What's Your Favorite Salad Dressing?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by hayrake • Mar 14, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Growing up, I hated salads. It was many years before I realized that it wasn't the salads but the nasty sweet french dressing my mother always chose. Yuk!!!
    Once I discovered that other dressings were actually good I became a salad freak. Fully enjoying the salads I had always hated before and making up for lost time in eating them.
    Blue cheese and ranch are my favorites. I make my own version of ranch at home, so that's what I use most often. When I go out, though, I treat myself to some good creamy blue cheese on my salads.
    And no--absolutely no--low fat! Low fat ruins everything.:)

2. Rocky55119

Rocky55119New Member

Threads:
    My favorite salad dressing has to be Ranch.

Not only is it easy to find, and a good price to pay for it, it has a distinctive great taste. I know people that hated salads, but once I introduced them to ranch they only eat them now. Not even kidding, some of them became vegetarians for salad.... Anyways, it is a very good salad dressing available at most places, and I enjoy it the most.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use salad dressing.. so full of fat and salt and sugar and ick. So unnecessary and horrible for your health. Kind of defeats the purpose of eating a healthy salad. My favourite is just a blended mango poured on top. Or any combinations of fruits.. endless possibilities. You can also make something creamier by using avocado or certain nuts. Lots of DIY *healthy* dressings you can make yourself..

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not super crazy about ranch dressing personally, since most of them on the market are loaded with MSG, and I dislike that fake processed food taste from the MSG on fresh vegetables like that - it just seems to defeat the purpose of eating fresh food.

I do love me some Blue Cheese dressing, and I especially love to make it at home when I have the time and the extra cash to pick up the ingredients. It's really pretty simple, just some mayo, buttermilk or cream, and some sour cream as the base, throw in some blue cheese crumbles, and hit it with some garlic powder, black pepper and Worcestershire sauce. I also throw in some fresh chives if I have them. Let it rest in the fridge for a few hours so all the flavors can blend, and that's it.

Other than that, I most often eat my salads with just some red wine vinegar and olive or canola oil. I like French or Catalina once in a while too though, when I get tired of the savory dressings.

For some reason, if I buy salad mix in a bag, which is often bone dry and tastes like paper and cardboard, I go for the creamier bottled dressings. But if I make the salad myself with fresh veggies, I go for oil and vinegar.

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Recently I've really taken a liking to Japanese salad dressings. They're much lighter and use ingredients such as soy, yuzu and sesame to impart a really refreshing flavor. Definitely worth a try!

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love most salad dressings, low fat or calorific; I honestly don't care. Life's too short! if I like it, I'll have it. I can't really say I have a clear favourite, but aged balsamic vinegar with a drizzle of olive oil is lovely. Honey and mustard is another one that comes to mind.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always loved vinigrettes and Caesar's. There are usually the type of salad dressings I purchase whenever I buy ready-made salads from groceries or at the restaurant. I cannot think of anything else.

8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I just use vinegar. It doesn't have to be balsamic & it definitely doesn't have to be reduced. I just enjoy the taste of vinegar on salads &/or sandwiches. Strong flavours are delicious to my personal taste buds. Others in my house? Not so much.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a fan of vinaigarette dressing and good old fashioned salad cream. I make my own vinaigrette to save money, I just put the olive oil and the vinegar in an old clean jar, give it a shake and it's done. Otherwise, I end up spending money on a bottle of dressing that won't get fully used.

10. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Balsamic vinaigrette was the first salad dressing I ever truly liked, and one of the only ones I still like. Usually I just shake some Parmesan on my salad and skip the dressing, or even eat it with nothing at all. Not a huge dressing fan. I'd rather save my calories for more nutrient dense foods.

11. joycemcgregor

joycemcgregorMember

Threads:
    I am among the many who love ranch dressings. I use it on salads, dip vegies in it, chicken finger, pizza, and garlic bread. I know it has way to much fat in it, but I just cannot help it. I love the creamy taste. I will use it bottled, made from the dry packet ( I only like Hidden Valley dry mix ) and also from scratch.

12. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite salad dressing is blue cheese and I always pick that kind if I order a salad at a restaurant. There are other kinds I enjoy as well like ranch, French, thousand island, and honey mustard.