What's your favorite cleaning product or tip?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by kinser • Apr 21, 2012.

1. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say, just for cleaning purposes, ammonia does the best job (and it's cheap!) It's what I use on my floor daily. Obviously it stinks to high heaven though. There is a brand of all purpose cleaner called Fantasico, that I've only seen in a few different stores, and it smells soooo good. In fact, my sister in law told me she was obsessed with the smell when she was pregnant and in that "nesting" phase, LOL. Anyway, the brand has come out with a new spicy scent that I've never seen used in cleaner, and it smells awesome. It smells mostly like cinnamon. So lately I've been still using ammonia and water as the main compents of my floor-mopping solution, but I add a cap-full or two of spicy scented Fantastico for the smell. What are some of your favorite cleaning products or tips?

#1Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I use cheap white vinegar for everything. I use it for counters, floors, the stove, my laundry, stubborn things baked on to dishes... everything. When the smell gets to me (like in my laundry, for example) I throw in a capful of lavender oil.

3. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    Oooo, I love vinegar too! I use for so many things. I don't use it my floors because it tends to streak, but I have many, many other uses for it. It's great for removing odors (like in the disposal, the dishwasher, or your clothes washer). It's a great booster for laundry, I agree - I think I remember reading it makes the detergent work better.

4. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    We also use white vinegar and my personal favorite is bicarbonate of soda. It takes off all kinds of marks and cleans absolutely! It is also green as we have been greening up our products. I have not tried ammonia as yet, I will look more into it. Thank you...

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Just remember not to mix amonia with bleach because it makes a toxic vapor. You are also not supposed to mix bleach with vinegar. Here's a link for more things to watch out for with mixing cleaners.

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    What's interesting is I knew never to mix bleach with ammonia, but I didn't know never to mix bleach with vinegar. It's kind of scary to me that I didn't know that. Luckily, though, I rarely ever use bleach in my laundry, so I guess I've been safe so far, but still, it's kind of scary.

Thanks for the link.

7. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I was actually going to mention this same thing when I saw ammonia- Ammonia + Bleach is a big NONO... the fumes are toxic and can be deadly when inhaled!

8. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    My favourite cleaning products are my microfibre cloths, mitts and mopheads. All I need to use with them is plain old water. I go over my windows with a damp microfibre cloth, then polish them with a dry mitt. They come up sparkling clean with no smears. Same for the floors. And if I use a dry microfibre cloth on wooden furniture, it gets all the dust off and shines up the furniture a treat. I just use polish once a month, instead of a cuople of times a week.

9. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite cleaning product is elbow grease. That's the only way I get my exercise nowadays. Before I use LOC from Amway. It's a bit pricey but the amount needed each time is so little, that in the long run, it's actually quite cheap.

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    LOC? I have never heard of this. What is it?

11. racechick79

racechick79Active Member

Threads:
    I like to use bleach. It is great for the toilets once a week to keep all the fun marks away from having three boys in the house! I also like to put it in the kitchen sink and then throw toys in or other things that have gotten dirty. It not only cleans it really well just from soaking, but it also kills all the fun germs that come from two little kids! And, as an added bonus, it is pretty inexpensive and simple. Definitely a plus for any busy moms out there!

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm another one on the white vinegar bandwagon. It's too awesome. Other places I use it? In the dishwasher in place of the little blue rinse agents. I also sometimes mix it with baking soda for really caked on stuff on the stove or in the bathroom, etc. The bubbling action and exfoliating powers of the baking soda makes a nice combo with the vinegar.

13. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    You know, the Dollar Tree has some off-name cleaning products that work surprisingly well! One is called LA Awesome or something along those lines. There's another called Orange something. They almost work better than the name brands.

14. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite cleaning products are white vinegar and baking soda. You can literally clean virtually any surface in your home with these two natural ingredients. They cost pennies on the dollar compared to commercial cleaning products and they don't contain caustic products that harm your health. I refuse to use any chemical cleaning products because their ingredients are terrible.

15. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a big fan of plain vinegar as a cleaning agent. I didn't know about baking soda. Gonna have to try it. I have heard that adding vinegar to a dark load of clothes helps the black clothes keep their color longer. I haven't tested for myself yet.

@SEA81: I love LA Awesome laundry detergent and the non-chlorine beach buster. It gets my clothes so very clean. I first learned about it while living in Las Vegas. It was very hard to find in the 99 Cent Only stores because people were buying in by the caseload.

16. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    My favourite cleaning product is Cif, it's a local brand which produces a cleaning cream.
    It's really useful to clean almost everything, you can use it to clean shoes, chairs, cars interior, etc.
    Here you have a picture from it:
    LIMCICFCR.

17. katniss

katnissActive Member

Threads:
    White vinegar is my favorite too and the one I use most. I also recently discovered 'Sal Suds' which seems to have tremendous potential. It cleaned a stubborn blood stain (from a bad accident ) out of my carpet, I was sold after that! It supposedly cleans numerous things well in the house, so I'm just starting to play with it.

18. jrkrizco

jrkrizcoNew Member

Threads:
    I like using my steam mop along with the attachments to clean just about anything in the house. Pair this up with some good dry cloths and I'm good to go.

19. melmac

melmacMember

Threads:
    Bleach! It makes everything smell clean and it kills all bacteria/viruses. I took Microbiology last year and we did lab experiments with other cleaning products...most cleaning products--especially chemical free environmental products just moved the bacteria around. Gross! Even the hospital hand sanitizers only killed like half the germs. Bleach was my new best friend after Micro! lol

20. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really use many cleaning chemicals. I like dishsoap, vinegar and water for my kitchen and bathroom floors. You do have to be careful if you have wax on your floor, vinegar will take the wax off. Baking soda does wonders too. I use baking soda and vinegar in my drains, works great! I do not have bleach or ammonia, I haven't used one of them in years.