What's Your Favorite Flavor Girl Scout Cookie?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by mythman • Mar 12, 2015.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite flavor was always the Thin Mint ... so-much-so that I thought that was the ONLY flavor Girl Scout cookies came in.

But--when

reminded me that today was the anniversary of the day

--I found that there are

(Okay, just 12; but 1200% more than I thought there were!)

The flavor-quality is a matter of taste (I guess), but the sales (back in 2011/2012) ran
    • Thin Mints (25 percent)
    • Samoas/Caramel deLites (19 percent)
    • Peanut Butter Patties/Tagalongs (13 percent)
    • Peanut Butter Sandwich/Do-si-dos (11 percent)
    • Shortbread/Trefoils (9 percent)
    • with The other varieties, combined, accounting for the remaining 23 percent.
    Which ones are the most-nutritious? Well, they're ALL "kosher" with zero trans-fats---using high-fructose-corn-syrup only in some of the cookies (find out which in their information in the third link of this post) & using (high-quality) palm oil & conflict-free (no child-labor) cocoa & responsibly-sourced Genetically Modified Organisms in all the cookies, with a couple gluten-free options (Trios & Toffee-tastics) & diabetic diet-guides on the labels,

, etc.

Since the cookies are only available for a short time each year, there hasn't been enough demand for their Bakers to create 'healthful specialties' (whole wheat, wheat free, non-dairy, dairy free, sugar free, casein free, organic, low carb, low calorie, low fat, non-fat, fat free, etc.)

But--even if they produced a cookie that fights cancer--too much of ANYTHING is bad for you!

But--in moderation--which GS cookies do you most-enjoy? (and why?)

2. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    Samoas/Caramel deLites are my favorite type of girl scout cookies! I love all the ingredients; coconut, caramel, and chocolate are on the top of my list when it comes to desserts. They're different than most of the regular products you can buy at the grocery store. It seems like most other girl scout cookies have been mimicked by other companies and sold all year long. However, I have not found anything similar to Samoas/Caramel deLites.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had the money to buy girl scout cookies, but I had some at a friend's house and really loved the Samoas the best. I know they are selling them as a fundraiser, but they are quite pricy for cookies. Someday hopefully I'll be able to support the girls myself. I do like that they are learning some marketing skills doing it.

4. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    I agree that they are pretty pricey. I used to sell them back when I was a girl scout in grade school. Now, I rarely buy them and only have them when offered at another person's home. I wish there was some other brand that was like the Samoas, sold in stores all year round, and more affordable.

5. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I personally love the short bread and the peanut butter one, cause something like the thin mint for me gets old really quickly. I don't have Girl Scout cookies that often anymore so it's hard for me to say how much their taste and flavor have changed since I was little, but when the season comes around the peanut butter and the short bread one is always my go to :)

6. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I just bought a few boxes of both the Samoas and Thin Mints. My kids and sister love the thin mints, but I prefer the Samoas. I am a huge fan of coconut, caramel and chocolate. I would almost consider them diet kryptonite because I can literally sit down and eat an entire box.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite girls scout cookie is the thin-mint. I love chocolate and peppermint. the oatmeal cookie is also a favorite of mine. I don't worry about the diet when it comes to girls scout cookie time.

8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I remember reading something about the Girl Scouts trying to sell their cookies online in order to update a tad & get to more customers. I've always been a fan of the cookies not being available year round but I suppose making money to support the cause is a better move for them.

9. Nikole

NikoleMember

Threads:
    Absolutely the thin mint! I am not a fan of Samoas like most people, and I don't really know why. Unfortunately I can't have Girl Scout cookies anymore because I have to avoid sugar, but I've been known to make a sugar-free version at home. Good, but nothing will ever be as good as the real thing of course!

10. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    And I think the cookie-descriptions (linked above) explain the lessons the cookies teach!

Maybe that's another reason why they only sell cookies for such a limited time (beside the way the 'limited time' makes them seem more-valuable ... I think of Andre the Giant from Wrestlemania, who seemed like such a special star partly-because he appeared so rarely).

They mention that in their FAQs:

11. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    Thin mints!

12. aceofspad3s

aceofspad3sNew Member

Threads:
    Samoas! I always try to buy a box whenever there are Girl Scouts outside of my grocery store, though I haven't seen them during when I thought cookie-selling season was. I'll need to check out their calendar to see if I'm just off on my dates. Anyway, even though I try to avoid sugar, I'm a huge fan of supporting the cookie sales. I was a Girl Scout myself, and our troop leaders made sure that we learned all we could about business, math, and public speaking from making sales. They were fantastic in building those skills for me, so I try to contribute all I can to building those skills in girls today.

13. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    The top three ar my favorites. The thin mints are great the samoas are delicious and I can never get enough of the tagalongs. I am just grateful that I don't run into the girl scouts selling their cookies too often. I am also grateful that when I do happen to run into them I don't have to money to buy a box or more. This has helped my waistline considerably if the truth be known. Now I have heard that the girl scouts could be starting to sell their cookies online, this could be dangerous.

14. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    That's the good thing about poverty---you make it a habit to buy only what you need (careful to "splurge" only-when you know you've got more than enough to do it).

You're typing too quietly!

15. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I like the Peanut Butter Patties and my husband likes the Samoas. So, we end up getting a few boxes of each every year. They are hard to avoid with how persistent the kids are now a days.

16. katelynn Haralson

katelynn HaralsonNew Member

Threads:
    Thin Mints. I love mint everything anyway.

17. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    Samosas, definitely! I like a few of the others, but I never eat them. When my husband and I buy their cookies I get one box of solo as and he gets a box of thin mints. Me MIGHT trade a cookie or two but we pretty much stick to our own.

18. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    I use to favor the thin mints. My mom's work had a vending machine that sold mint cookie that tasted just like the Girl Scout kind. Maybe even better.

Now that I am older, my husband got me liking the Samoa cookies. I think it is Turkey Hill ice cream that has Girl Scout cookie flavors ice cream and the Samoa ice cream is very tasty.

About a year ago, we noticed in our local Giant grocery store, that they were selling their own brand if thin mints, peanut butter, and Samoa. They taste good and are half the price of the Girl Scout cookies.

19. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I thi m certain Girl Scout cookies are better than other brands. The Samoans, particularly. The thin mints, though, are definitely just as good as from other brands! The truth is if I can find a cheaper alternative to anything I'm going to give it a shot.

20. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Definitely the thin mints. Its not even a contest really. Ive been crushing those by the box full since I was a kid. Ive tried different flavors but nothing really held a candle to those babies. I have to watch my intake because they are so addictive.