I am surprised at how well people know me and choose the right gift. Our family does not give gifts just to be giving, they take the time to find something or if they feel they cannot get something that will be useful or appreciated we give gift cards. We all like to eat out so a restaurant gift card or a Walmart gift card is always welcomed.

I do remember when we would have school Christmas parties I would hope that I would get one of the Life Savers "books" full of candy. LOL. That was many years ago and that was a very coveted gift. :)

13. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    The worst gift I received was a pack of serviettes. Yes, it was colorful and pretty...but really, as a gift? It should be on the lunch table, not under a Christmas tree. That 'gift' really insulted and horrified me.

14. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I do try to be grateful for everything I get and that someone would think to get me something....but there was this horrible singing fish. I suppose it's intended to be hung up and displayed? Yeah. I re-gifted :/.

15. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I just got a gift, a dress 2 sizes large... when the person who gave it to me asked if I liked it.. I said yes,.not a word more or less. The truth was I liked the dress not the size.. i could see that the person had taken the trouble to find something I like and get it for me.. but had forget the details of size... I will keep it and value it for what it means to me...So for me there are no bad gifts.

16. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The worse gift I ever received was a cellulite removal system. I didn't even have any cellulite. I was an avid runner at the time.

17. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Worst gift would be a bar of soap, shampoo and deodorant packed together as a gift lol. Seem like telling you have to go take a bath.

18. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    My worst gift was a slip when I graduated because my aunt gave it to me and I know she didn't like me so she could have kept her money. She made a difference in myself and my cousin that graduated on the same day. I wish she had saved her money because all I did was sleep in it and didn't appreciate it at all when she bought my cousin a beautiful blouse.

19. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    The worst gift I ever received was a horrible lamp with a big orange and green shade on it. It was given to my by my stepdad and I had to get it out every time he came over because he wanted to see if I still had it. Does anyone have to get the gifts out when the buyer visits?

20. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I know its the thought that counts and i am grateful for everything i get, but i have received some really corny gifts. I once got the ugliest blouse it was hideous. Every now and then that person asked when am i going to wear it out or when are they going to see me with it on. I just say oh i wore it or i'll say i have find some pants to go with it.