What's your favorite charity?

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by Jessi • Apr 12, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Title says it all....what's your favorite? Who do you most frequently donate to? Do you split it among several or just donate when things come up (like buying various goods that profits go to charity?)?

2. shanontherocks

shanontherocksNew Member

Threads:
    I donate to the Ronald McDonald charity and the Children's Hospital Network. Both of my little ones have had to be hospitalized at our local children's hospital, so the reason is that. I give as much as I can and I volunteer when I have a chance.

3. Coffeeaddict

CoffeeaddictNew Member

Threads:
    I give it directly to the beggars. I don't give them money but I buy them food and drinks and hand it over to them. In times of calamities, I donate clothes and I participate in campaigns that profits the victims.

4. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I have 3 places I donate to and I am not sure I can say one is more of a favorite. It really depends on what I am donating at the time as they are all different. Tho I do not donate to one of them as much since my kids are older now.

The places I like are:
    The Food Bank in town. I know they help a lot of people eat
    The local Thrift Shop - they sell things real cheap and it goes to other church programs. Also allows people to buy things real cheap. They take many different items
    There is a place for women with very low income here. It is a non profit organization that helps low income mothers get baby items that they really need. I don't get to donate there as much now that my babies are no longer babies in the house.

5. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    My favorite charity is my local food bank. The way I figure it, lots of people donate to the really big ones, like the Red Cross, but my neighborhood food bank is always close to running out of food and helping feed people. Demand has been up for a couple of years and hasn't gotten better and I have limited funds and resources to help, so I like starting in my community doing what I can.

6. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I always donate to cancer research and charities that help the blind, because I've lost several family members and friends to cancer, and the local Blind Institute was a great help to my mother when she went blind as a result of serious hypertension.

On a local scale, I'll donate to thrift shops and buy raffle tickets or attend fund raising events for local charities such as the food bank and Alzheimer's care in the community.

The only charities I will never donate to are animal charites and charites that help victims of alcohol and drug abuse. I love animals, but I have a limited amount of money available to donate, and I'd rather help people in need. As far as alcohol and drig abuse is concerned, well, I'm sorry that these people have problems, but they are mainly self-inflicted. I'd rather help people who are suffering from killer conditions through no fault of their own. I realise this view may not be popular, but it's my money, and I'll donate it as I see fit.

7. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know why it seems to me that when I donate for children it is the best thing I can do. I really feel like they need all the help they can get and that they didn't have their chance yet. I mean, it is always good to help, but some people are in a bad situation and it is really unfair. I think children should not be poor or sick or suffer in any way. So most of my donations are for them

8. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    I donate to animal charities, one in particular - a shelter for blind cats based in South Carolina in the US. I also do a 'Secret Santa' each Christmas, where I take a boot full of cat food to my local animal rescue and simply leave it outside for the staff to find the next day.

I donate to Comic Relief religiously each time it comes around. I think it's criminal that, for the price of a glass of wine, a child's life can be saved by something as simple as a mosquito net, and yet there are still millions dying each year of preventable disease. I've donated hundreds of pounds to Comic Relief, it's a cause I feel incredibly strongly about.

9. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    I donate whenever I see a donation box in the store or whatnot. I donate to the Ronald McDonald House Charity and the Children's Hospital whenever I can. This is because my youngest daughter was born premature and with pneumonia. We came really close to losing her a few times. She was rushed to the Children's Hospital in Atlanta and they were absolutely amazing. Since we didn't have much cash, we were able to stay at the Ronald McDonald house a few blocks away for I think 10 bucks a night. I can't recall. But they wouldn't kick us out if we couldn't pay. I'm glad that we could, though.

I also donate to the National Breast Cancer Foundation. My aunt lost her battle with breast cancer a few days ago. :(

10. melmac

melmacMember

Threads:
    Nothing But Nets--they take donations so they can buy bug nets to protect African families from the spread of malaria. Great cause for a country that can't afford something as simple as a net and it saves thousands of lives.

11. Some1else0

Some1else0Member

Threads:
    I usually donate to the Red Cross and CHKD.
    If a cashier asks me if I'd like to add an extra dollar onto my purchase to go to charity I do that aswell.
    Same goes with people collecting change for organizations outside.
    Afterall, if I was in a sticky situation I would want others to help me out... :)

12. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    My favourite charity is Cancer Research. I've had a few family members who have sadly passed away due to cancer, and since it affects so many people in so many different ways, I'm all for donating any spare change I have to help find a cure for the horrible disease.

13. cluckis

cluckisBanned

Threads:
    My favourite charity is JDRF. They have helped me so much with my Type 1 Diabetes, and they fundraise to find a cure for this awful disease. I don't donate for myself, I always do it for the other children, and adults with the disease. I also volunteer for them as well.

14. Moneysaver93

Moneysaver93Member

Threads:
    I actually have two charities I love. One of them is America's Thrift Stores because of their mission to help abused women and children find safety. The other one is the Make a Wish Foundation. I love that foundation because of what they do to help children who are critically ill fulfill their dreams. There is nothing better than to see a child's eyes light up when their dream is fulfilled.

15. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite charity to donate to is nokidhungry.org. I really feel like child hunger is a big issue in this country, but many people don't take it seriously because they think that only kids in third-world countries need help.

16. Jailynnsgrandma

JailynnsgrandmaMember

Threads:
    I donate to the food bank. I also donate to charities that help animals. I give to Make a Wish as well. There are other charities that I also give to from time to time. I think it depends on what is going on at the time. I try to give to where I think it will do some good. I do prefer to help someone directly though if I can.

17. xtinguish

xtinguishNew Member

Threads:
    I like to donate to any charities however I like the cancer and heart dieses ones. They are very personal to me.

18. ValerieAnne

ValerieAnneMember

Threads:
    St. Jude's Children's Hospital is my favorite organization. It's such an amazing place, and it always amazes me how happy go lucky all the children are. It gives me hope.

19. pizzaz007

pizzaz007New Member

Threads:
    I am from Pakistan and here are two famous working charities. Shaukat Khanum Memorial Trust And Edhi Trust. I often give donations to both of these.

20. meieden

meiedenNew Member

Threads:
    My favorite charity by far is Living Water International (

). They are a faith-based organization based in Houston, Texas that specializing in bringing clean water to people in countries who have none. Basically, the idea is that the number one cause of poverty in the world is lack of clean water (which leads to disease, time lost, and lack of education due to all of the time and effort spent looking for water). Living Water goes out and partners with villages in Central America and Africa that need water and drills clean water wells for them. It also goes one step further by building relationships with the community, getting the community involved so that they know how to work the well and feel like they are "own" part of it, and maintaining those relationships by returning to repair the wells. I absolutely love Living Water International and highly recommend checking them out. They also offer interested parties the opportunity of going on service trips with their teams to Central America to drill wells and teach hygiene to the villagers.