What's your favorite plant to have for vegetables or fruits?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by dieselfit • Nov 12, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I know some plants can save a lot of money for some people. Tomato plants are easy and portable, as well as watermelon plants. Anyone can plant these at home, inside or outside, and it would save time and money spent getting these at the grocery store. What's your favorite plant to have for this purpose?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the tomato plant to help save money. I tried to grow my own lettuce but it didn't grow too well. I also like to have my own green beans growing.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have mango, calamansi, guava, and tamarind in our backyard. It is quite convenient if you have plants of your own since it can save you money in the long run.

4. Jennyflower81

Jennyflower81New Member

Threads:
    I've been vegetable gardening for several years, and I've learned a lot from my job working in a garden center. I've discovered that the easiest vegetable plant to grow is peppers. I always grow them from seed, so the cost of getting started is next-to-nothing, especially if you recycle containers from year to year. I use an organic seed starting mix for soil, which costs about 6 dollars. I'll usually plant about 40 seeds, and with good luck, about 35 will grow. These plants can be transplanted into the ground around the last week of April, any earlier would be too cold. I always make a small mound around the base of the plant for stability. Last year, I tried a packet called "spicy pepper mix" and it came with purple peppers, jalepenos, and chilis, among others. I'd say it takes about 5-6 weeks for the transplants to grow mature peppers, but they will keep going until Autumn. I picked many pounds of peppers last summer, from which I made pasta sauce and stuffed peppers. I preserved the hot peppers to use all winter. I think that growing peppers is very simple. To maintain the crop, just water every few days, make sure the plants don't have pests, and put the plants on a stake if necessary. They will tolerate a full day of sun.

5. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I don't necessarily like vegetables, but if i had to chose one. I would choose one i would corn. I ate corn regularly whenever i cook Chicken, and Rice. My favorite fruit would be Grapes. I absolutely love the taste. I would eat them all day if i could. The only bad thing about grapes is that they are really expensive.

6. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    For flavor alone, my vote goes to the tomato plant. You simply cannot beat garden fresh tomatoes in the summer.

I also love homegrown blueberries. I don't currently have the space to plant them in my yard, but there's a pick-your-own farm near my house that I try to hit once a week in peak season. They are amazing and a really good price.

I'd also love to grow strawberries. Again, I don't have a lot of space, but I know lots of people who do them in planters in their front yards, so that is my plan this year. I understand the yield might be small, but for a few weeks of really juicy and delicious berries, it seems worth the work to me.

7. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    As mentioned, I love tomato plants not only because they're easy to grow, but they have sentimental value to me. My Opa taught me everything I know about gardening and tomatoes were his favourite. Growing them reminds me of him. They're also great over the winter; you can freeze them and make sauces.

8. sgreenwood

sgreenwoodNew Member

Threads:
    Tomatoes are hands down my favorite. Nothing beats the flavor of a homegrown tomato.