What's The Worst Recipe You've Ever Tried?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ohiotom76 • Sep 5, 2012.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Every once in a while I'll try a recipe that sounded good on paper, only to find out it was awful. Other times, I will be suspicious of some of the ingredients and/or quantities of them, but soldier on with the recipe anyhow and have some faith that it will come out all good in the end, only to realize I should have trusted my instincts, lol.

One that immediately comes to mind was a recipe by Ina Garten for roasted vegetables with orzo. Your supposed to toss it all in this homemade vinaigrette that is also included in the recipe. I just remember two things in particular about making this, it made way too much - I had to put part of it in second bowl. And the other thing I remember about it was that I took a bite of it, and it tasted like vomit. Literally, taste and texture. You know that gross sour taste when you start to throw up a little, that stuff.

Any recipes you've tried out that were real stinkers?

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Well, this wasn't a bad recipe, but it was too much for two of us, and as we were newlyweds, I wanted to impress my husband with my cooking skills. The recipe was for toad in the hole - one of his favourites. I halved all the ingredients, except the milk for the batter, so we finished up with rock hard, overcooked sausages, in a milky mush that looked and tasted like vomit - or at least that was the nearest comparison I could draw.

3. ohiotom76

Threads:
    Well so much for impressing him! :-D just teasing. Actually I just saw that recipe for the first time in a cookbook recently. I hadn't heard of it before, sounds good. I might give it a try one of these days.

4. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I wanted to make a great Valentine's Day dinner for my boyfriend and it was horrible. I brought the meal over to his house to prepare it and his sister commented about it negatively. I was only in high-school at the time and I really wanted to make a good meal. It was stuffed pasta and meat sauce. The pasta weren't even cooked thoroughly and the sauce was so bland. I never cooked for him again lol.

5. BarryLejieg

BarryLejiegNew Member

Threads:
    I like to experiment with Alcohol beverages. I have tried many times to make new cocktails and many times I have failed. But the worst of all was the time when I tried to mix a Whiskey with an Orange Syrup, beer, salt and chocolate liquor. It smelled very bad but I wanted to try it, and when I tried it, I decided to never do any other experiment of this kind.

6. ohiotom76

Threads:
    Ha! I was following along with you with the Whiskey and the Orange Syrup, but then you lost me with the beer and the chocolate, lol. For what it's worth, St. Germain is a hiptser liquor that's been popping up on a lot of drink menus in recent years I've noticed. It tastes like lawn mulch - literally. Nice bottle, but that stuff is awful.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is my fault for buying one of those cheap cookbooks at one of those discount stores similar to Dollar Tree.
    Normally ,I'm good at baking bread and making homemade muffins and rolls. But I followed a recipe for Parker House rolls from the cheap cookbook to the letter and ended up with hard hockey pucks.

So sometimes a cheap cookbook is a bargain and sometimes it ended up at the dollar store because it's a lousy cookbook. Live and learn.

8. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    They were both vegetarian dishes and were absolutely awful.

The first one was a tofu rice dish. It looked like vomit with maggots. It was disgusting not only to look at, but even to eat.

The second was a vegetarian burger: it consisted of beans, oatmeal, flour, etc. It was, well, ewwww!

9. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    One time, I followed a recipe that I found online for beef burgundy/bourginon. It turned out horrible! I ended up somewhat fixing it, but I had to rinse off the sauce and start over. I followed the recipe to a T, too, but it was just plain nasty.